Young drivers insurance

TheRealExile

My lad Sean's insurance(he's 18) was over 2 grand for a black box policy with 6000 miles max on it, half way through unsurprisingly he's getting close to that...they want 250 quid now per 1000 miles. (robbing gits) How on earth can kids without parents who pay or contribute afford to drive these days? It's nothing fancy either just a Polo. (All the Corsa's we looked at in his budget were fault ridden so that was the best option) I still remember being 17 and struggling to pay the 285 quid for my Manta, the woman at the brokers told me to get a mini...:rolleyes:

I remember being 18 and test driving my first Manta, she was a Carmine red coupe and that's when I fell in love...at first sight.  Then the insurance was far too much.  Ended up going on my father's insurance on his silver Chevette......had fun in that.....nice wee tight handbrake in her.....ended up one night with rear wheels hanging over a ditch, spinning in mid air.....had to get a couple of lads to give us a push outta that one........narrow Irish country roads in a Chevette?......that's where I learned to drive......

• Like 1

Yep its a shame, but unfortunately he belongs to a class of drivers who have a group that tend to be invincible (in their own minds) & drive that way.

Its a sod especially if you think your own has more sense.

Had the same thing with my daughter & every time I see a young un acting like a tool with point & squirt motoring I think, "thanks for that" you cost me a grand.

Dan @ Adrian Flux, do you put under 25s on Classic policies?

My 2 are pretty sensible although I'd guess the black box monitoring every bit of braking and acceleration keeps them honest! I have seen some policies where they can have a 2nd classic car for not a lot but doesn't help when they/I have to shell out a fortune for the primary car policy. 

18 hours ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi,

When the policy is due for renewal please feel free to give us a try. I'd be pleased to try and help out.

Regards,

Dan.

Dan, the eldest 19 in May  is up for renewal on his Birthday,  will be his 2nd year so hopefully be a bit cheaper this time around, I'll get him to call you. 

Edited by TheRealExile
typo