My everlasting GT/E hatch restoration

jonayres

I started this in June 2014. I bought it locally with only two owners and reportedly only 82,000 miles. It certainly drives like it's low mileage.

It looked like "there's not that much to do." Don't be fooled, it's a thirty one year old Opel manta, made just before someone had the  idea of galvanising the steel body panels and chassis. Thank the Lord it didn't have a sunroof!! I've managed to attach a few pictures of progress but some of them don't want to upload unfortunately.It's had a lot of new panels, the seats reupholstered as standard, the list goes on and on. I've got over 500 hundred pictures of this process so far.

There's a couple of shortly after it had been taken back to bare metal and painted. It's an exact match for the original Opel Red. Also, the front suspension and rear axle have both been removed, shot blasted and powder coated. See the picture of the new powerflex polyurethane bushes. I've also put a picture of the recently refurbished petrol tank. It has been pressure washed out, pressure tested, any leaks repaired and all of the breather pipes were removed and replaced. hopefully you'll all get to see this car when it's finished at the OMOC stand at the NEC classic car show. As all manta owners - I live in hope!!

Thank you to Adam who took it apart, re fabricated, welded, primed, galvanized, wax oiled, replaced door and window seals, refitted floor sound proofing and put it back together with the panels all perfectly positioned.

Thank you also to Simon, who has done the front suspension and back axle. He's limbering up to start on replacing all of the engine/gearbox seals.

Good job Aaron Radiators on the petrol tank.

Happy new year!!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by jonayres
update
  • Like 13

Hi, I had the work done by RJ customising in Langport, Somerset. We reused the tartan material and sourced the grey fabric.The grey fabric is as close to identical to the original as you can get. The total cost was £390. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had the work done by RJ customising in Langport, Somerset. We reused the tartan material and sourced the grey fabric.The grey fabric is as close to identical to the original as you can get. The total cost was £390. 

I got the brake calipers back from Larkspeed Engineering. They've done a really tidy job and at only £20 more than buying the refurbishing kits!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

And at last, with new gaskets, oil filter and water pump, the engine has been re fitted! Looking good repainted in satin/Matt black engine paint and the engine mounts blasted and powder coated. It's got it's original engine, you know, the incredibly heavy 1979cc lump! Starting to look very good. The plan is to keep it just as when it came from the factory (although the paintwork is much better than original!)

The only deviations are;

I got rid of the completely useless headlight washers

The exhaust pipre is identical to the 1984 spec but made of stainless steel.

The bushes are the blue polyurethane type

The new shock absorbers are the same spec but made by KYB, not Bilstein.

• Like 4

Seconded! Very nice indeed!

However, I think deleting the headlamp wipers is a mistake. I always found they were quite effective at removing winter grime when on a long motorway run in darkness. They were also one of the distinctive features of the Manta. 

• Like 1

Thank you. I remember when it first came out from being painted, the Adam, who did it, was a perfectionist.The wings, doors, bumpers and trim were all sprayed separately and then put back onto the car.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jonayres said:

the Adam, who did it, was a perfectionist.The wings, doors, bumpers and trim were all sprayed separately and then put back onto the car.

it has to be done like this unless your doing a quick bodge job, its the only way to spray the door shuts, behind bumpers etc

I do like his spray stands, set up anything at the correct angle and they can be wheeled about but when at rest won't move, which is vital when trying to spray an even coat.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

And so it goes on, and on and............................With the gearbox painted (first coat) and the starter motor and alternator fully refurbished.

• Like 2

On 04/09/2017 at 18:53, jonayres said:

With the gearbox painted (first coat)

When you put oil in this gearbox ONLY put in the genuine Gatrag gearbox oil, i have had one gearbox come to bits about 5k miles after the previous owner changed the oil for ordinary gearbox oil and someone else who restored a Manta locally had a gearbox centre check his box over and change the oil, they put in ordinary gearbox oil and it went bang in an even shorter distance.

There is bound to be someone read this and come on here saying don't worry i put ordinary gearbox oil in mine and its OK, there might be some Getrag boxes that for reasons unknown will tolerate normal gearbox oil but ask yourself, are you going to chance it that yours is one of them ?

The Oil should still be available through Vauxhall Dealers, i have an old bottle and the codes on it are  1 # 93165290 next line 19 40 182   GR.4.581

15 hours ago, The General said:

when you open it it's red in colour. 

Yes it's well weird looking stuff and IIRC is quite thin and smells of cherry aid, very different from conventional gearbox oil, which means if this is what the gearbox needs then normal oil won't do the gearbox any good.

