1979 opel manta berlinetta coupe

flatfish

This is my 79 chrome bumper Berlinetta SR auto coupe I have been enjoying Manta ownership again  (had 2 back in the 80s -and an Ascona, and a Commodore.)  but we have just bought a camper van (in need of work)  was intending to have one in a year or so but jumped in for this one. some may have seen my car at Billing and on the forum under projects when owned by the previous owner.  It is very solid in excellent condition  and has done 78000 miles.   Im having trouble downloading pics but if you go to Car and Classics website, it will be listed soon on there with pics etc.  I am looking for around £5000 and i am situated in West Midlands. This is a very nice example of our favourite car!   Want any more info i will be pleased to answer,   John

Know this car well & it is a great example of a chrome bumpered B

Last owner (Droop snoot Firenza) sold it way to cheap after all the very good work he put in on it.

Link to the previous sale

Link to the restoration project

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/37763-79-sr-coupe-project/?page=1

GLWTS John, your car is definitely worth what your asking.

Hi  it was me who swapped the quads back to the original square type. It came with quads when I bought it and although they looked ok fitted to a chrome bumper 2 slot Manta- I changed them back.   As far as work done by myself I have concentrated on improving the bodywork, the previous owner had done lots to the car in such a short space of time(as shown on the forum-members restorations)  there were areas that needed tidying.  I decided to have the car resprayed in original Flamenco red, and dealt with any rust. This turned out to be very very minimal a welded patch about the size of a 50p coin on the lower part of the a frame.  As for the rest of the car when I purchased it the roof ,bonnet ,and trunk lid where faded hence the repaint. Mechanically I have had no need to touch much apart from recondition the radiator I have spent many hours in the garage creating what I think is a very nice early B.  Just ask if you need more info  regards John

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes I know where your coming from in respect of multiple car ownership,  I am now down to my daily driver and the dreaded T4 campervan!    If it is of any use to Manta owners looking to sell their pride and joy in the future  I really think Mantas are about to gain in value considerably in the very near future. I did indeed receive the asking price for my Manta   and personally think that Mantas in general are a far better buy  enjoyment wise etc  than some other makes of 70s and 80s  classics(  no names  etc)    Of course it is a buyers market at the moment and a car will only be worth what someone will pay,  but I stuck to my guns holding out for the asking price   (rejecting lower offers from people that never came to view)    as they say    they don't make em any more!!

• Like 2

Well done John in achieving your asking price of £5000.

I thought your car was worth that & maybe means that the two slot nose B's are finally going up in price as they are now pretty rare finds.

As you say I also believe Manta prices for all models are increasing by an average of 20% PA.

• Like 1

Totally agree - well worth the asking price. Original B series are getting quite sought after and Manta prices in general are starting to catch up with other similar classics of their era. If you want a decent Manta now, £5k has to be where to have to start budgeting.

• Like 1