Getting started again - A Series Restoration

Richard33

Good Afternoon All,

I am getting started on my A series manta restoration in the very near future and will need some help with this from the Manta community to get this completed.

Firstly a bit of history -

Way back in October 1992 I took a look at a rather down at heel A series at a crash repair company that was one of the projects for the owner of the said bodyshop.  I really liked the look of the car but recognised it would be quite a big job to do, floors holed wings full of filler, bubbling vinyl roof - you get the picture.  There was something odd about the car, it had turbo stickers on the sides and a turbo in the boot with some other odds and sods as the car had been partially stripped down.  It didn't run or anything so I decided it was too much work and walked away.

A couple of weeks later, I read a classic car magazine which mentioned the Manta Broadspeed Turbo and it kicked into place.  It was one of these mythical beasts, all be it in a terrible state and with a few items missing but the basics were there.   As I was away at college at the time I dispatched my dad to go and do the deal, I paid £100 for the car.  the vendor had bought the car for £75 and wanted to turn a bit of profit!

Anyway I managed to get a set of alloy wheels of similar design that came off a BMW of similar age (only 4 sadly) and the only other parts missing were the turbo boost gauge and the downpipe from the turbo to the exhaust system.  I enthusiastically joined the OMOC and met with some great people at that time who helped out a great deal with details and information on the rarity of the car.

Time passed, I lost touch with the club and other members.  I did catch up with John Cordon via Ebay some years ago who had by that time sold on the Prototype Turbo as was selling off his parts stash. 

Now 3 storage moves later, finally losing my storage and hopefully the last move of the car before restoration will finally get started I am ready to get the restoration underway.   The car had been in dry storage for all those years so thankfully has not got any worse since 1992, but has suffered from some storage damage to the nose so is looking somewhat sad now and if it wasn't for the fact it is a genuine turbo should be fit really for scrapping.

I have the car in my garage at home now so will be able to finally get started on this in the next few months.

What I need help from the Manta community is as follows:

Does anyone locally in the Thames Valley area (I am living in Marlow) have an A series I can take some photo's of for my reference?

Secondly, give the unique nature and set-up of the Turbo does anyone have a Broadspeed car that I could take photo's of for helping with my assembly?   Obviously I would need to travel any distance for that opportunity and would be more of a long term plan to help with my re-assembly. 

I know in the past there was a list of cars the 25-28 built and their statuses, which I think Mark Kinnon and Stephen Godfrey looked after but that was a long time ago!  Is there any updated list of survivors in the club?  Those of you who can remember the old club website and the turbo pages, that was my car which I bought all those years ago including the pictures of the Turbo, manifold and plenum chamber etc.

I have set myself a 5 year target to get this done (I did an MGB in a similar time but that has much easier parts availability and I took the car to pieces in the first place).

Given the help and enthusiasm I found in the club in the past I am sure that I will get what I need in terms of references and assistance.  I look forward to meeting up with friends old and new!

Many thanks

Richard

• Like 1

£100 for a broadspeed? :o

Want to double your money? ;)

There is someone in the club that has/had two of them, and restored to a very high standard. Sadly I can't remember who but hopefully they see your post.

Turbo aside, they're fairly standard I think so parts shouldn't be a problem.

17 hours ago, Shug said:

£100 for a broadspeed? :o

Want to double your money? ;)

There is someone in the club that has/had two of them, and restored to a very high standard. Sadly I can't remember who but hopefully they see your post.

Turbo aside, they're fairly standard I think so parts shouldn't be a problem.

Is this an unofficial auction for a broadspeed !!!!!!!!! 

Seriuosly though good good luck with the restoration & can we have some pictures please !!

Hi Richard, welcome back.  Russ Brough (Turbo A on here) is the guy Shug is thinking of. I think he only has one Broadspeed now, but he has owned several of them, another 3 that I know of that he's sold that have ended up out of the country :(

He probably has the most knowledge of Broadspeeds in the club these days. I know of one car in Bournemouth, and I think there is another member on here still has one who you may know from your time in the club before.

Edited by 1900SR

Hi Richard

Im down in Bournemouth and there is a guy around this area with one and i saw some pics of it and it did look like a very nice one, i will see if i can dig out his details.

Also on the parts front i have a few links here that might help as i have replaced most of the parts on my A series. http://www.theopelproject.com/?page_id=219

Andy

Edited by 611

All,

Thanks for all the positive support, I was in touch with Russ about 5 years ago but no longer have any contact information for him.

I will take a few snaps of the car this weekend, although at the moment it is still in it's as delivered state.  Filled up with bits and pieces so I will have to sort that out.

Be warned, it's not a pretty sight at the moment.   If it was a standard car I think it would be fit for scrap.  I am toying with getting the shell blasted but I am not sure how much will be left!

Thanks

Richard

Get it blasted !

You may end up with not alot left, but it will be metal. I know that blasting is not cheap, but if you don't get it blasted, then no mater how much work you do to it, the rot will just come back.

You could always buy the US shell for sale at the moment, swop the bulk head out and have a cheap solid shell.