Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

26 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

Stop slacking off its playing out weather at the moment !  

Ha ha 

Lol, thanks Chris - if only eh?!

Got some more sanding on the NSR quarter tonight. Its starting to get a quite good basic shape now. As usual, this sanding exposed some low spots and air pockets, so another thin skim of filler was required.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Then tomorrow evening we can do it all again...   :lol:  :thumbup

Have a nice evening all.

In the time you have done all that I have managed to rust proof 2 inner wings, I STILL need to final paint them. :rolleyes:

Thought I'd get that done this weekend but nope 8AM tomorrow a 8 x 6 Shed is arriving flat pack, guess what I'm doing Saturday :mellow: still as a bonus it gets the mower and garden crap and bikes out of the garage :thumbup

Sunday, a number of family Birthdays to celebrate, 14 of us at the Chinese Buffet, always next weekend :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

In the time you have done all that I have managed to rust proof 2 inner wings, I STILL need to final paint them. :rolleyes:

Thought I'd get that done this weekend but nope 8AM tomorrow a 8 x 6 Shed is arriving flat pack, guess what I'm doing Saturday :mellow: still as a bonus it gets the mower and garden crap and bikes out of the garage :thumbup

Sunday, a number of family Birthdays to celebrate, 14 of us at the Chinese Buffet, always next weekend :rolleyes:

Hi Terry,

Re: the wings - as long as the progress is forwards, your doing OK!

Re: the shed - I hope its a nice day!

Re: the Chinese Buffet - that sounds great - enjoy!!  :thumbup

All the best!

• Like 1

A useful couple of hours sanding this morning.

The shape of the 'rough' parts of the NSR quarter are really taking shape now. Typically I have run out of sand paper again, so I.m off to buy some more.

When I return I will be adding what will hopefully be the last few dollops of filler and then we can get into final sanding, filler stopper etc.

With a bit of luck this panel might even be finished this weekend.

Got a bit more done this evening.

The areas ahead of and behind the arch are pretty much finished now, but I found two problems...

1) The arch itself was nowhere near flared enough (I made a cardboard template using the profile from the other side to compare).

2) There was another dent in front of the arch on the upper section of the panel (just above the swage line).

My green marker lines show you where the problems were.

So both of these things meant I had to mix up some more filler to try to address those issues. Oh well, it will dry overnight, so I can tackle those tomorrow.

Have a nice evening everyone  :thumbup

Another early start today. After my run it was out to the garage to do some sanding (yawn...   :rolleyes:).

Everything was going pretty well until I realised that I hadn't quite added enough filler to the top of the arch flare. So that quickly come to a halt and some more was chucked on. The good news is that everything else is fairly well sorted now, so once that has dried and sanded I will be ready for some primer - assuming I can get the shape correct of course  :lol:

I'll report back later.

Got a bit more done this afternoon after a shopping trip with the Mrs. I'm stumbling towards the finishing line with the NSR quarter.

There are just a couple of areas to deal with now that I have just added some more filler to - these are the little devils:

I think I will struggle to get those finished later, but whatever happens they will certainly be done during the week. Whats the point of rushing things now?!

• Like 1

I managed to sneak in a few last minutes this evening. We are now very close with this panel.

Just a quick sand tomorrow evening over the last few dabs of filler (covering some minor imperfections), then its out with the primer.

As you can see I have already done most of the masking in preparation and anticipation  :thumbup

Have a good evening everyone.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Going great guns Ian, fair play, any joy on the seat material?  Thanks for the door bits, will be very helpful, cheers. 

Hi mate,

Nope, no luck on the seat material yet I'm afraid. To be honest I've pretty much made up my mind its going to have to be a replacement seat or complete cover. Your welcome to the door bits, its nice to see a bit of the old girl helping somebody else out in some small way.

Cheers for now.

Hi Ian. Regarding the seat material I wouldn't worry. Everything EVETUALLY pops up on eBay that you want I tend to find.i assume you would pop a cover over the drivers seat anyway to protect it so no one realy knows what's under there !. 

Sounds like you are getting very close now and have gained a lot of experience / skills along the way. ( remember when you started ,you didn't even know what was inside an alternator but now that will be baby stuff to you. )!

Trouble is you will then want to do another resto .mind you it's still a full time job maintaining a classic .you never realy FINISH a car as such it's an ongoing maintenance/ repair/ service / improve  lifestyle that sets us classic nutters apart from ordinary everyday folk. We actually enjoy it and they can't understand us.! 

All part of the fun .

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

Hi Ian. Regarding the seat material I wouldn't worry. Everything EVETUALLY pops up on eBay that you want I tend to find.i assume you would pop a cover over the drivers seat anyway to protect it so no one realy knows what's under there !. 

Sounds like you are getting very close now and have gained a lot of experience / skills along the way. ( remember when you started ,you didn't even know what was inside an alternator but now that will be baby stuff to you. )!

Trouble is you will then want to do another resto .mind you it's still a full time job maintaining a classic .you never realy FINISH a car as such it's an ongoing maintenance/ repair/ service / improve  lifestyle that sets us classic nutters apart from ordinary everyday folk. We actually enjoy it and they can't understand us.! 

All part of the fun .

Ha ha, how true all of that is - cheers Chris.

So after getting in from work, it was straight out to the garage to get the last little bit of sanding done on the NSR quarter.

Once I was happy, it was out with the primer. Thats when I hit a problem, it reacted! I think it must have been some of the new paint that I had tried for a colour match a few weeks ago. Obviously I didn't sand it all off - bugger! 

You can see the affected area on the top face of the panel, just back from the door.

Oh well I can flat it back and give it some more primer tomorrow, I'm sure it will be fine in the end - very frustrating though...

A tiny backwards step this evening. While I was finish sanding the NSR quarter I wasn't happy with the lines of where that panel meets the roof pillar/C post, it just didn't quite flow right. So I added a small amount of filler so that I can take my time until I am happy with that corner. That is one of those places that immediately grabs your attention, so it has to be just right.

Once that is done I will be ready to start adding topcoat!

I plan to start with the 'difficult' areas first i.e. the door shuts, inside the boot, underside of the boot lid and bonnet, wing bolt rails etc etc. Then once those are done I will go for the whole exterior of the car. With any luck I can start with the White at the weekend - the weather is forecast to be warm and sunny, so that is an unexpected bonus!  :thumbup

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 4

Not a great deal done this evening to be honest as I got home late from work and I have (yet another) very early start and long day ahead tomorrow.

Anyway.... the last / reworked part of the NSR quarter is nearly done. I just need the stopper filler to dry off and then we can get it all smoothed out. Hopefully either tomorrow or Friday the primer will go (back) on.

• Like 1

After a really long day at work (04:15 to 17:00) I have to be honest and say that I really didn't fancy working on the Cav too much...

However, I forced myself to get out there and I'm now glad I did. I'm now happy with the shape of the 'C' post area.

The primer is still very wet in the above photo, so its a bit tricky to see exactly whats going on, but its OK for me.

Have a good evening everyone.

• Like 1

Great work, you're getting close now. Would be ace if it was possible to make the VBOA meet in July.

This thread is also an inspiration to read, not only do you find time to work on your car but you also manage to keep this thread updated. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mantaray said:

Great work, you're getting close now. Would be ace if it was possible to make the VBOA meet in July.

This thread is also an inspiration to read, not only do you find time to work on your car but you also manage to keep this thread updated. 

Hi mantaray,

Many thanks for your kind words, much appreciated. Where/what is the VBOA meet?

If it’s a show, I’m not sure my car would hold its own amongst the beautiful cars I have seen on this forum! :lol: