Manta 2.0 SRB Coupe

Kenny400

Well known in the club , I bought this from Neil in Yorkshire over 2 years ago. Unfortunately last year,due to loss of job I had to sell it but a previous owner bought it back and it returned to Scotland.

The new owner had a change of heart and sold the car on , to an uncommitted new owner who decided to "under seal" the car, then offer it up for sale.

Its months away from my warm garage and cosseted care has seen a fair bit of deterioration on the body condition which I am temporarily treating - it reminded me how much first Manta literally disintegrated being outside over a Glasgow winter.

Jobs done in the last few weeks:

• full wash and wax
  • full day taking the underseal overspray off the paintwork
  • oil and filter change
  • coolant flush and change
  • superglue the drivers door pocket that someone had carelessly "booted"
  • fixed both the door speakers (loose connections)
  • ordered a full new exhaust !
  • changed the fuel filter

Plan is to use it for the next couple of months then put it in dehumidified storage until it can be stripped and fully restored to original spec with a 5 speed and PAS conversion.

if anyone has any NOS parts for this they want to sell then let me know as I will be collecting them gradually as I can afford prior to restoration.

I'll be losing the boot spoiler!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by Kenny400
  • Like 7

Am i the only one that has a bit of love for the boot spoiler? I had one on my X reg coupe many years ago, car was only 5 years old and was fitted by the dealer when new for the first owner. I still quite like it personally.

1 hour ago, chrisb said:

Am i the only one that has a bit of love for the boot spoiler? I had one on my X reg coupe many years ago, car was only 5 years old and was fitted by the dealer when new for the first owner. I still quite like it personally.

I always thought the pre-facelift B's look wrong with the rear spoiler fitted, however the later models would look strange without it.

As for the car in question, if it were finished in body colour it might look better.

Again, to my eyes, the early B's look good with the vinyl roof. I saw an ad a few months ago for a German GSi Exclusive in white which had a factory fitted black vinyl roof and it looked strange to say the least.

Edited by Monaco Blue
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

Thank god your removing the boot spoiler, the car looked so much better before Neil fitted it.

Nice to know that a genuine low mileage Manta is in good hands.

I don't think it was Neil that put it on but previously post 'respray' it seems to be flitted with really nasty bonding material so won't be coming off until restoration.

i love the vinyl roof and this will be getting replaced also

2 hours ago, Kenny400 said:

I don't think it was Neil that put it on but previously post 'respray' it seems to be flitted with really nasty bonding material so won't be coming off until restoration.

I remember talking to Neil at Billing 2015 & I think he said he had fitted the spoiler earlier that year.

He was looking to buy a spoiler back in Autumn 2014

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/37096-wanted-gte-coupe-boot-spoiler/#comment-258088

• Like 1

I think the later body parts look wrong on the pre '82 cars. It reminds me of the days when people tried to make their older cars look like later ones and the whole colour keyed '80's trend doesn't go with the lighter styling and the chrome detailing

The only thing I think is OK is the period Irmscher rubber spoiler that was in the accessories catalogue around 1980 that I have fitted to RBY. I still don't think it would look right on an SR anyway but this one sits atop the lid and wing tops without dropping onto the rear lip

• Like 3

I always liked the boot spoiler on the B but not in body colour just natural black rubber i still think it suits the coupe lines with a little flick up at the back, Body colour spoiler just doesnt look right on pre 82 cars i agree.

I have the plastic front B spoiler but cant make up my mind to fit it or not on mine, i love the look on a plastic bumper B but not sure on a chrome bumper B.

Edited by chrisb

10 hours ago, chrisb said:

I have the plastic front B spoiler but cant make up my mind to fit it or not on mine, i love the look on a plastic bumper B but not sure on a chrome bumper B.

The chin spoiler looks great IMO on Chrome bumpered Manta B's as well as Cav Coupes

• Like 2

22 hours ago, stradacab said:

I think the later body parts look wrong on the pre '82 cars. It reminds me of the days when people tried to make their older cars look like later ones and the whole colour keyed '80's trend doesn't go with the lighter styling and the chrome detailing

The only thing I think is OK is the period Irmscher rubber spoiler that was in the accessories catalogue around 1980 that I have fitted to RBY. I still don't think it would look right on an SR anyway but this one sits atop the lid and wing tops without dropping onto the rear lip

Being a GT/J makes a difference. No chrome, so that spoiler suits it well. 

• Like 1

Amazing how these project update posts sidetrack lol!

car is currently stuck on the ramps awaiting manifold and downpipe gaskets - all non spoiler related lol

Edited by Kenny400
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Kenny400 said:

Amazing how these project update posts sidetrack lol!

car is currently stuck on the ramps awaiting manifold and downpipe gaskets - all non spoiler related lol

Yeah, Sorry Kenny i think that was down to me having a love of the black boot spoiler.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2017 at 19:35, Rapierdave said:

Yes Dave you are right it does, Now ive seen a blue one in the flesh thats exactly the same as mine i might go ahead and get it painted and fitted.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Got the new Sportex system on, it's settled down after a few miles - it sounded as bad as the old blowing one initially but now sounds quite good and reminds me of my boy racer days along time ago when I had a Piper straight-through on my Cavalier SRi130

Edited by Kenny400
  • Like 3

My Manta is a chrome-bumpered model - in the same shade of blue as above. I have a new black boot spoiler, chin spoiler and rear window louvre in storage for when I restore the car. Like many others here, I'm unsure abour fitting the boot spoiler. Having said that, I also have a spare bootlid...so I could always repaint it and swop it over if I dont like the spoiler-look. 

I also have a 3-piece Irmscher boot spoiler for my Monza....again I'm undecided if I will fit it.

Edited by Berlinetta
  • Like 1