C Reg GTE non sunroof coupe restoration. FINISHED AND SOLD

Kevin Abbott

15 minutes ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

:blink:

Yeah, Ive been back and edited my last post because it was crap because Im tired !  it ought to make sense now.

There are three sensors in the 2.0E thermostat housing:

1.     Injection temperature sensor (blue)

2.     Thermo-time switch (brown)

3.     Temp gauge sender

The temp sensor is the single sensor type – each pin is one side of the resistor. Characteristics are:

Temperature (Celsius)

Resistance (Ohms)

4,800 – 6,600

2,200 – 2,800

1,000 – 1,400

270 – 380

< 200

The thermo-time switch is a two part switch. It only operates at water temperatures below 35C and only operates for 8 seconds when it does. At all other times it’ll be open circuit.

• Like 1

The only times i've had cars that started but would die if you tried to rev them up were one air leak in the inlet pipe, and the other was a carb'd engine that was a partially blocked up jet, and the last one was a GTe that had melted the inside of the injection loom touching out various wires (which i think were the sensor wires)

Its interesting that it will only start on one of 5 ecu's you have tried. Looking at the odds of having 4 faulty ecu's or 1 faulty one, i'd say the 4 are ok and the dodgy one is the only one that it will start with. I'd certainly be checking the sensors against what Paul has posted and see if one is miles out. If the one ecu is out the other way then it would even out enough to start, but the other 4 would be miles out on the mixture. If the ecu thinks the engine is hotter/ or colder than it really is it will adjust the mixture the wrong way and it will be too rich/weak to rev up. 

• Like 1

OK. 

Andrew came up with an idea of trying parts from the mint GTE we have in the yard. 

Swapped the ecu from that into the lemon and it turned it into a peach :lol:

Yep, 5 ECU's. 4 it wouldn't even start on or locked up on. 1 it started on but wouldn't rev. 

The ECU from the hatch even has the same part number as all the other ECU's we tried and it failed on. 

It looks like the ECU's have developed faults while being in storage in a dry loft. Possibly dry joints due to temperature changes over the 15 years they have been in the box?

Never ever had issues with manta ECU's before and what's the odds of having so many bad ECU's!!

At least we can crack on with the recommissioning of the car now after it being off the road for years with this fault. 

• Like 2

Oops, never thought that after changing so much ECU's it would be that!

Great you found the problem, hope I never have that problem cause I have 2 Manta's.

One L-jetronic and the other one LE-jetronic. Have both ECU's in spare so got to test them before I have problems...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kevin Abbott said:

It looks like the ECU's have developed faults while being in storage in a dry loft. Possibly dry joints due to temperature changes over the 15 years they have been in the box?

I would want to plug them into a good car to make sure.

My guess on duds would be damp from rotten foot wells had maybe sewn the seeds of failure years ago.

However, My car did the same on one occasion and not seen it since , My brothers did it for a couple of days and never has again with nothing changed on the car,and thethird person I knew with this issue broke the car.  Oh and the one on here blamed it on a petrol tank swirl pot which I thing was a red herring.

Glad you got it sorted, or do you still need to find another good ECU?  I think I have a few (but so did you till recently)

• Like 3

On 18/09/2016 at 01:24, mantadoc said:

Glad you got it sorted, or do you still need to find another good ECU?  I think I have a few (but so did you till recently)

Thank's for the offer Mantadoc.

I went searching in the loft again for another ECU so we could give the one back to the white hatch we sold last year.

I found this funny labelled one in the loft

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

plugged it in and we have a winner, the car goes like f@@k now with the kent cam in it too. I need to check it for a LSD as it loves doughnuts in the yard!

These are the ones it wouldn't run  on, as you can see they all have the same part number as the one with the white label but the white label one is the only time I have seen that type.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Now it runs we can dig in a bit more so it's interior out to look at the floor...

Drum roll please.......................................................

It's OK:thumbup

Yea it's had some welding from the previous garage and they hadn't treated any rust so we got the bilt hamber out and slapped some on..

Started tidying up the engine bay, pulled another alarm off 

Thermostat seemed sticky so changed that

We started sandblasting and painting parts to make it look better and then the blasting cabinet broke, doh!

Moved on the the underbody next, the previous garage had done the weding but left it rough so we ground it all back, treated with bilt hamber hydrate 80 and the sealed it all with stonechip stuff

Eagle eyes will spot polyflex bushes and the crappy brake lines I need to replace

Boot cleaned and painted in Taybars finest satin black, great paint

That was a few days ago now and we will try and get some more done at weekend, driving my Manta down to fix another Manta makes me realise why I do it 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

More work done over the past couple of weeks

All underneath treated in hydrate 80, then Electrolux, then hit with a stonechip type material.

Engine bay was scruffy so we flatted it, treated rust with

bilt hamber as per usual and painted it in a match as close as we could get our paint supplier to supply

with the bay looking nice the engine looked poo so we pained that in 2k gloss black and also did all the crossmember and axle

400 mirrors to go on

Rad and ancillaries cleaned and painted

Time to build the engine parts up and address the interior

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The work on the engine bay turned into a rabbit hole we couldn't get out of, paint one thing and the next thing looks rubbish.

So it turned into a full engine and bay detail

Picture dump

New yellow sticker from Germany, 10 euro for that!

Boot seal wasn't what I thought it was and not manta

All engine put back together, lets get a battery on it and start it up..

Brum Brum?

No!!!

Arrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgghghghghghghghgghghghghghgghghghgghghghgghghghghghghghghghg

What is going on?

Hmmmm, we had masked off the back end as we are painting the lower rear panel and we had sealed the exhaust.. Doh!

Removed and it fires up very nicely indeed

Door cards off to mount the 400 mirrors, oh God previous bodge merchants have been here too, why add central locking motors with a brace on only one side? W@nker$

Window mech welded with pigeon poo so I have to swop all that out and the glass too

Late clocks with aircon were fitted so I have changed them for proper ones

Drivers seat requires a repair next and then we can start to detail the interior as it's missing some parts

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

More work done. It's nearly ready for the bloke we are doing it for to collect.

Window glass swapped, central locking motor was hitting the glass so we binned that.

Bonnet painted

New boot trim and Rad tray made from millboard 

Bonnet cable/ latch sorted

Interior cleaned

Front discs and pads, calipers re built

Boot light fixed

New water pump

New battery

An Andy rutter tune up

All satin trim masked off and painted, mirrors painted

Seat repaired

Fecking masking tape took some of the millboard surface off, note to self, use chalk

Boot tank cover made out of the same stuff

Loads of other little jobs sorted, parts collected and fitted

Nearly done, thank God

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks since the updates but the car passed the MOT with no advisories and the new owner came and collected it. Job done..

Compounded, cleaned, dash sorted, wiring tidied up, leaks fixed, new water pump, battery. centres painted and blitz filled

Proper graphics ordered from the club shop, much better than ebay rubbish. Perfect to originals, the best graphics I have applied, no bubbles, great adhesive on the graphics, backing easy to remove

I even managed to put the front blitz on without creasing it! Never been able to that before!

A nice sunset picture

All done

NEXT MANTA PLEASE :D

THE END

Edited by Kevin Abbott
  • Like 16