Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

Great job refitting these tricky trims Ian, that lower front spoiler looks great now its back on. I like your forward planning with those trim clips, nothing more frustrating when your ready to get on with the next job and a small but important clip is missing.

Your on 1000 hits now :thumbup

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bris jas said:

Great job refitting these tricky trims Ian, that lower front spoiler looks great now its back on. I like your forward planning with those trim clips, nothing more frustrating when your ready to get on with the next job and a small but important clip is missing.

Your on 1000 hits now :thumbup

Thanks Jason, much appreciated.

I managed to get a little bit done on the Cav before I disappear off to Archery.

The NSF wheel arch trim 'thingy' is now back on.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

As you will see, I did opt for a 'nut and bolt' type fixing in the end, I just don't like rivets holding trim stuff in place I am afraid. I know they work and it would all be fine, but that's just me  :rolleyes:

Apologies to the purists.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

Ah now i can see that your car is a 1979 model so it has the later air filter, where as mine & Julian's are 1978 models with the earlier air filter.

Mine is August 1977.  I like that number plate, I wouldn't change it.

Edited by Julian
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Ian, i tried, failed, any red seat where burned, binned destroyed! He modified cavs in asconas, mainly fiited buckets, so thought, if anyone has red seats, how wrong was i.

Trying as you did is not failing my friend, it is the actions of a genuine, kind person.

Thanks a million for trying mate, much appreciated :thumbup

Up with the Sparrows again this morning, thanks to our old Cat who was desperate to go out and do a wee - it comes to us all eventually...  :lol:

I can now report that the NSR wheel arch trim is fitted. That caused some chew as this arch originally came from the front and none of the trim holes were lining up. So no problem I thought, drill some new ones - but could I find my drill sets anywhere?!?!  About 20 minutes later I found them under the car where I had left them in preparation for what? - yes, fitting the NSR arch liner...

After that the OSF and OSR were fitted followed by the sill trim plate.

The arch trims were very easy, but the sill strip gave a bit of a fight due to the weld repairs documented somewhere above and the absence of trim mounting pins etc. Anyway, that's all behind us now - ONWARDS!

• Like 1

I stumbled across a few old car photos a few days ago, I thought that they might give some of you a laugh so here they are:

My first ever car a 1.6 Cav Saloon. This photo was taken on the first holiday I had with my now Wife. We drove down to the West Coast of France in it. By the looks of it I had seriously overloaded it! We got there and back safe and sound though.

And the same car after some kind soul had hit it in the back and cleared off...

Then I moved up to a 1.9 Coupe. This photo was taken on the Isle of Arran around 1988

The paint went all 'weird' on the roof, so I decided to respray it myself - in completely the wrong colour of Blue lol  My mate Jim had a White Coupe and these photos were taken in the driveway behind my Parents house. This would have been around 1990 - 1991

Jim still misses his Coupe to this day and hasn't yet seen what I have been up to in my garage.

I actually had a Fiat X19 follow me for miles, then when I parked up he jumped out and offered me £250 for my reg - like an idiot I said no!

Memories eh?!

Cheers all, enjoy.

• Like 6

Got a little bit more done this afternoon.

Firstly I refitted the wiper linkage and motor:

Following that was a quick function test - all good  :thumbup

Next I turned my attention to the washer jets and piping. I disconnected all of the piping and blew it through using my compressor. Again, this was all fine and no blockages or restrictions were found.

I decided to treat the washer nozzles themselves to a mini service:

- a quick sand

- a blow through with an airline - both were blocked, badly... I then found that my spray gun cleaning needle was perfect not only for removing the blockages, but also for changing the aim of the nozzles.

- lastly, a quick lick of paint. Don't tell anyone - its Renault paint, left over from my Sons (pain in the arse) Clio. I've never been more pleased to see a car get sold!   :unsure:  There is probably still a few bits of my skin still attached to that car  :lol:

Lastly, I spent about an hour having a really good tidy up, although looking over my shoulder as I locked up, you would never know it  :D

Have a nice evening everyone.

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 3

An 'itty bitty'kind of day today.

Our integral dishwasher decided to die yesterday, so a new one was sourced today and I spend the next 4 hours taking out the old and installing the new. Four hours of valuable car time!  :lol:

Anyway, I still managed to get a few little things done:

1) I painted the rear quarter glass hinge 'outside things' on both sides of the car, along with the corner triangles in Black too:

2) When I removed the rear bumper in November 2017, one of the mounting brackets was toast and just broke in two as I undid the bolt.I kept it with the intention of making a new one when I reached the appropriate point (assuming I would get that far!). Well that day was today - this was the original and some scrap Steel I thought might work out:

And a few minutes of making a lot of noise later, we have something that will work once a couple of holes are drilled/filed:

As I prepped the rear quarter glass areas for paint I noticed (due to the very bright light I had set up) a lot of micro scratches on the rear panel I had previously painted - no idea where they have come from, although I suspect one of our cats might know something. I decided I couldn't ignore that, so added a tiny amount of filler in the affected areas then flatted it all back down in readiness for some more paint in the week.

