Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

13 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

need an education on coat enamel! B)B)

Just Google something like ‘spraying car in Coach Enamel’ and you will find that plenty of people use it. It’s very popular with the old Land Rover scene etc

You will find plenty of videos on YouTube where people have painted their cars with brushes and/or rollers with Rustoleum, which is basically the same paint.

By the way, the total cost for this respray (coach enamel and the correct thinners) is £68

That bought me 5L of paint and 2L of thinners. I am going to have so much White left over I could probably do 10 more coats. Handy for any future ‘incidents’ I guess lol

• Like 1

This evening I rushed home from work so that I would have time to apply the third and final coat before the temperature started to drop too low.

Mission accomplished:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Its nowhere near perfect, but I'm still quite pleased with the way its gone. What do you expect for less than £70 ?!   :lol:

Tomorrow I will start to remove the masking tape and paper. Then the big assembly can begin (while the paint is drying right through). I would say it will be at least 2 weeks before I can think about any wet sanding. But in that time I should be able to mess around fitting front and rear screens, polishing chrome etc etc.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, IanMc said:

What do you expect for less than £70 ?!   

Thats food for thought, might be a stupid question but could you get carlsberg green! Pine green for a gtj manta b. Whats the fumes like.

I know 2k can be dangerous. Must youtube enamel paint! Is it for the likes of old cast iron baths and stoves etc, or is that baked enamel?

Car looks good, always found paint takes at least a few weeks if months to fully harden. Anyway your car looks brillant, congrats.

With your paint left over, what about door shuts, inner wings, sills, boot, etc?

12 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Thats food for thought, might be a stupid question but could you get carlsberg green! Pine green for a gtj manta b. Whats the fumes like.

I know 2k can be dangerous. Must youtube enamel paint! Is it for the likes of old cast iron baths and stoves etc, or is that baked enamel?

Car looks good, always found paint takes at least a few weeks if months to fully harden. Anyway your car looks brillant, congrats.

With your paint left over, what about door shuts, inner wings, sills, boot, etc?

Hi evo, I hope that you are well?

With regards to your Green, some suppliers claim to be able to mix whatever colour you want or need, you just need to give the BS, RAL number or code.

The fumes are OK, but naturally I still wore a mask, but it doesn't need to be air fed or anything. The fumes are similar to something like a regular gloss paint, probably less thinking about it.

Once the paper etc is off I will do the inside of the boot air, door shuts etc one small bit at a time, there is no rush for any of that really. I might even use a brush or gloss roller for some of those areas - you will be absolutely amazed what finish can be achieved with those!

Here is a little video to keep you interested, but there are probably hundreds more examples: 

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Once the paper etc is off I will do the inside of the boot

Unsure about the Cavalier Coupes, but the inside of the boot on the Manta was finished in semi-matt black. Now that I come to think of it, there are some recent photos on Mikes Manta restoration thread. 

Anyway, well done on the spray job. Quite something for £70! Looking forward to seeing once you get it flattened and polished. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

Unsure about the Cavalier Coupes, but the inside of the boot on the Manta was finished in semi-matt black. Now that I come to think of it, there are some recent photos on Mikes Manta restoration thread. 

Anyway, well done on the spray job. Quite something for £70! Looking forward to seeing once you get it flattened and polished. 

Thank you Sir, appreciated. The Cavs were different then as all of mine (this is my third) have all been body colour in the boot.

I feel that the last few days have really brought me over the brow of the hill and (hopefully) it will be a run downhill to the finish now.

This car will turn 40 on the 1st of April, (which is kind of ironic :lol:), but it would be lovely to think that it might be finished in time to celebrate its Birthday in style.

1 hour ago, Monaco Blue said:

Unsure about the Cavalier Coupes, but the inside of the boot on the Manta was finished in semi-matt black. Now that I come to think of it, there are some recent photos on Mikes Manta restoration thread

Working on a early b, its body colour inside boot, other b is also body colour. Remember a cav 2 dr ascona shape was body colour, maybe its the later gtes etc being matt black, cost saving maybe. 

• Like 1

Not much done tonight apart from unwrapping a giant present  :lol:

Sadly there will be no progress tomorrow either as I am off to Belgium for the day on a business trip - another long day...

Have a nice evening everyone.

• Like 4

Must be Audi, Volvo and Ford are located somewhere else.

We use to have more car manufactors in Belgium, the unions made sure they closed. I respect those workers on Audi-Belgium,

they gave up a bit of their salary to keep the factory in Belgium... But that's politics, not on it's place at a car-forum.

I wish you a pleasant stay in Belgium!

15 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Think we are all curious yet...

