Early 1800 coupe restoration

Kevin Abbott

We spotted this coupe on the manta Facebook page and within 15 mins the recovery truck was on its way to collect

The Abbotts don't mess around :lol:

1 owner car apart from the bloke who bought it 3 months ago but realised he could not do it on his drive in the day he had every two weeks to work on it.

Brought back to the unit and looked at

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/2sowd17pZq3oSXN7tImY0yaQQ4h4Eqy53n2a6cYAodP

Sooooooo we started on the chassis with a needle gun,,,,, I may as well used a shotgun:lol:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, zublet said:

Nice looking car! You think she's going to need a lot of welding?

Hell yea!

It has had 82 hours of prep fab and weld to this point

That front panel is 10mm deep in pudding so we cut it off

We cut the chassis off

We cut the floors out

We replaced the chassis inside and out

We replaced the floor over the chassis

We made the inner from 40x40x3mm box section and welded it to the chassis and jacking point

We repaired the  a post to inner wings

All areas treated with 30% phosphoric acid then zinc primed, seam sealed and zinc primed

Engine and box out, prop out, exhaust off

Clutch replaced. head gasket done, new timing belt, water pump, plugs belts etc etc

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by Kevin Abbott
photo file sizes all over the place and I can't fix it
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kevin Abbott said:

Hell yea!

It has had 82 hours of prep fab and weld to this point

That front panel is 10mm deep in pudding so we cut it off

We cut the chassis off

We cut the floors out

We replaced the chassis inside and out

We replaced the floor over the chassis

We made the inner from 40x40x3mm box section and welded it to the chassis and jacking point

We repaired the  a post to inner wings

All areas treated with 30% phosphoric acid then zinc primed, seam sealed and zinc primed

Engine and box out, prop out, exhaust off

Clutch replaced. head gasket done, new timing belt, water pump, plugs belts etc etc

Do I get a coupe to go with the hatch? Seriously, when this is ready for sale let me know.

Thanks 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Snowy said:

Do I get a coupe to go with the hatch? Seriously, when this is ready for sale let me know.

Thanks 

The interior is sooooooo 70s it is cool

Yep it will be for sale soon, it's getting paint too

The worst thing about the car and the original owner should of been shot for it was.............. in 1986 ( we have the bill in the file ) a sunroof was cut and placed into a NON SUNROOF COUPE :blink::blink::blink::blink: it cost him £350

The replacement panels are klokkerholm and the steel is zintech, all welds ground and treated with zinc, any open box sections sprayed with phosphoric acid or treated with bilt hamber materials

It will be a completely original restoration with as many new parts as we can, fuel lines, brake lines, calipers etc

Edited by Kevin Abbott
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, Kevin Abbott said:

The worst thing about the car and the original owner should of been shot for it was.............. in 1986 ( we have the bill in the file ) a sunroof was cut and placed into a NON SUNROOF COUPE :blink::blink::blink::blink: it cost him £350

The replacement panels are klokkerholm and the steel is zintech, all welds ground and treated with zinc, any open box sections sprayed with phosphoric acid or treated with bilt hamber materials

It will be a completely original restoration with as many new parts as we can, fuel lines, brake lines, calipers etc

If I'm not mistaken it has a burnt orange interior the same as I'm old black 1.8 coupe.

1 hour ago, Snowy said:

If I'm not mistaken it has a burnt orange interior the same as I'm old black 1.8 coupe.

Maybe it should have been called 'rust' rather than burnt orange! :)

As I recall, it was either burnt orange or dark grey interiors in most of the GT/J's & Berlinettas up till 86MY. Green also rings a bell, but not 100% sure about that.

• Like 1

Wow some impressive work there mate, she'll look fantastic when done!

Where do you source your new panels from, are they all fabricated or is there any sort of supplier for off the shelf panels these days? I say this as mine will probably need similar treatment...

2 hours ago, Kevin Abbott said:

The worst thing about the car and the original owner should of been shot for it was.............. in 1986 ( we have the bill in the file ) a sunroof was cut and placed into a NON SUNROOF COUPE :blink::blink::blink::blink: it cost him £350.

