Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

28 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

Just had a look on u tube on how to shrinking body panels .uesd heat to shrink the metal look like it works.Might be worth having a look see what you think 

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Unfortunately I have the bonnet frame/bracing on the underside to hamper me.

Just caught up with your thread, had missed out since Christmas. Wow, some progress, great work. Great patience and perseverance too. What are we all going to do when you're finished?! Any chance you'd start on another resto straight away...?!

3 hours ago, moodoo said:

Just caught up with your thread, had missed out since Christmas. Wow, some progress, great work. Great patience and perseverance too. What are we all going to do when you're finished?! Any chance you'd start on another resto straight away...?!

Hi moodoo, many thanks for your kind words - much appreciated.

To he honest, I am actually a little frustrated that things are not a bit further on than they currently are...

I’m sure you will all find something much more entertaining to do than read this rubbish when I eventually finish! :lol:

Another resto? Not straight after, no - in the future? Life teaches you to never say never...

Very little done tonight - slacking again lol

1) I added some stopper filler to some minor air pockets and small scratches in a lot of places (the pink smudges that you can see).

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

2) Added some more muck in the large low point in front and to the left of the OS washer jet. I already know its not enough, but I came to the end of the tin - typical!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The bonnet will be finished any year now  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, 1200bandit said:

You will have to be careful when closing the bonnet.As the filler my crack if the bonnet gets slammed shut 

Yes, the same thought had crossed my mind Wayne. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens now - I'm in too deep to turn back now.

Another hour spent in the garage sanding and filling this evening. What do I have to show for it? - well not much really...  judge for yourselves.  :unsure:

Ian I'm sure it will look fantastic when done and yes I hate this type of work it's the same as decorating and painting 90%  prep but worth it if done well.you should look back at the beginning of this epic topic to see how far you have come really looking forward to see this driving around town.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hoobby said:

Ian I'm sure it will look fantastic when done and yes I hate this type of work it's the same as decorating and painting 90%  prep but worth it if done well.you should look back at the beginning of this epic topic to see how far you have come really looking forward to see this driving around town.

:D  :thumbup

Today was another one of those two steps forward, one step back evenings.

The steps forward - sanded back the filler chucked on last night:

The step back was realising that I hadn't quite put enough on and having to apply another layer, albeit quite thin. More frustration as it will now be Saturday before I can tackle that area again, as tomorrow is Archery night  :thumbup

More bonnet sanding this morning, its gradually coming around:

Then another skim to fill in those troughs:

Incidentally, I don't know if it will help anyone else or not, but I have found a set of 4 x filler applicators in Poundland. I am finding these way better than the plastic semi-rigid rubbish that you get with your filler tub.

They are far more flexible and the very fine edge make getting a smoother initial finish easier too.  Hopefully they might help someone else too.

Have a great weekend everyone.

1 hour ago, 1200bandit said:

I have used them and found to be very good.if you put sound deading under the bonnet it may put some strength into the bonnet skin

It’s not that it’s weak Wayne, it’s just bent as hell lol

I bet you cant guess what I've been up to for the last couple of hours - yes that's right!, sanding the flippy bonnet  :lol:

Made some good progress and I even got to the stage of adding some stopper filler.

With a bit of luck, I might even be able to get this in primer tomorrow...

Up with (well, actually before) the birds this morning to crack on with the Cav's bonnet. After my early morning run it was out to the garage to cool off a bit.

I managed to get the final few bits of stopper filler added, then sanded (repeat etc - yawn!) and moved on to final sanding.

Then out came the primer. One coat dusting and we have this:

Hopefully I can get another couple of coats of primer on later today and we will see what have.

Have a good day everyone.

This afternoon I managed to get a second coat of primer on the bonnet, then left it to dry in the glorious Winter sunshine.

With the OS, roof, bonnet and boot lid done I then needed to try to turn it around to give me more room in the garage to do the NS...

Getting ready to head out into the big wide world:

Well it did start and it did make it up the driveway, just. My Daughter was determined to have a go...

The 'to do' side   :lol:  God help me.

Oh well, its turned around now and just those three panels to prepare now.

• Like 5

Motivated by this weekends small milestone, I decided to dive straight into the N/S panels this evening.

First off I hit the front wing with the DA sander and some 80 grit. Its not completely done yet, but already I can see that this wing has been a few different colours before - there is some light Blue, Green and Silver now visible  :lol:  :thumbup

Then I moved along a bit and started on the door. Sadly the evidence that this was once a Manta Berlinetta door is quickly disappearing...

Next I ground off the side trim mounting 'pegs' (which you can also see in the above photo). This is simply because they are higher up on a Cav door.

Finally I made a couple of minor adjustments to the line of the wing to door. Basically the wing was a bit too low from the swage line and downwards. A washers between the wing and the A post in both positions (the two bolts that you access from behind the foot well trim panel) solved that easily. However, this now meant that I need to widen the slot at the very base of the wing by about 2 mm though to allow the last bolt to go in OK.

Enjoy your evening guys.

• Like 2

A very small update this evening as I have a very early start for work in the morning and I really do need my beauty sleep  :D

Just about 20-30 minutes block sanding the filler I chucked on the front wing yesterday.

Much more work is needed here.

Some decent progress this morning.

I got stuck into sanding the NS front wing and the door. Both are coming back into shape quite nicely, I'm pleased with them both so far.

After this rough sand I applied some stopper filler to any obvious pin holes and imperfections on both the door bottom and the wing. These are the pale pink areas you can see in the photo below. Apologies I forgot to take a photo of the bottom of the door after I had done this. Suffice to say its boring detail anyway  :lol:

Then to wrap up for the day I decided to mix up some filler and make a bit of a start on the NSR quarter panel where I had grafted in the new arch etc. That work seems like an eternity ago now!

Have a great weekend everyone!  :thumbup

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bris jas said:

Not long now Ian until its ready for paint, when are you hoping to get it painted?

Very true Jason. To be honest I am almost having to force myself to slow down and to keep being methodical...

I’m hoping that around the end of this month I might be ready for some top coat - fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Sound good progress this morning. I managed to get the NSF wing and door sanded down then I got ready to add some primer. I did think that this would show up some imperfections that I had missed - it always does. But of course unless you do it, you will never know...

So here we are ready to add the primer:

Then after the first dusting:

Then after the second coat:

As anticipated there is some more work to be done on both of these panels, but it is quite small compared to the others.

My biggest error was getting too close to the panel and/or lingering too long, causing a drip under the wing mirror and several along the bottom of the door. I will wait until it is thoroughly dry before I get too depressed though, as I had something similar on the front two piece spoiler and in the end they were barely visible once dry. What I feared would be a full sand back to bare plastic turned out to be nothing like that.

This afternoon I inspected the areas I primed earlier and as expected I found a series of small imperfections. So it was out with the trusty stopper filler.

Once that has dried I will flat those areas back out and re-prime accordingly.

After that I mixed up some more normal body filler and added that to the rear quarter panel.

Once that has gone off, its back to even more boring sanding...  :lol:

• Like 4

Spent a sweaty hour this evening grafting on the NSR quarter panel.

There is still a loooonnngggg way to go yet, but the motivation is that this is the LAST, yes the last panel, to do on the whole car!

If, and that's a very big if, I can get this panel shaped up during the week, who knows what might happen next weekend...

• Like 3