Greetings....

Monaco Blue

D737SGG%20Manta%20GTE%201200%202.jpgThought I'd say hello.

Been browsing for quite a while but joined up after not being able to see some of the more recent photos etc.

I might be one of the few on here that actually bought a Manta GT/E brand new. It was a Monaco Blue coupe D737SGG. Unfortunately, I had just missed out on one of the original Exclusives. I ordered it from 'Ferguson of Renfrew' which was local to where I was living back then and I paid out around £9500. I wanted Monaco Blue, Dolphin Grey or Steel Grey as all three were new colours back then, two of these being the same as the original Exclusives. I decided to go for Monaco Blue as there would be one available for delivery within a couple of weeks. One surprise on delivery (April 87) was that it came fitted with an Irmscher exhaust with a large oval tailpipe which did sound nice! 

The photo above was taken at Carnac, Brittany back in September 1991. The following day it left me stranded at the roadside after a fuel pump hose burst underneath the boot. Otherwise, it was pretty reliable and never let me down albeit it was dealer serviced twice a year for most of it's life.

I ran it daily for 12 years and around 170K miles before the dreaded rust (front pax side footwell disintegrated) and MOT failure led to an early grave around March 1999. A shame as it still looked immaculate inside & out, but it wasn't worth spending hundreds getting it repaired back then as that was more than the car was worth. If only I had had the foresight however. It was taken away for scrap and I was left with £75. No idea what actually happened to it, but I did see it a few months later parked in the grounds of a house near Lindfield, West Sussex so who knows...

On the subject of rust, just before it was 5 years old, I managed to get the front grill replaced under warranty after it started to rust above the headlights. 

Currently driving a Saab 9-3 1.9Tid Sportwagon. I would like another GTE but nowhere suitable to keep it sort of limits the options. In saying that, I was very tempted by the white Exclusive that sold a few days ago as it looked immaculate.

Edited by Monaco Blue
  • Like 5

Hi Martin,

I'm in Brighton so potentially local, and I know of a few other mantas in the local area.. none currently on the road! If you pick another one up give me a shout :) 

Local club meets are currently in Kent though sadly.

Roy

On 28/09/2016 at 16:33, Roy said:

Hi Martin,

I'm in Brighton so potentially local, and I know of a few other mantas in the local area.. none currently on the road! If you pick another one up give me a shout :) 

Local club meets are currently in Kent though sadly.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Not far away at all then, as I've been in Burgess Hill for the last 20 years.

Good to hear there are some Manta's around if not on the road. I haven't seen a 'Manta B' in these parts for years, however, I do see an active red N Plate 'Manta A' quite regularly parked up at Shoreham Airport.

I recall having a conversation with a Manta owner around 1997 who said that there were club meets at a pub in Handcross once a month back then.

Cheers, M.

Edited by Monaco Blue
  • Like 1

DVLA say tax was due 1st April 1999.

Vehicle details

Vehicle make
    OPEL
    Date of first registration
    10 April 1987
    Year of manufacture
    Cylinder capacity (cc)
    1979cc