Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

At long last, the roof is shaped and primed - that felt like it took forever!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Next up I think will be the front scuttle. I'm not brave enough to try to remove the wiper linkage, so I'm going to try to work around the stubs. I might live to regret those words...

• Like 1

Hi ianMc,

the wipers are so easy to take out, just slacken and remove the two top nuts and drop it under the scuttle Pannel, then screw the nuts back on for safe keeping, you haven’t stuck at anything yet and a small job like this by what I’ve seen is well within your capabilities, take the wiper mechanism out and save yourself the masking up, it all comes out in one unit , motor attached, can’t go wrong 👍

10 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Hi ianMc,

the wipers are so easy to take out, just slacken and remove the two top nuts and drop it under the scuttle Pannel, then screw the nuts back on for safe keeping, you haven’t stuck at anything yet and a small job like this by what I’ve seen is well within your capabilities, take the wiper mechanism out and save yourself the masking up, it all comes out in one unit , motor attached, can’t go wrong 👍

OK, thanks Mike. I will take a look in the morning and follow your suggestion if I feel brave. :lol:

If you do and if you feel a little bit more brave then stripping the wiper spindles is worth doing while it's all out. The original grease is likely to be long gone and will start to wear them out. You can't oil them from above due to a rubber seal. I did do a write up on here somewhere on how to do it but can't find it at the moment. It's surprising how faster they run when it's done.

:thumbup

• Like 1

Being the small excitable child that I am, I had to go straight out to the garage to see if I could shift this linkage.

As Mike had predicted, it was a doddle...

Ta da!!

While that assembly is out, I will take the opportunity to clean and lubricate as best as I. And also tidy up this grubby corner of the engine bay:

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate all your help and advice  :thumbup

• Like 2

Well that has surprised me, on both of my latest restorations the wiper linkage was a right pain to take out (and put back in), it seamed with the soundeadener on the bulkhead it didn't want to drop down and made it a struggle.

Ian did yours just come out that easily?

11 minutes ago, bris jas said:

Well that has surprised me, on both of my latest restorations the wiper linkage was a right pain to take out (and put back in), it seamed with the soundeadener on the bulkhead it didn't want to drop down and made it a struggle.

Ian did yours just come out that easily?

Yes Sir, literally 10 minutes from start to finish.

I got a little bit done this morning after my Sunday morning 'blow the cobwebs away' run.

The scuttle panel was rubbed down and I have to say that this is probably one of the best panels on the whole car, but as we all know, thats not really saying much on this old rot box  :lol:  :rolleyes:

There were some imperfections and low spots at the ends in the areas where I had repaired the lower screen corners, but I knew about those anyway, so that was no surprise. Sop the next thing to do was to add a little fine stopper filler to try to level those areas out and cover up the low points of the welds etc. The N/S was the worst side, but that was probably the most rotten, so I guess that makes sense too.

With hindsight, the N/S stopper filler is probably a bit thick for that application, so I probably should have just used normal body filler. It will be OK, it will just takes a couple of hours in these temperatures to dry right through.

Cheers all, have a good day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRealExile said:

Wasn't too bad, Still got my full garage to move and more importantly the Manta and spares though, sort the front garden and then a wall to paint!

Garage contents and Manta next, everything else last. :D

• Like 1

A little bit of sanding this evening on the scuttle panel and lower front screen corners.

The drivers side is pretty well sorted, but the passenger side still had a couple of low spots. Therefore another thin skim of stopper filler was applied and left to dry.

Tomorrow evening the battle will resume  :thumbup

• Like 1

Some more work on the scuttle panel this evening, which ended in a quick coat of some primer. I actually bought dark grey in error, but I like it - a lot!

There is still some work to do in this area, but its certainly coming round.

14 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Ian any thoughts on your final paint, will you spray car yourself, or what paint are you using? 2k?  Word of caution to aviid reactions with the use of rattle can primers.

1 hour ago, TheRealExile said:

Might need to flat it and put a barrier coat if using 2k. you may get away with flat and then a very light coat of 2k to seal it, maybe try a small area first? 

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your questions, thoughts and advice etc.

The short answer is 'yes' - I do know what I am going to do/use. However, all I will say at this point is it will be a spayed finish.

I think once I declare my intentions there will be a multitude of reactions, including:

- surprise

- interest

- outrage

- laughter

- encouragement

I will reveal all when I get to that stage, which should be around the mid-end of February.

17 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Yep total respect whatever you decide, just a point, would a wrap work over primer? 

One note on rattle cans, costs can mount up, and finish deteriate quickly. 

Thanks evo.

I wont be wrapping or using rattle cans...

Not a great deal done tonight as my Daughter wanted her new TV on the wall.

I did make a start stripping down the wiper motor and linkage assembly, but plenty more to do.

Hopefully I can make a bit more progress tomorrow and post some photos then.