I'm not sure what the diff needs, but i don't think this is a Gatrag item so might be more conventional and might be OK with normal diff Oil.

Beware of advice from mechanics, even those in dealers, BMW also use Getrag gearboxes so i thought they could be a source of the correct oil, on enquiring at a local BMW dealer a mechanic there said they didn't use any special oil, just standard gearbox oil in all their gearboxes, i thought " no you don't, if you did you'd have the cars back within a few months needing new gearboxes !"

12 hours ago, jonayres said:

Did you get yours for a Vauxhall dealer?

Yes Baylis in cheltenham. And as MANTAMAN said it smells of cherry aide!  I was in two minds to use it or drink it 😂😂

15 minutes ago, MANTAMAN said:

Yes it's well weird looking stuff and IIRC is quite thin and smells of cherry aid, very different from conventional gearbox oil, which means if this is what the gearbox needs then normal oil won't do the gearbox any good.

I'm not sure what the diff needs, but i don't think this is a Gatrag item so might be more conventional and might be OK with normal diff Oil.

Beware of advice from mechanics, even those in dealers, BMW also use Getrag gearboxes so i thought they could be a source of the correct oil, on enquiring at a local BMW dealer a mechanic there said they didn't use any special oil, just standard gearbox oil in all their gearboxes, i thought " no you don't, if you did you'd have the cars back within a few months needing new gearboxes !"

This is the trouble nowadays. Most mechanics are fitters and not enthusiastic or are not allowed to spend the time on it anymore. "Computer / ECU says no". Most old school mechanics are problem solvers, but we are in a plug and play lifestyle now. If the ECU can't tell them the fault then they are not interested and start guessing. We had this with Ford and my dad's KA. the car had a dramatic misfire but the ecu was not reporting any faults. They said it's possible that its the cam belt and wanted over £350 to sort it out! I laughed in the dealership and asked to see the mechanic who funny enough didn't want to explain his reasoning to me! Turned out to be one on the coil packs the charge time was slow. The moral of the story is beware of the word professional! 

Edited by The General
  • Like 1

Good afternoon, I spoke to Neil in the parts department at Eden Vauxhall in Poole, Dorset. Thankfully, he knows about Opel Mantas having owned three of them himself.

As soon as I said Manta GT/E gearbox, he interjected with "A Getrag 240?" which inspired some confidence. He's been at the dealership since 1984. There's not many like him around now.

He swiftly identified the gearbox oil in question and advised buying 2 litres as it requires just over a litre. I it this afternoon.

Many thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

Jon

It's still got the same number as when i last bought this Gearbox Oil, about ten years ago they did change the part number, along with every other part number for everything.

8 hours ago, jonayres said:

I spoke to Neil in the parts department at Eden Vauxhall in Poole, Dorset.

This needs adding to a list somewhere on here, there was a thread started along these lines somewhere, this all valuable information, someone in a Vauxhall parts department who knows what your talking about, not the usual - " I've got an Opel Manta " - spotty faced oik looks at computer - " Do you mean Opel Meriva ? "

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon, I spoke to Neil in the parts department at Eden Vauxhall in Poole, Dorset. Thankfully, he knows about Opel Mantas having owned three of them himself.

As soon as I said Manta GT/E gearbox, he interjected with "A Getrag 240?" which inspired some confidence. He's been at the dealership since 1984. There's not many like him around now.

He swiftly identified the gearbox oil in question and advised buying 2 litres as it requires just over a litre. I it this afternoon.

Many thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

Jon

The gearbox came so close to going back in until the mechanic discovered he'd lost the clutch release bearing! Would you believe there are two different ones for the GT/E 5 speed getrag gearbox depending on the chassis number. It depends on whether the chassis number is before or after H6000001. I'm told that although the newer release bearing would most likely fit, it wouldn't last very long.

With mine being an earlier model, chassis number E6074912, I began to search. Vauxhall/Opel have no stock in the UK or Germany. LUK have no stock anywhere either. A number of on line searches and calls to car parts suppliers also all came up with nothing. The replacement part number for the newer model release bearing was LUK 500032010, however, I reportedly needed LUK 500 0166 10 (Opel part number 90111364). Finally, I found one at Mister Auto. A full clutch kit would have been a better option but even these seem to be becoming very rare.

So the gearbox still waits to be fitted but a bit more work was completed on the rear suspension, handbrake cables etc.

• Like 1