85 GTE runs but stalls

Spitandpolish

Hi All

The car starts easily, and will rev smoothly through the range, immediately you back off the throttle,it just dies i.e. won't idle at all.

Previous owner advised this was a recent development, but the car had been in storage for a few years, last MOT was 2011 and the fuel tank contained only fumes. Fresh fuel and a check of all hoses etc replacing a couple that were perished - same fault.

The car has been serviced with new oil and filter, new air filter and while I have not had the plugs out, they also look very fresh.

Any ideas gratefully received...

45 minutes ago, andyc said:

If this is an injection model and has been standing it could well be the idle control valve is stuck. Take it off and give it a good wash out with carb cleaner and see if that helps

Andy

Thanks Andy, I have discovered lots of oil and carbon in the inlet to the throttle body, and have ordered some carb cleaner to get it sorted. As soon as I can identify the idle control valve, I will clean that too!

Mark

Its a slow moving valve, if you stick 12v up it you still need to wait 5 mins or so to see it move.

The little gap you see is a disc that rotates to change the size of the gap. If i remember rightly its operated by a bi-metalic coil that unwinds slowly as it gets warm from voltage flowing through it (similar to the old auto choke on carbs)

90% closed is the fully open position, then when its warm it moves to fully closed. It is not supposed to open to the full pipe size.

It isn't like a more modern idle control valve that can move quickly open/closed by ecu control on a closed loop to the throttle and engine revs, its just a slow moving auxiliary air valve for bleeding air in for the first few minutes of the engine running to ballance out the idle until everything is warm.