Which propshaft....?

moodoo

Guys,

I have an automatic A-series with a seized engine, and one of these years I will rebuild it...

Options from this point are either a CIH engine or a 16V XE, both using 5-speed manual box.

Questions...

1) If I want to use a 5-speed Getrag box with the CIH, will my A-series auto propshaft fit? I've seen on the forum one mention of an A-series auto prop fitting, but many more of using an auto B-series. Will either work, or only 1?

2) If I go 16V, I know I'll need a 1.8 box. What propshaft would I need for that - a GTE one, or a 1.8 one, or are they the same?

Thanks,
Fin

Hey Fin

I will get around to dropping you a message soon!

Im sure it's the A series auto prop that you need for the CIH with 5 speed. I have mine out at the moment as im trying to get the engine and box out to fit the S10 clutch so i can measure the prop if you need me to?

Andy

Thanks Chris and Andy.

Chris - I don't have a 5-speed box myself yet. I'm just trying to figure out what way to go with the car. I have a 16V engine and 1.8 box, both in unknown condition, and a known 'good' 1.9 CIH, although that could do with a freshen-up too. Just trying to figure out what the financial/time/performance pros/cons are. On the GTE/1.8 prop, any idea of they need length changing for an A-series 16V conversion, or are they 'bolt on'?

Andy - no panic mate! :) If you were able to measure the prop that would be appreciated, at least then I'd know if the prop in the auto is any good or not. Good luck with the clutch swap...take pictures!

Edited by moodoo

To fit a getrag 5 speed box in an a series you need a b series auto propshaft. The a series auto propshaft is for a kadett 5 speed conversion. 

Edited by rutts
Shot set up

Aaaah...I knew I read somewhere the a series auto prop was good for something! Just not my car by the sounds of it!

...ok, will need to add a propshaft to my shopping list regardless what engine I go for....thanks for the info...

Fin, i will measure mine on Sunday as that's when i hope to have the engine and box out. Im sure mine was from an A auto, but maybe not. Still i will give it a measure while im there :-)

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I will take a pic tomorrow with the measure against it so you can see where everything is measurement wise.

Just bought an engine stand so i can get this clutch fitted easier and give the engine a check over before it goes back in. :-)

Andy