Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

I was awarded a medal in the 1950s for being out in the Sues Canal crisis, but when I look at some of the disasters you have come across with that Cav I think you should have a medal for attending to far bigger disasters!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Julian said:

I was awarded a medal in the 1950s for being out in the Sues Canal crisis, but when I look at some of the disasters you have come across with that Cav I think you should have a medal for attending to far bigger disasters!!

Ha, ha - thanks Julian. I am sure that you were far more deserving than me though!

At the end of the day, its only a few bits of rusty old metal cut out and some new stuff melted in.

Hi All,

This is really an update to say that there wont be any updates for a while.

Its my Wife's 50th Birthday tomorrow and there are a few events taking place over the next few days that will mean that the Cavalier will be ignored I am afraid.

I should be able to pick up the reins again in the middle of next week - sorry!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

Cant reply direct to your wanted post but if you can’t get the plug lead bracket you are after just let me know and il sort you one out. Il have one somewhere .if someone is already looking for one I won’t jump in front of them

Thanks Chris, much appreciated :thumbup

I will let you know.

A pretty productive evening today:

1) Dropped the exhaust front pipe down so that I would be able to punch (well smack really lol) the main crossmember to chassis rail brace bolt through from the outside of the car.

2) Cut off the head of that bolt and sprayed copious amounts of rust release all around to try to get it moving. The first thump and hey presto it started moving. In the end it came out really easily.

3) After removing the arm I attacked it with a cutting disc to try to get the old bush out. After about 15 minutes of cutting and bashing, out it came. It was actually in really good condition, well it was before tonight  :lol:  My thinking here is that I bought a pair (for each side) and I wanted them to match so as to not affect the handling in any way, so it had to come out...

This is what we have now:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

This means that I can now rebuild the suspension back up again on the OSF corner. That's probably a job for the weekend though as I have a pretty busy week ahead at work.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Top work as always, just an idea ian but could you post when you buy new bits, ie, bushes where you got them and price!  It would help others alot, including me, im nearing this bolt removal soon, it will be nearing christmas holiday, so it will give me an excuse to soak the bolt during the holidays, and staying warm inside, eating, drinking, sleeping and staying out of a cold garage. Thats the plan. 

Top work, really like your windscreen repairs, ever consider doing it professionally! Fair play

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Top work as always, just an idea ian but could you post when you buy new bits, ie, bushes where you got them and price!  It would help others alot, including me, im nearing this bolt removal soon, it will be nearing christmas holiday, so it will give me an excuse to soak the bolt during the holidays, and staying warm inside, eating, drinking, sleeping and staying out of a cold garage. Thats the plan. 

Top work, really like your windscreen repairs, ever consider doing it professionally! Fair play

Hi evo, many thanks for your kind words.

Yes of course, no problem at all. I will dig put the listing for the bushes shortly and post it up for you.

Dear All,

This is where I got my front crossmember brace to chassis rail bushes from: http://www.strongflexuk.co.uk/opel/front-subframe-rear-mounting-bush.html 

They seem to be good quality and the price is VERY reasonable too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Top work, if you are ever at a loose end you can come and fit my rear quarter panels for me as I'm still too chicken to start on them. :thumbup

Although I'm moving again in early January and it's a proper double width garage so I won't  have the excuse of not enough room to work in anymore :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, TheRealExile said:

Top work, if you are ever at a loose end you can come and fit my rear quarter panels for me as I'm still too chicken to start on them. :thumbup

Although I'm moving again in early January and it's a proper double width garage so I won't  have the excuse of not enough room to work in anymore :rolleyes:

Ha ha, Hi Terry - you will be fine, you just have to be brave I guess.

I try and work on the principle that it somebody or something has assembled something I can take it apart and either repair or replace it. Every now and again I get caught out though  :lol:

Good luck with the car and the house move!!

Been a busy bee today.

1) Added some small patches to the outside of the OSF chassis leg. No really serious rot was found after some digging around, so I decided to just go with the patches.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

2) After that I treated them to a liberal coating of smooth Hammerite. Once that is dry I will apply some panel sealer and at least twp coats of underseal.

Not a great photo that one though I am afraid, the paint is too wet and there are too many reflections to really see anything in detail...

