1800 clutch cable

biffy1984

There are about four different cables from gte to 1.8 manta look at part number on old cable

Ask kev abbott he will know what is what he has gone through sll part numbers on cables due to  having too long a cable on the mancona

Wonder what the difference is between a GTE & 1800 clutch cable ?

Don't how they would differ because the brake pedal, bulkhead, clutch release arm, gearbox (except starter motor bulge), gearbox position all appear the same.

Yep. Going through my spares we put a 5 speed cable onto the Mancona. 

It didn't work. 

Digging through all my getrag cables ( 4 speed completely different ) I found 4 different lengths with different bell housing to arm pivot ratios. 

We eventually put the shortest cable onto the Mancona and it now works great. 

See if I can find a pic. 

Er. No. 

Doffert part numbers on the getrag cables too

8 hours ago, Kevin Abbott said:

Yep. Going through my spares we put a 5 speed cable onto the Mancona. 

It didn't work. 

Digging through all my getrag cables ( 4 speed completely different ) I found 4 different lengths with different bell housing to arm pivot ratios. 

We eventually put the shortest cable onto the Mancona and it now works great. 

See if I can find a pic. 

Er. No. 

Doffert part numbers on the getrag cables too

Thanks Kev, I will have a look and see if there's a part number on it, failing that I'll measure it and see if we can suss out a number from there. I assume they're still available though?

Last time i went to buy a clutch cable for a GT/e at my local parts factor they were no longer available on their system or from any of their suppliers :o

I always thought the different lengths were for different engine/inlet manifolds so they were a smooth curve in the engine bay around the obstructions of the engine etc They will all work the clutch its just some are shorter so will not go around the inlet manifold/exhaust on the GT/e which needs the longest cable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mantasrme said:

I always thought the different lengths were for different engine/inlet manifolds so they were a smooth curve in the engine bay around the obstructions of the engine etc They will all work the clutch its just some are shorter so will not go around the inlet manifold/exhaust on the GT/e which needs the longest cable.

This has come up before and there were four different cables. The length being different.

1800 left and right hand drive.

GTE left and right hand drive.

All clutch pedals have the sane length pedal and give the same distance pull through the same arc.

The clutches for all five speed cars need to be set with the same clutch arm distance.

A few things effect the use though. If the pivot bolt isn't set correctly you can run out of thread on the adjustment of the cable. I've seen washers under the nuts to try and resolve this.

The other issue, which I've had, is the cables stretch if the clutch gets too heavy before being changed. Then it's almost impossible to set the clutch properly.

I should imagine that most old/original cables are stretched to some degree by now.

Throw in the factor of tolerance of different pressure plates etc it can get very frustrating.

So basically a GTE one will fit but will be a bit longer and as long as I have my fork set properly it should work fine? What's the proper way to set the fork then? How much between release bearing and clutch or is it a so much slack on the fork? I've ordered a GTE cable off eBay anyway so will see when it arrives.

8 hours ago, biffy1984 said:

So basically a GTE one will fit but will be a bit longer and as long as I have my fork set properly it should work fine? What's the proper way to set the fork then? How much between release bearing and clutch or is it a so much slack on the fork? I've ordered a GTE cable off eBay anyway so will see when it arrives.

Everything you need to set it up is in the Haynes manual.

• Like 1

This has jogged my memory, i once had a Manta run out of adjustment when fitting a new clutch cable, this was before there was this website to ask for help, i could not work out why the new Manta clutch cable wouldn't fit, to resolve the problem i made a crude spacer to clamp around the part that plugs into the baulkhead.

Judging from this experience there must be a difference between relative lengths of inner cable and outer sleave, i know that some cables use a large metal block spacer at the baulkhead, perhaps the cable i bought was intended to be fitted through one of these.

Nearly every five speed clutch cable setting issue I've seen has been the pivot bolt not being set correctly for the clutch release arm or the cable has stretched.

But once you get into conversions with different clutches then you need to just try and find out.

