Rear disc brake kits

mantasrme

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 06/05/2017 at 10:15, mantasrme said:

Bolt on rear disc brake kit for manta B axle, this uses the mk4 Astra discs and calipers.

590d8cf2205f7_Mantasportreardisckit.jpg.5b8b7e0ef626d1d0e776841ca60fcad9.jpg

£50 a set plus £5 postage or collection from Harrogate, N yorkshire

bracket-pic2.png.35f360b302bc0a6d487b3066b0513479.png

Can be used with either the mk4 astra handbrake cable, or standard manta handbrake cable (pics to follow)

Hello there. Sorry to butt in. I came across this conversion kit thread. I have a 1.9 Manta a axle on my Chevette and I’m looking to upgrade to rear callipers. Do you have a bracket kit available please? Hope you can help, many thanks, Mick.

Hello there. Sorry to butt in. My name is Mick. I came across this conversion online. I have a 1.9 Manta a axle on my Chevette and I’m looking to upgrade to rear callipers. Do you have a bracket kit available please? Hope you can help, many thanks, Mick.

11 hours ago, Mick Melia said:

Hello there. Sorry to butt in. My name is Mick. I came across this conversion online. I have a 1.9 Manta a axle on my Chevette and I’m looking to upgrade to rear callipers. Do you have a bracket kit available please? Hope you can help, many thanks, Mick.

PM sent.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, mantaboy89 said:

Awsome. I'll check with you in a couple of weeks mate. Or if you can. Pm me when you have them back in stock. Do you need the carriers also when fitted or just the caliper? 

Cheers

I'll pm you when they are back in.

You will need carriers and calipers. So you either need to source a second hand set (make sure they are from the 4stud mk4 astra in either bosch or lucas version) or new calipers and carriers can be sourced if you want

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 06/05/2017 at 10:15, mantasrme said:

Bolt on rear disc brake kit for manta B axle, this uses the mk4 Astra discs and calipers.

590d8cf2205f7_Mantasportreardisckit.jpg.5b8b7e0ef626d1d0e776841ca60fcad9.jpg

£50 a set plus £5 postage or collection from Harrogate, N yorkshire

bracket-pic2.png.35f360b302bc0a6d487b3066b0513479.png

Can be used with either the mk4 astra handbrake cable, or standard manta handbrake cable (pics to follow)

I have this kit - it looks and feels great. I also have a new set of calipers, pads and discs to do the Astra G conversion but I'm a tad confused about using the Manta cable for the handbrake.

Are there any photos of this setup so I can have an idea before I pull my brakes apart as to how to modify the cable? I'd rather know in advance what I'm letting myself into before I start the conversion.

For the manta cable you can fit the caliper like this. It means you cannot bleed the caliper in situ (as the bleed nipple is not at the highest point) but its easy to pivot it vertical to bleed it as you only need to do this when you install it the first time.

It wants a nylon (or similar) guide where the cable goes through the bracket on the caliper, it will over time wear a groove in the nylon guide at the trailing arm (depending how much iot is used) but there is often a spare guide on the cable to swap to. Mines been on for 4 years or so like this now with no issues.

I had always meant to get a custom cable made to the manta length but with an outer cable to go around the curves. But like so many of my ideas they are still on the drawing board.

IMG_20170516_144037782.thumb.jpg.92e53abb966bfaff16143bcfd8b254a5.jpg

Or you mount the calipers vertically behind the axle and use a mk4 astra cable that loops under the axle like this. Depending on the cable you get you might have to extend the threaded rod under the a car to reach the yoke. You also need stops for the outer cable around the torque tube cross member area. The astra had a lot of different length handbrake cables across the range and at least one customer has found a cable that didn't need the extension, but unfortunatly we don't have apart number for that one.

596b27135db7d_reardiscs(2).jpg.099460196cc094200c6e50c658ed7693.jpg596b2713b2dc5_reardiscs(3).jpg.6c0caf43b22a22018a59d345741b141b.jpg

I've sold a lot of these kits but have had very little feed back on how people did their cables so maybe someone will pop along with a comment.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Chaps ,Very good piece of info

I´m just about figuring out how to fit the calipers if at the top of the hub or vertically in the bach using the manta Cable. I´ve got  a couple of questions

1. When you said "You also need stops for the outer cable around the torque tube cross member area" What you mean exactly? Cannot the original ones designed for the manta cable used for this purpose? 
  2. About the hydraulic conection.. does the rigid cooper pipe used for the standard brake actuators  reach the caliper inlet port?

Regards

Luis