DVLA RIP OFF...

BIG STU

Hi everyone. 

I just wanted everyoneyou all know that if you have a manta or any other classic vehicle that has just turned 40 years old.or is about to turn 40 this year that free car tax isn't as easy as it sounds. 

I have just applied for road tax for my Opel manta sr coupe, that turned 40 on the 18.3.17.I was expecting free tax...

How wrong I was.

It turns out that my car was first registered on 18th march 1977 and  the date of manufacture on the dvla data base only said 31 December. 

So becsuse the year 1976 was missing off the date of manufacture information the dvla told me that my car automatically defaults to 31.12.77 for manufacture.

So this means that my car wont get free tax until 31.December 2017.

The lady I spoke to at the dvla did offer some re assuring  advice. 

SHE TOLD ME THAT IF I CAN GET A LETTER FROM THE DEALERSHIP THAT PROVES THE DATE OF MANUFACTURE. THEN I CAN HAVE FREE TAX NOW....

What are the chances of me getting that information. 

There is more chance of me winning the lottery, or having the queen come round for tea dressed in a cat suit and flip flops......

:o 

Plus what's the chaces of the dealership still been there 40 years later. 

Especially when there is probably a super market or mosc on the spot where my car began its life.....:angry:

Good luck with your cars and enjoy happy motoring this year..

HoHopefully see some of you at some north west shows..

Cheers stuart. 

If your car was manufactured in 1976, and you can prove it you may be able to get free tax this year, but it is by no means cut and dried and could open a whole world of pain. My honest advice is to suck it up, pay it this year and have it free from 1st April next year. If however you want to see if you can get it free, feel free to message me.

• Like 1

Theres been alot of talk lately of a shake up in the car tax payments

To sell new little cars, they introduced the £30 tax and 0 tax on some cars based on emmissions, 

Now realising that everyone has gone for that deal, they want to reverse on the deal, claiming that as road users of motor cars, they should pay to use the road, seems reasonable i suppose, but if you sell things and promote things on that promise, then you can expect some flack for going back on it all,

So where does that leave us??, we are road users with motor vehicles, can we honestly say that they will not go back on this promise as well, 

I dont know if anyone has a larger car, newer car, the new tax bands are out, basically its the death of larger cars, its got stupidly high for a larger engined cars, 

Lastly, no one minds road tax, as long as it gets used for roads and road repairs, not for other things

• Like 1

I was told by dvla it has to be registered January 1976 mines is registered February 1976 so it's now 41 year old but won't get free tax till April this year was then told once that happens I should get a cheque for the tax I've paid after the car turned 40 where's the point in that ??

• Like 1

Its really easy - put (more) tax on fuel and abolish road tax completely - remove all of that bureaucracy and overhead costs.

Your drive more or your car is less efficient then you pay more as you use more fuel - simple!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kenny400 said:

Its really easy - put (more) tax on fuel and abolish road tax completely - remove all of that bureaucracy and overhead costs.

Your drive more or your car is less efficient then you pay more as you use more fuel - simple!

The situation in your second sentence already exists.

What you suggest is fine for your couple of miles a year classic but would be poorly implemented with,no doubt, more infrastructure and systems not less and ultimately cost us more overall.  be careful what you ask for you might just get it

Road tax of £285 for 12,000 a year at 35mpg equates to about 18p a litre. If they bunged it on as a percentage they would automatically reap more as fuel goes up.

What if you only do 6k a year? Don't count your chickens on savings they will still want the same money from us all and company vehicles offsetting all expenses against their profit will be contributing less.

• Like 1

Hi eveyone. 

Thanks for all your help and support. It looks like we are all pissed off in different ways regarding the dvla. 

All I can say is. 

JUST GET THOSE MANTAS  OUT ON THE ROADS AND GET YOUR VALUE FOR MONEY BY CHURNING MORE TARMAC UP BY DOING SOME RALLYING AND  DOUGHNUTS ETC...:D

CHEERS STUART. 

• Like 1

Is there anyone in the club with this information? Back in about 93 when I joined with my exclusive, I got a kind of certificate from John Hemsby(?) marked as the 'exclusive register' and it showed my car detail, where it was manufactured, which plant and the date of manufacture (1986). All that from a copy of my logbook I sent in. So if that info is available for exclusives, surely its available for earlier mantas such as my 77 registered SR B? That would be reason enough to join! 

Edited by Roy