3) Then I prepared the subframe brace and inserted the new bushes ready for when the paint etc is all is dry.

4) Then I cleaned out all the old sealer from the windscreen rubber seal and did a trial fit after my recent repairs - all good here.

5) Finally, I added some more smooth Hammerite to the screen surround/channel and to any other bare metal before the real bodywork begins. Hopefully that will help it last a few more years. Unfortunately all I had was Black, oh well...

Early start today as we are off out shortly.

Got the repaired areas all undersealed - and me as well... you know how it is!

Then assembled the crossmember brace with its nice new bush. That then allowed me to refit the exhaust (using a new gasket) that will hopefully sort out the slight blow I heard a few weeks ago.

After that the OSF suspension and braking components were all refitted.

Then the OSF wing went back on and I dropped her back down to the ground. 

So.... as far as I know I only have two areas of serious rot to sort out now. These are the two lower corners of the rear screen, shown in the following two photos.

How difficult can that be lol

However, my next job is to refill the brake MC and bleed the brakes. A nice little evening job when my Son is around to help.

Onwards!

• Like 1

Its been one of those good news, bad news afternoons.

The good news is that I managed to get the rear screen out easily and in one piece.

The bad news is the rot that was then revealed...

Oh well, I guess I've seen areas as bad on this car already. Deep breath and just get on with it man!!  😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Its been one of those good news, bad news afternoons.

The good news is that I managed to get the rear screen out easily and in one piece.

The bad news is the rot that was then revealed...

Oh well, I guess I've seen areas as bad on this car already. Deep breath and just get on with it man!!  😂

Is there no end to your resolve! How do you keep going!  I was going to do a bit on mine but had to sort the kids out tonight, now iv seen what’s in front of you I feel quite lucky, I’m off out now to do an hour or two....

57 minutes ago, jamie077366 said:

Is there no end to your resolve! How do you keep going!  I was going to do a bit on mine but had to sort the kids out tonight, now iv seen what’s in front of you I feel quite lucky, I’m off out now to do an hour or two....

Ha ha, go for it matey!

I was looking at Mike's photos just now, and when I saw that beautiful shell all polar white and gleaming, for a second I thought that you had been very busy over the weekend!!!!!! But one day Ian you will have pics like that to show us.

6 hours ago, Julian said:

I was looking at Mike's photos just now, and when I saw that beautiful shell all polar white and gleaming, for a second I thought that you had been very busy over the weekend!!!!!! But one day Ian you will have pics like that to show us.

I doubt that very much Julian, but thanks for the words of encouragement.

Unfortunately my car will never ever be anywhere close to that standard. Some of the work being carried out by other members is simply stunning and a standard that I just dont have the skill, knowledge or tools to compete with.

I will get the car finished and it will be 'OK' though.

• Like 1

Tonight it was time to dig deeper into the rear screen surround.

A new flap disc was fitted to my angle grinder and 30 minutes later this is what we have:

Could be worse, I think... 

I suppose what I have recently learnt by doing the front screen surround will help me greatly here.

• Like 1

:thumbup Nows the time to sort that quarter panel ariel, maybe a roof b sting, or shark roof antena, or build in windscreen jobbie, hate these old things, either quarters or wing mounts, they are just wrong! Patch it! B)

Man....... that car of yours is..... well...... hard work.....respect 

Edited by ®evo03

1 minute ago, ®evo03 said:

Nows the time to sort that quarter panel ariel, maybe a roof b sting, or shark roof antena, or build in windscreen jobbie, hate these old things, either quarters or wing mounts, they are just wrong! Patch it! B)

Mmmm, not sure evo. I like the original look wherever possible.

Having said that I do like the idea of a front roof mounted ariel, any suggestions of what to fit if I went that way?

May be less of a magnet to vandals, being on the roof, we golf ariel may suit, they are short about 6inch, and a springer,  just above interior centre light, between sunvisors. So no or little messing about. Wire should go down A pillar. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-BEESTING-BEE-STING-RADIO-STEREO-FLEXIBLE-AERIAL-ARIEL-ARIAL-MAST-ANTENNA/281841521381?fits=Car+Make:VW&hash=item419f1052e5:g:RQwAAOSwzbxac1ZC&redirect=mobile

Edited by ®evo03