Manta GTE coupe - move fuel pump to boot(?)

DJacobs

hi,

has anyone moved the fuel pump to the boot? i'm having trouble after replacing the pump on mine last summer-in replacing the pump, I sawed off the thick rubber shock absorber which attaches the pump mounting to the underside of the car-this in turn makes it difficult to securely mount the pump mounting as before. I've used cable ties which is not ideal, especially in a firmly sprung car like mine.

also my previous Manta perished due to a leaking fuel pipe, (unbeknown to myself), attached to the pump caught fire during a run down to Cambridge on the M11 in 1996-I was using the rallying Jetex exhaust at the time and i'm sure that was the cause, so i'm wary of anything to do with the fuel pump area anyway.

this begs the obvious question: has anyone moved the pump to the boot, to get round these fault liabilities?

Danny Jacobs

1 hour ago, mantadoc said:

When the high pressure line split it soaked inside the whole boot with petrol. 

Exactly the same happen to me, i'd had trouble with the wires going to the pump and decided that the cure was to move the whole lot from the wet and filth under the Manta and into the boot, perhaps the pipework didn't like being bent into a different dirrection but the high pressure pipe split.

The first clue something was amiss was the engine losing power then the car stinking of fuel, as the stench was strongest at the rear i opened the boot to be greated with various items having a swim in petrol mixed with dissolved sound deadening.

I limped the Manta a few yards into a quite, respectable looking Cul-de-sack and positioned it two wheels on the pavement with the boot above a gutter drain, then i knocked out a rubber gromit from the boot floor and let the black stinking fluid run out and down the drain.

Luckily in my tools and emergency spares i had a length of fuel pipe so i was able to get myself on the way again, but the gromit wasn't replaced until the fuel pump assembly was returned to it's normal location.

I did have a rethink about the whole idea and was scheming out putting the fuel pumps into a box like structure in the boot that had a drain venting dirrectly down through the boot floor to avoid a repeat of the boot full of fuel incident but still have the pump assembly moved into a clean and dry evironment, but didn't get any further with it.

I had a mk1 Cav saloon running on GTE injection with the pump mounted in the boot on the inner wheel arch. Think it may have been too high up because it didn't like it and I kept having problems with the pump.

The plan for my current saloon project is to have the pump on the boot floor, but protected inside an old ammo box I picked up for a fiver on ebay.

2 minutes ago, spiney_norman said:

Think it may have been too high up because it didn't like it and I kept having problems with the pump.

These types of fuel pumps push fuel not suck it, they rely on gravity to feed them from the tank which they then push forward to the engine. The instructions that came with my Facet fuel pimp said "mount pump as close to and just below tank outlet"

On 03/01/2017 at 20:20, spiney_norman said:

Thanks, now got an image in my head of a fuel pump wearing a purple suit and a massive hat with a feather in it :D

Now you have lost me, i can presume the name Facet also belongs to some character with the appearance discribed above, the fuel pumps have been around for a long time and are well known amoungst the car racing community.

Yes i got the fact that i spelt pump with an I instead of a U, but i don't quite understand what is pimp about the character described, i can only guess that they appear on a TV show i don't watch... and judging by the description of this charcter probably never will !

I think the joke has gone well and truely over your head :lol:

If you google pimp this is the first image that comes up 

purple-pimp-costume.jpg

You wrote fuel pimp instead of pump, now hes imagining a fuel pump dressed like a pimp (as above) 

Get it? 

......anywayyyy lets move on, i mounted my pump underneath the rear of the car above the rear axle but below the tank itself as has been mentioned they are gravity fed and like to push fuel rather than suck it, few self taping screws and job done.

mmm, after reading these views, i'm having second thoughts now and will go down the route of getting a replacement mount-the idea of the high pressure fuel line breaking fills me with dread. like I said, my car is low and firmly sprung, hence my inquiry.

anyone know what the GM part number is for said rubber mounting?

scrub that question, as thinking about it, from memory, the rubber is glued to the underside of the car from the factory-am I right?

assuming that's correct, does anyone know a way of PROPERLY securing the pump mounting under the car, without using cable ties? as I said previously, my car is approximately 60mm lowered and has 400Ib springs at the front and 275lb at the rear.

Danny

• 9 months later...

Having seen and observed the trouble TVR's have encountered by having fuel pumps mounted externally... I though... I'd be nuts to follow suit whilst XE'ing my coupe.

I used rubber bobbin type mounts to fit a pump and filter inside the boot of my coupe. Both pump and filter are fitted inbetween the rear quarter support and vertically so that nothing can inadvertently hit or interfere with the setup. 

It works a treat for me!!

Daz