Believe it or not, I can’t actually tell you who I am visiting as we have signed a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)...

My company has a large range of insulated tools, safety clothing etc for working on Electric and Hybrid Vehicles - that’s what I am here to discuss.

I have just pottered around a bit tonight, sorting through trim clips etc etc.

I did consider trying to fit some bits and pieces, but I feel the paint would benefit from another day or two drying time, so chickened out...

Archery night tomorrow, but I promise you all a very productive weekend!

• Like 2

Hi All,

Its been a hectic weekend with one thing and another. It was my Birthday yesterday and also my Nephews 18th Birthday celebration meal (his actual Birthday is tomorrow), so we have had meals out and all of the associated running around etc...

Anyway... I have managed to spend some time on the Cav, so this is what we have got done this weekend:

Headlights back in and wired up and indicator lenses cleaned. Then the Vauxhall badge was refitted:

Front bumper supports fitted and of course the chrome bumper itself:

Then the rubber bumper section was added:

Next the trim strip that sits between the headlights and the bumper was added:

Then I remembered that I still hadn't paint the front two part spoiler, so the first two coats of paint have been added to that (one or two more to go):

The NS door shut area was then painted up and the check strap fitted along with the door card etc:

Then the door top trim pieces were fitted that retain the outer rain rubbers. These both still need a really good clean by the way):

Two of the rear boot badges were added - a bit random buy I really just wanted to see what they looked like lol:

Next I faced a challenge... You might remember me saying that the two Manta doors that I had fitted had the trim retaining 'pins' located lower than the Can door ones. Well before painting this meant that I had to cut them all off, but now I had the side trim strips to fit - but how?

In true bodger style I came up with an idea - these photos explain how I did it better than any words:

It turns out that this trim strip is going to nicely cover what is probably the worst drip on the car - what luck!

And the result of this technique on both sides of the car:

The last job today was to fit the two 'hockey sticks' to the front valance (using the same technique as I used on the doors):

Naturally there is still tons to do, but we are making some progress. Tomorrow of Tuesday I hope to be able to refit the front spoiler which will mean that the front will then be finished.

I'm going back to work tomorrow for a rest lol

Have a good evening everyone.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, IanMc said:

It turns out that this trim strip is going to nicely cover what is probably the worst drip on the car - what luck!

Your not kidding there! ☺️ That was a stroke of luck! It's looking good though! Must be very pleasing getting to fit all the trim etc. back on again! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Have you used stainless steel screws and wax oil inside the doors to prevent rust

Hi Wayne,

No I didn't use Stainless screws, mainly because B&Q didn't have them as self tappers and I wanted to crack on with the job...

However, the door skins and DOOR bottoms were Waxolyled many weeks ago before both the membranes and door cards were fitted. I also took the precaution of adding  a small amount of White 'mastic' to the top of the back face of trim clips to try to persuade any rain water to run around the hole/screw thread.

I fairly happy that it will be OK.

Thanks for mentioning that though, much appreciated  :thumbup

Hi Ian

Been following your thread since the beginning & i wouldn't have had the confidence to tackle some of the work that you have.

You are now well on the way to getting it back on the road & hopefully you can bring it to the annual Manta, Ascona Cavalier meet at the VBOA show at Sywell Aerodrome Northants over the weekend of Saturday 6th - Sunday 7th July 2019. I & others would love to meet you & see the finished car.

Before you finish fitting up the front of your car consider painting the area black below the bumper where the indicators are fitted.

The colour i think is called Anthracite & is semi gloss finish.

Your Cavalier would have had that look just like the front of  my Manta when new.

38 minutes ago, Rapierdave said:

Hi Ian

Been following your thread since the beginning & i wouldn't have had the confidence to tackle some of the work that you have.

You are now well on the way to getting it back on the road & hopefully you can bring it to the annual Manta, Ascona Cavalier meet at the VBOA show at Sywell Aerodrome Northants over the weekend of Saturday 6th - Sunday 7th July 2019. I & others would love to meet you & see the finished car.

Before you finish fitting up the front of your car consider painting the area black below the bumper where the indicators are fitted.

The colour i think is called Anthracite & is semi gloss finish.

Your Cavalier would have had that look just like the front of  my Manta when new.

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Yes, I have already got that base covered, although I actually haven't got the paint yet. It should have been with me last week according to the Seller...

When it shows up I will get that done.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

not sure if I missed it but, why are you not flatting a nd sloshing before your build up, making life very hard for yourself there as the paint job doesn't look too bad and with a decent flatting and mopping a really good standard could be achieved if the paint is thick enough but having all the trim and stuff in the way will hamper it greatly