Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

4 minutes ago, bris jas said:

Ian, did Father Christmas bring you anything for the Cav? Next your be wanting to eat your dinner in the garage 😂

Morning!

We have not opened any presents yet Jason, so Santa’s generosity is not yet known.

To be honest, I don’t really need anything - although some long johns might come in handy this time of year for the garage   :lol:

Managed to sneak in a little bit of work earlier.

Added a light dusting of primer to some bare metal areas of the OSR quarter, then after that had mostly dried off, added some stopper filler.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Thats definitely it now as we are off out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bris jas said:

Fair shout to your enthuiasim (prob spelt wrong) just picturing you and your family Ian, having xmas dinner sat around your Cavalier bonnet!

You didn't did you?😏

Don’t be silly, you can’t get the chairs under the wings :lol:

• Like 1

A bit more progress on the filling and sanding 'stuff' this morning.

The rear lower section of the OS quarter is taking shape nicely, not too much more to do here really:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The forward section of the same panel is a different story though, this needs a lot more work to get the lines matched up better. Patience is a virtue as they say:

I used the left over filler to go over some areas of the bonnet. A couple of days ago I noticed some bad indentations on the NS. It looks to me as if someone has probably walked over it at some point...

Oh well, what can you do - you just have to get on with it don't you?

• Like 2

A pretty good day today.

I finally managed to get the finished shape into the two parts of the OSR quarter I had been working on for the last couple of days:

I then proceeded to work on the replacement Manta door:

After that I prepared those two panels for a coat of primer:

Then dusted them both for protection:

Once the primer has dried out, there will be the inevitable going over with stopper filler to correct minor defects and pin holes previously invisible, then another light sand before some more primer.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, IanMc said:

A pretty good day today.

I finally managed to get the finished shape into the two parts of the OSR quarter I had been working on for the last couple of days:

I then proceeded to work on the replacement Manta door:

After that I prepared those two panels for a coat of primer:

Then dusted them both for protection:

Once the primer has dried out, there will be the inevitable going over with stopper filler to correct minor defects and pin holes previously invisible, then another light sand before some more primer.

Oh! I can see what you have there now Ian, It's a Polar White Cavalier!!!! Well done mate. you should be mentioned in the New Years Honour's List

Edited by Julian
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, hoobby said:

Even in grey primmer it's starting to look really good..like a 🏎️ not a 🐕 .I hope you're going to give that garage a dam good clean out before spraying dust can really make a bad job of the best spray job.

Morning Graeme,

Hows things going with your Manta?

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. Yeah, its slowly coming along, but managing to (half) control my instinct to rush through the bodywork to get it all finished...

Funnily enough, I was looking around the garage yesterday thinking what an absolute mess the place was now, with dust and mess everywhere! So you are absolutely right, a really good clean is required before the spray gun comes out.

This morning I have got a bit of prep work done on the OSF wing. There is still a bit of work to do here, but probably tomorrow or Sunday I should be in a position to get a coat of primer on that as well.

Its amazing to see the difference in colour when you compare it to the adjacent bonnet!

• Like 1

I managed to find an old can of primer in the back of my paint storage cabinet this afternoon, so dusted the OSF wing a little while ago.

Next I will turn my attention to the bonnet...

Have a nice evening everyone.

Hi Ian manta is fine.master cylinder was defective and have a replacement but not fitted yet as work long night hours & o/t trying to make ends meet and save up for a set of lowering shocks will get back on the manta when the weather and daylight hours improve as no garage.i may be able to get hold of two plastic bags we fit over aircraft cargo containers will be big enough to line a garage and make a temporary spray booth

14 minutes ago, hoobby said:

i may be able to get hold of two plastic bags we fit over aircraft cargo containers will be big enough to line a garage and make a temporary spray booth

Thats a very kind offer, much appreciated matey. To be honest, I'm actually OK for plastic sheeting though, as I have access to the European plastic sheeting mountain - well kind of...  :lol::thumbup

Glad to hear that your Manta has a resolution in sight, great news! - good luck with the saving and the O/T etc I feel your pain. Unfortunately, life does have a habit of getting in the way of our dreams doesn't it?!

After peeling back the masking tape on the Cav a little while ago, I actually have something that kind of resembles a car - now thats been a long time coming!

Up and at it early again today.

This morning I made a start on the bonnet and the front upper panel. As suspected the bonnet has a lot of low spots caused by something heavy at some point. Perhaps somebody walked over it? or perhaps it just had some items stuck on top of it while the car was laid up? Of course we will never know, so best just to accept it and crack on. 

We are starting with some rough sanding to get some kind of shape into the filler added previously and to try to highlight any previously unseen low spots - which sadly there is...  :(   You will probably be able to make them out on the left and right of the left bonnet 'gutter' hollow.

Then onto the front panel for the same rough sanding. This has also suffered a blow, pretty much spot on the center badge area, causing another low spot.

Worse was to come though as I found more rust! This is on the front panel 'return' where the under headlamp chrome trim strip screws on. I though that originally this was a thin piece about half an inch wide - until I noticed the remains of what should be there further along to the left... So its going to be out with the cutting disc and MIG welder again here. Oh well, its more fun than filling and sanding anyway  :lol: 

We are off out today, so nothing more now until tomorrow I'm afraid.

I hope that you all enjoy your day.  :thumbup

Up with the sparrows this morning to crack on with the rust on the underside of the front panel.

After cutting away the rotten metal I made up a cardboard temple for the new piece.

Sadly the bed of my metal bender is not long enough to handle one piece this long, so I had to make it in two bits and tack them together.

This is after tacking it in place. After it cools, I will gradually fill in the gaps to make a complete seam weld. It seems to be a fairly good fit and should look fine after the welds are dressed and some paint added.

This afternoon a added a few more welds to the return under the top front panel and ground them back with a flap disc. I didn't want to go too mad as I was a little afraid that the panel above might buckle a little. The last thing I need right now is more filling and sanding to fill my day  :lol:

After that I took the flap disc to the very crusty and flaky looking lower front valance. To be honest I expected to find holes, but to my delight it was all just surface stuff and flaky paint on top - result. As you will see though, there is a little ding to try to straight out between the two number plate retaining screw holes. I'm not sure how I am going to tackle that at the moment - any ideas anyone? I thought knocking a wedge of wood in from one side might give me some control?

Lay a metal bar on top of the dent, and one under the dent and screw them together with a clamp.

Then carefully hammer the dent on the front back. And if that doesn't work, hang your numberplate high enough...

I stopped working at 4 pm, was cleaning all the parts of the front suspension. Outside cause it is a dirty job but had to stop.

The metal was too cold and getting wet cause of condensation. 

Don't forget tomorrow it's New Years Eve!

11 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Lay a metal bar on top of the dent, and one under the dent and screw them together with a clamp.

Then carefully hammer the dent on the front back. 

That’s a great idea Herman, many thanks.

The number plate will cover it anyway, but after all of the other work there is no way I am going to leave it like that.

Its actually surprisingly warm here at the moment - we had 10 degrees C today!

Good luck with the suspension cleaning - are you going to repaint it?

I stripped the complete axle/suspension. (together with help of my son), the bolts and some more parts will be passivated, (yellow zinc plating)

Today we degreased the parts, and derusted them with a grinder. The axle is still in good condition so it was easy to do. Had more work with degreasing.

Maybe we will do some more tomorrow, but as I wrote: New Years Eve, Got to get my mom and so on... 

Think I have to post some more pics on this forum, found something like a date stamped in one of the lower suspension arms.

Have all a great party tomorrow!

Hi ian. You are very lucky if the front valance is reuseable.they are usually rotted through.not that it realy matters I would just replace it anyway. They can still be found but admittedly getting rarer than they were in the 80’s.i think I have replaced mine on the green one twice and on my hatch 3 or 4 times due to rust chips .

also and no offence intended to the member who posted about putting the number plate higher.this is personally one of my pet hates and to ME can make or break a good looking car . The number plate should be fitted onto the bracket positioned upwards with the plate level with its top edge.ive seen so many where the bracket has been fittedwrong way up ,the number plate has been fitted with screws in the middle of it rather than top edge ,and even worse ! The number plate screwed straight flat to the valance itself. 

See google pictures or brochures you will see what I mean. But as I say pleas no offence intended,each to their own. 

Hi Chris,

The front balance on my last three Cavs (two coupes and a saloon) were all rusted through where they meet the wings. With all of the other rot on this car, it seems inconceivable that there was no rust in this area, a really nice surprise.

I know what you mean about the number plate mounting bracket - it will be done  :D

@ cam.in.head: No problem, was more meant as a joke. And yes I did check pics of Vauxhall brochures. 

Looks the best and is technical the better way, the numberplate can have a bad influence to your cooling system 

when it is fitted too high, a Manta has got those slots above the bumper but the most air will come from beneath.

A pic of my first Manta, long ago:

Think you can approve position of my numberplate;

Grts, Herman