Full Restoration D91 MOP

bris jas

Not sure if you can buy a battery tray for rhd car, i did find one but it was for a left hand drive car so obviously wouldn't fit as on other side of car. If you can get them please let me know for next time.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Onto the wing rail next.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

As other side i over lapped new panel by 10 mm allowing me to weld by sides.

Edited by bris jas
  • Like 6

OMG that is one rotten Manta but the repairs you are carrying out look great.

As has been mentioned earlier, a few years ago this Manta would have been scrapped but due to rising values especially of coupes then its worth saving.

If it turns out as good as your Droop Snoot Firenza then it will be stunning when finished.

See you soon Jas

• Like 1

That is great work, wish you were local as I'd be mithering for help with replacing my rear quarter panels, can't find anyone so I'm going to have to get my backside in gear and cutter out :rolleyes:

I know I'm asking a lot but I'm worried about where to start cutting, if I drill the spot welds out and post some pictures will anyone just confirm my theories as to where to cut etc? 

Chèers,

Terry 

Terry i'm sure we can help with where to cut etc once you post up some pic's, i have the 2 ends of the spit tied together Kev so they won't come apart, i also fitted wheels with brakes on so it can't wonder around. Second car on there with no concerns so far touch wood!

So on to the N/S/R Arch.

I clamped over the new arch and draw a line around so i could see how much i could remove if needed. As the inner arch was in much better condition than the O/S i managed to drill out a lot of the spot welds around the outer to inner arch.

I was then able to cut off the rotten section of arch, i carried out a couple of repairs to the lip of the inner arch so i had good metal to weld to.

New arch trimmed to fit and welded in. If you do fit one of these always spot weld (mig) around first in different places or atleast couple of inches apart to stop the panel distorting because the heat from the mig can cause this and could runion a decent job!

Next was to sort out a rusty piece to the rear of the 1/4 panel

All the rot cut out so i fabricated 2x pieces to make the shape, first the bottom piece that would spot weld to the flange and form the flat bottom and large piece to form the main section, funny old piece this as it curves different was so a little persuasion was needed!

Next was the spare wheel well.

Firstly i cleaned off all the paint etc to see how much rot there was, then i drilled off the tow eye bracket as this was good. Then removed again all rotten metal.

For some reason i didn't take a picture of the hole but you can see in the finished pic how much was removed/replaced

And then towing eye welded back on.

I had a perfect bonnet from my V8 i am using as that has a 400 bonnet on it, i managed to pick up 2x good wings last week. Both will be taken back to bare metal for examination but should be good. With these good panels i could now to a trail fit of the front end and weld in a new lower front panel

I hadn't had to repair any of the boot aperature but a trial fit there just for piece of mind

As mentioned in my other thread, next and final rusty job is the roof!

TBC

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Blimey can't believe i haven't updated this thread since October, where does the time go!

Ok so onto the roof

firstly i removed the paint so i could have a good look at the rusted areas, both sides were rotten but only a few spots across the rear of the aperture. I went about cutting out both sides and carefully weld in new sections

Now all the corrosion on the car is gone i decided to get the underneath finished before i start on the preperation of the panels to primer.

So i decided to use Upol Raptor tintable but firstly sprayed a layer of Upol stonechip, this way i could thin slightly the Raptor to get a more even coat

The engine bay was prepared and painted in 2k, then it was on to preparing both the rear 1/4's, cills and front panel outer sections so i could get these primed

Forgot to mention i painted the floor aswell

the complete front and rear panels will be prepared and primed once the car is off the spit. Next i will prepare and prime the roof and sort a few bits in side the boot area before dropping the car off  the spit.

• Like 10

On 06/10/2017 at 23:56, Kevin Abbott said:

Most coupes now are worth restoring no matter the condition. Good ones are selling for 10k and will only go up in value.

That is why my brother and I do not sell cars as projects anymore 

I despair at the coupes I have cut up in the past or stood upon in scrapyards

Hindsight would make me a rich man

You are 😂😂😂😂😂

An enjoyable read! Envious of the skills being employed in the restoration.

It's interesting that you have welded in plates to the roof rather than going down the more common route of fitting a larger sunroof or a replacement non-sunroof skin. Presumably the rust wasn't as bad as some.

Looking forward to seeing the next instalment!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind praise guys.

The reason i went for repairing the roof as i think i may of mentioned earlier, is i want the car to stay as oringinal as possible apart from maybe a couple of tweeks to the suspension to improve the ride, and maybe a new set of wheels at the end although the originals will be refurbed and kept with the car.

Ok so finished the roof and now in primer

Onto next major stage, taking it off the spit and onto axle stands, i padded these with carpet as i don't want the fresh under side paint getting marked

I can now get the front and rear panels prepped and in primer, then onto the inside of the boot area to make good after repair works and get painted back into matt black.

• Like 2

Luckily i have a large shed for all the bits! So much nicer working in space with some light, back in the day i'd be climbing under the cars kicking parts and stuff as i went.

Front and back panels in primer now and also the boot preped and painted in matt black.

Took me a few hours to get the sound deadening in and looking nice, the pads were cold so kept cracking. Bit of heat and patients, happy with the results.

All the sections needed are painted now to allow me to start thinking about fitting the axle, front suspension etc back in. I started to prep the axle and bits today using a wire wheel in my grinder, blimey suprising the amount of crap that comes off these bits, i was covered! I had most of the front axle and trailing arms etc powered coated.

• Like 3