It's a moot point, however back in the mid-80's a sunroof was almost the accessory to have. The vast majority of mid-range cars and upwards came with them as standard. The sliding metal sunroof was one of the Manta's strong selling points overthe competition.

That Berlinetta coupe is a good looking car in silver!

5 hours ago, plumster said:

Half a job as usual........... :lol:

Looks like a proper job, well done.

Hahahaha that made me laugh a lot :lol:

we thought it was a quick flip. Well. Another 18 hours on it today replacing things like the battery tray and prepping the new front end adds up to 100 hours to date. 

4k in labour not including parts. 

More work done 

Plenty to come ;)

Yours truly getting stuck in

Hmmmm, looks like we are getting into fibreglass reproduction panels and 400 kits now too

Yep that is a kadett c coupe we blasted, primed and raptured, that's the next build

The blasted and primed coupe is a future build too

Edited by Kevin Abbott
  • Like 3

On 01/10/2017 at 13:52, Monaco Blue said:

As I recall, it was either burnt orange or dark grey interiors in most of the GT/J's & Berlinettas up till 86MY. Green also rings a bell, but not 100% sure about that.

Deffinately did a green interior on early 1800's, The door pockets and centre consel plastic was a shade of lime green !! open the door and it was so bright it almost slapped you round the face !! I think both the orange and green are wonderful interior colours to see in a classic car, so of their time, they'd never sell a new car with an interior like this now.

The sunroof won't be a big issue if its the normal aftermarket item, there won't be internal rails without paint and blocked water pipes rotting the roof away.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MANTAMAN said:

Deffinately did a green interior on early 1800's, The door pockets and centre consel plastic was a shade of lime green !! open the door and it was so bright it almost slapped you round the face !! I think both the orange and green are wonderful interior colours to see in a classic car, so of their time, they'd never sell a new car with an interior like this now.

Look no further!  

14 hours ago, Monaco Blue said:

Look no further!  

Unfortunately the link doesn't take me to the images, i get to Fleabay and can click on original listing but the images aren't coming up, perhaps they have been deleted or no longer held on the Fleabay server.

I'd have like to have seen the pictures, i don't recall seeing a green interior hatch, only coupes, wonder what happen to it? hope it wasn't raped for its sump and gearbox.

Now we at around 120 hours in welding and fabrication on this. The weldathon has ended;)

£5000 in labour  not including consumables   

time to prep the new ( to us anyway ) front end

treated with phosphoric acid and steam cleaned. 

New front panel rose welded on. Treated with bilt hamper seam sealed and prepped for paint.

engine bay prepped for paint

master cylinder and servo looked poor so MS removed. All pipes replaced. 

Wiper mech removed 

bias valve removed 

Crossmember was previously de rusted and now painted in a 2k rock hard chassis paint. 

Engine and box separated 

head off

head stripped

all valves cleaned 

ports cleansed 

valves lapped in

new stem seals 

block checked and cross hatching still present on bores so pistons polished and deck cleaned 

engine bay primed in 2k high build  

The upholsterer arrived today to look at doing a repair on the drivers bolster. 

He said he can’t match it

so we  are going for a complete re trim of the material in the closest he can find to original. 

The cost is now getting crazy

the paint we had matched is max Mayer at £50 a litre 

all for an 1800 that years ago would of been chopped up. 

Edited by Kevin Abbott
  • Like 5

It's been a long time coming but Manta values have finally caught up with other contempory Cars, Though not quite the silly money two door Frod Scrotes make.

Whoever gets their hands one this when it's sold will have rock solid Manta that will outlast them.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Kevin Abbott said:

Now we at around 120 hours in welding and fabrication on this. The weldathon has ended ;)

£5000 in labour  not including consumables   

The cost is now getting crazy. 

Ah, but it's a 'labour of love'. ;)

Just as well it's a hobby, there would be a lot less Manta's running around today if it wasn't for folks like yourselves (and others) doing all the hard work restoring them in their spare time. 

As Mantaman says, values do appear to be on the way up but hopefully they don't get too expensive (say £10K) which would put them out of reach for the average Manta fan. 16V Astra GTE's are heading the same way with mint ones already worth that and more.