Last job of the day was to drill the boot lid and fit the last badge:

Have a nice evening everyone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, H-400 said:

HaHa! You repair a whole car and don't fix a simple dishwasher? 

Good point Herman, ha ha.

I guess it all comes down to whether we find it interesting enough (or not)!

3 hours ago, hoobby said:

Hi Ian was looking at your photos of days gone by and the second photo really caught my eye is that round the back of st Michaels hospital the nurses home?.

Yes Sir, 100% correct - my Wife was an Auxiliary at St. Michael's when I first met her (living in that accommodation). Then about a year later she went over to Broomfield to do her Nurse training and became an SEN.

In fact it was while my car was parking at that nursing accommodation, that it was hit in the back...

2 hours ago, Exclusive Opel said:

Dish washer+car parts=clean car parts!

😉😎

Ha ha, yes - been there, done that, just dont tell the Mrs.

By the way, dishwasher cleaning tablets in a cars cooling system cleans it all out very well - dont ask me how I know that though  :thumbup

6 hours ago, IanMc said:

Yes Sir, 100% correct - my Wife was an Auxiliary at St. Michael's when I first met her (living in that accommodation). Then about a year later she went over to Broomfield to do her Nurse training and became an SEN.

In fact it was while my car was parking at that nursing accommodation, that it was hit in the back...

Ha ha, yes - been there, done that, just dont tell the Mrs.

By the way, dishwasher cleaning tablets in a cars cooling system cleans it all out very well - dont ask me how I know that though  :thumbup

I thought it was,if I'm not mistaken that would be my wife's car behind yours trying to hide behind the red brick building (green 2.0s Capri latter swapped for a red manta gte) yes it's a small world.as for your car being hit my motorbike ( z1000st which I still have) was also hit in the back while there smashed the rear lens and bent the mounting bracket was not happy.my wife's name was Judy brooks she probably knew your wife?.

Edited by hoobby
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hoobby said:

I thought it was,if I'm not mistaken that would be my wife's car behind yours trying to hide behind the red brick building (green 2.0s Capri latter swapped for a red manta gte) yes it's a small world.as for your car being hit my motorbike ( z1000st which I still have) was also hit in the back while there smashed the rear lens and bent the mounting bracket was not happy.my wife's name was Judy brooks she probably knew your wife?.

Unbelievable mate, what a coincidence!

My Wife doesn’t remember Judy (yet). Her name at the time was Donna Clayton.

Cheers for now.

Nothing too much to report tonight, I have only put a light coat of Satin Black on the rear panel.

I won’t put another on this evening as it’s going to cool down a lot later and be too cold for spraying really.

Some good progress this evening. After giving the rear panel another couple of coats of Satin Black over the last 24 hours, I set about putting everything back on.

We now have this:

And I could not resist trying a 'moody' photo :lol:

Naturally I still need to finish making up that OS bumper mounting bracket and painting them all Black - then the rear plate lamp and the bumper itself can go back on.

• Like 4

Just a small update this evening as I up early again tomorrow and I must get my beauty sleep  :rolleyes:

I refitted the rear number plate holder and connected the wires.

Then I went searching in the garage loft and dragged out this little beauty that was all covered in dust and 'stuff':

My final job this evening was to drill a couple of holes in my newly fabricated OS rear bumper mounting bracket, then give everything another generous coating of Black Hammerite.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get everything bolted back on the car - fingers crossed!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, IanMc said:

I refitted the rear number plate holder and connected the wires.

Me thinks that number plate needs a visit to your dishwasher! It's manky looking! 😊 Failing that, a good scrub with Jif should do the trick. 

• Like 1

Just now, Monaco Blue said:

Me thinks that number plate needs a visit to your dishwasher! It's manky looking! 😊 Failing that, a good scrub with Jif should do the trick. 

Good shout - consider it done!

• Like 1

Before I head off out to this evenings Archery session, I made up a new set of mounting pads for the rear bumper irons (to protect the paint of course). I made them from some 2 mm thick rubber sheet I bought from Ebay.

They should work a treat. Anyone ever tried to drill a clean hole through anything made from rubber?! - its just not possible...  :lol: