2.0 gte air box

Thebishop

Hi 

The K&N filter has an adapter to bolt on to the air flow meter instead of the air box. 

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

Probably easier to see here 

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=271327231394&category=44187&pm=1&ds=0&t=1504864940000&ver=0&cspheader=1

Edited by Mickfrad

Mines a K&N filter which was already fitted to the car so how much difference it makes I don't know, I should think the small hole on the original air box is quite restrictive.

The ram air one on eBay was the only one I could find on a quick search. A good listing as it shows the adapter sizes.

I've got a spare adaptor kicking around for the airbox to fit a normal round air filter onto. You'd need to make your own bracket to hold the airbox and filter up but thats not hard, the K+N piece is just a bent bit of metal from memory

Oh and the K+N adaptor is for a square fitting air filter which i believe limits you to the K+N only

IMG_20171016_085456200.jpg

On 10/16/2017 at 09:01, mantasrme said:

I've got a spare adaptor kicking around for the airbox to fit a normal round air filter onto. You'd need to make your own bracket to hold the airbox and filter up but thats not hard, the K+N piece is just a bent bit of metal from memory

Oh and the K+N adaptor is for a square fitting air filter which i believe limits you to the K+N only

IMG_20171016_085456200.jpg

How much you want for the adapter mate.

I still use the standard air/filter box, but I replaced the airfilter with one of K&N.

Changed the small air intake tube with a self-made one (bigger diameter) and made sure the airbox 

could get fresh cold air from the front:

33z8nef.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, H-400 said:

I still use the standard air/filter box, but I replaced the airfilter with one of K&N.

Changed the small air intake tube with a self-made one (bigger diameter) and made sure the airbox 

could get fresh cold air from the front:

33z8nef.jpg

This is the proper way to do it. The cone filters are only good if you can get a decent cold air feed. That's not very easy in a GTE engine bay. 

Next to the radiator on (your) the drivers-site there is a hole in a panel where the small air-intake goes.

The big air-intake is fitted in there (will take a picture of it...) and the red hose is connected with the air intake of the bumper.

Just got to be sure my mixture is not to lean when I drive at higher speed so got to check it with a exhaust gas tester...

As Snowy wrote: Cold air! 

• 5 months later...
On 17 October 2017 at 18:27, Snowy said:

This is the proper way to do it. The cone filters are only good if you can get a decent cold air feed. That's not very easy in a GTE engine bay. 

Hi just sorting this out on mine your air box has a nice round tube off yours mines seems to be oval is there different air box bottoms 

cheers Tom 

On 17 October 2017 at 18:27, Snowy said:

Hi Tom, I gleud a plastic rain pipe in the bottom of the airbox, one of 80mm that makes a curve.

I didn't cut complete the oval pipe away, let the top part to press the rain-pipe in with a hose clamp while the gleu 

was drying. Used the same "construction-gleu" to close the splits and painted after drying with a spray-can.

Will look for other pics, 

grts, Herman

iml728.jpg

2n9vymt.jpg

fuowb5.jpg

332a241.jpg

This is the airbox with plastic tubes as they go into the hole next to the radiator.

I folded the hole with a pair of plyers (see pic posted in october above) so the tube fits.

Still got to finish te air-intake in the front of the bumper.

Grts Herman

• Like 2

Nice job, is the air feed from the spoiler?  Could a tray be used and funnelled into a similar feed to max the supply! 

The section below numberplate on GTE spoiler would be a good place, 

I hear a standard box on mantas and even redtop injections is better than any cone filter, even k&n, if you increase the air supply

Had a bit of time in the garage this evening and spotted an old air box on the shelf. Thinking about Hermans modified example so I decided to have a look, I have a few bits of drainpipe hanging about so I dug these out.

Looking at the air box and deciding where to start cutting and how to fit the bits together looked like it could take a while.Instead I thought about heating the drainpipe with a plumbers torch and making it fit.

It heats quite quick and becomes soft enough to manipulate, so a bit of heating and sliding onto the air box inlet cutting heating etc I ended up with this.

8_B37_A43_C_D917_45_FE_AA37_49860_E91908

B7_EB15_F4_E200_49_AA_8969_1_FE2_A53_CB6

B7_D9455_B_5030_4_F1_C_A080_344637_B5290

Edited by Mickfrad

@Evo: I'm going to connect the tube into the frontspoiler, but want to test it with a exhaust tester while I'm driving cause 

don't want to take the risk that my mixture is to lean.

Think there will be a lot more air supply when the air is forced into the filter cause of the speed.

• Like 1