• 5 years later...
On 17/04/2016 at 13:19, Snowy said:

This has come up before and there were four different cables. The length being different.

—-

If the pivot bolt isn't set correctly you can run out of thread on the adjustment of the cable. I've seen washers under the nuts to try and resolve this.

I’ve been having issues with what I assumed was a dry bearing but could equally be a clutch issue. As I didn’t fancy trying to take the gearbox out on ramps on my drive I decided to get bearings, a clutch kit and cable then booked it in with my local garage (excellent old school values & expertise )  

New clutch is in but they’ve apparently run out of thread as described by Snowy and are concerned that there’s an issue with the new clutch I supplied  

Do I suggest they compare the new cable with the new one & mention the pivot bolt issue, is it possible that’s been adjusted in the past to compensate for a worn clutch & stretched cable?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-MANTA-B-1-6-1-9-2-0-78-88-VAUXHALL-CAVALIER-Mk1-78-81-NEW-CLUTCH-CABLE-1173-/133012010770?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

this was the cable I purchased 

12 hours ago, Trooker said:

I’ve been having issues with what I assumed was a dry bearing but could equally be a clutch issue. As I didn’t fancy trying to take the gearbox out on ramps on my drive I decided to get bearings, a clutch kit and cable then booked it in with my local garage (excellent old school values & expertise )  

New clutch is in but they’ve apparently run out of thread as described by Snowy and are concerned that there’s an issue with the new clutch I supplied  

Do I suggest they compare the new cable with the new one & mention the pivot bolt issue, is it possible that’s been adjusted in the past to compensate for a worn clutch & stretched cable?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-MANTA-B-1-6-1-9-2-0-78-88-VAUXHALL-CAVALIER-Mk1-78-81-NEW-CLUTCH-CABLE-1173-/133012010770?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

this was the cable I purchased 

If your cable is new and you've set the clutch fork correctly then you have the wrong cable.

There are a few different lengths depending on which engine and gearbox you have.

1 hour ago, Trooker said:

2.0 CIH & Getrag 240 standard GTE setup. 

Do you know the right cable part number by any chance?

I might be able to dig it out. The issue is most sellers just one size fits all because the ends are the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trooker said:

2.0 CIH & Getrag 240 standard GTE setup. 

Do you know the right cable part number by any chance?

Here are the four different lengths of clutch cable.

There is an original B four speed.

A later four speed.

An 1800 5 speed and a GTE 5 speed.

Hope this helps show you the difference. 

20210624_125548.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hi. no thats the wrong one. its for an earlier model (up to around 77/78)and has the adjustment by circlip position at the bulkhead rather than the pedal.

trouble is also .lots of garages wont know that you adjust the arm first with the awkward to reach adjuster and try to do it with the cable.a new clutch on a previously old clutch adjustment will bring the lever right up to the front of the slot so there would be no movement available or not enough.

as snowy says,its explained very well in the haynes book .they need to get the arm set right first before thinking about the  cable.then they can try the cable and see if it will bring the pedal up.

as mentioned .most if not all models ? have the large cylindrical damping block fitted at the bulkhead end and if this is missing then you would need no end of washers to space it out ,if at all . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

hi. no thats the wrong one. its for an earlier model (up to around 77/78)and has the adjustment by circlip position at the bulkhead rather than the pedal.

trouble is also .lots of garages wont know that you adjust the arm first with the awkward to reach adjuster and try to do it with the cable.a new clutch on a previously old clutch adjustment will bring the lever right up to the front of the slot so there would be no movement available or not enough.

as snowy says,its explained very well in the haynes book .they need to get the arm set right first before thinking about the  cable.then they can try the cable and see if it will bring the pedal up.

as mentioned .most if not all models ? have the large cylindrical damping block fitted at the bulkhead end and if this is missing then you would need no end of washers to space it out ,if at all . 

This is all true.

As I said previously, most cable adjustment issues stem from improper adjustment of the clutch arm.

• Thanks 1