Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Before I head off out to this evenings Archery session, I made up a new set of mounting pads for the rear bumper irons (to protect the paint of course). I made them from some 2 mm thick rubber sheet I bought from Ebay.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

They should work a treat. Anyone ever tried to drill a clean hole through anything made from rubber?! - its just not possible...  :lol:

It's easier than you think. Get two pieces of wood and place the rubber inbetween them. Clamp the three pieces in a vice tightly and drill. I've used wood bits doing this and HSS bits.

• Like 1

Another early start today.

I have so far managed to get the rear bumper fitted (my new bracket fitted very nicely) and it seems to line up quite well, which is nice.

Then I gave the rear number plate a bit of a spruce up - I think that does look a bit prettier too.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

But I have a problem... When I got the car the rear bumper rubber strip was in the boot - now I know why, all the bolts are broken off!

I have some of the clips that go in the slots, but there is no way that they are good enough on their own. Has anyone come up with a fix for this problem before, or do I need to come up with one?

I will also post this in the Basic Technical Help section, so hopefully it will get a wider audience.

Have a nice weekend everyone  :thumbup

Edited by IanMc

18 hours ago, IanMc said:

Before I head off out to this evenings Archery session, I made up a new set of mounting pads for the rear bumper irons (to protect the paint of course). I made them from some 2 mm thick rubber sheet I bought from Ebay.

They should work a treat. Anyone ever tried to drill a clean hole through anything made from rubber?! - its just not possible...  :lol:

Easy if you have a punch!!!

• Like 1

My next job today was to clean up the rear screen and rubber prior to (hopefully) re-installation some time this weekend.

I used smooth peanut butter on the rubber seal, I read somewhere that it cleaned well and the oil(s) contained within helped keep the rubber supple. It seemed to work quite well. Time will tell I guess.

Lol, I just noticed the reflection of one of our cats in the glass. He was desperate to go out for a wee again the poor old lad. We took him in as a stray in 2007 and we were told he was 2-3 years old then, so he's doing pretty well I guess.

With regards the bumper rubber strip. If you cannot find any like I couldn’t when I needed some I made some from rectangular pieces of steel with a hole drilled in the middle to weld a threaded bit through.6mm I think or 5? Similar to the original square ones.rectangular with 2 corners rounded off so you can twist them into place .

hardest part is the very end ones .its hard to get them to stay in cos the rubber seems to start opening up there.

2 of mine are held with a black screw from the outside but it’s not ideal and spoils the look a bit. But if you recall from my car picture it’s not stupidly obvious.

9 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

With regards the bumper rubber strip. If you cannot find any like I couldn’t when I needed some I made some from rectangular pieces of steel with a hole drilled in the middle to weld a threaded bit through.6mm I think or 5? Similar to the original square ones.rectangular with 2 corners rounded off so you can twist them into place .

hardest part is the very end ones .its hard to get them to stay in cos the rubber seems to start opening up there.

2 of mine are held with a black screw from the outside but it’s not ideal and spoils the look a bit. But if you recall from my car picture it’s not stupidly obvious.

Hi Chris,

I hope that you are keeping well? Thanks as always for your helpful suggestions, I was starting to think about something similar myself, but was going to weld them together, rather than simply screwing them - I like your idea more than mine too lol

That is a job for another day after I have given it some more thought...

I am pleased to report a big step forward this afternoon - the rear screen is back in!

Remarkably, remembering the screen corner weld repairs I did, it fits really well too - nobody is more surprised than me!

Was it difficult - no not really, just fiddly and messy with the sealant. I will definitely be using less sealer on the front screen!  :thumbup  :lol:

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 1

Hi ian. Yes I’m fine thanks, just wish it was playing out weather here .its peeing down and very windy and I have to work on cars outside .garage is occupied !. 

The rubber inserts are always a bu**er to get back on especially if someone has pulled them off and bent the innards.

a combination of the original spring clips, new homemade studs and maybee some kind of adhesive too should see them back on.im sure you will work out something.

looking good anyway . ( I think cos I can’t see pics ! Lol ) but sounds like you are getting close . It’s all worth it in the end. 

• Like 1

Up with the Sparrows again this morning to crack on.

So far I have:

1) Cleaned all four wheels and tyres as they were filthy from all of the sanding etc

2) Cleaned both sides of the front screen.

3) Thoroughly cleaned the front screen rubber. I hadn't realised just how much old, dry sealer there was left in the channels of that thing. Cleaning all of that out, without damaging the rubber, just takes forever!

4) Got the front screen and rubber ready to refit later.

Fingers crossed I can get some assistance later to make this job a little easier. Just some firm pressure on the outside of the screen makes the world of difference.

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IanMc said:

Up with the Sparrows again this morning to crack on.

So far I have:

1) Cleaned all four wheels and tyres as they were filthy from all of the sanding etc

2) Cleaned both sides of the front screen.

3) Thoroughly cleaned the front screen rubber. I hadn't realised just how much old, dry sealer there was left in the channels of that thing. Cleaning all of that out, without damaging the rubber, just takes forever!

4) Got the front screen and rubber ready to refit later.

Fingers crossed I can get some assistance later to make this job a little easier. Just some firm pressure on the outside of the screen makes the world of difference.

Ian,

I have to say your persistence is an inspiration. I'm off into the garage now.

Can't wait to see it finished. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plumster said:

Best I can do for you is 4 of the bumper trim bolts, drop me your adrress & I will fire them over to you.

Sam, that is wonderful news and VERY generous - sincere thanks, your a Superstar!

Just now, plumster said:

No problem, P.M me your address.

All done matey!

And...... the front screen is also now in!

Unbelievably, the corners which I repaired all worked out nicely and the rubber seals well - sometimes you just get lucky I guess  :thumbup  :D

Hopefully I can get the wiper arms and blades back on later to finish this little chapter.

I'm very pleased with this weekends progress - onwards!!

14 minutes ago, Nivlek2525 said:

Ian,

I have to say your persistence is an inspiration. I'm off into the garage now.

Can't wait to see it finished. 

Ha ha, thanks Kelvin, much appreciated. Your car is also coming along nicely matey, stick at it.

I have to say though that the help, advice and loads of encouragement from the members of this wonderful owners club has really been an enormous help to me. I will be forever in their debt!

Believe it or not, there have been times where I doubted that this car could actually be saved, but our fellow members kept me driving forward when I really didn't fancy it too much.

• Like 2

Yo Ian, dont know if you have seen this an stradacab is sill a member, but could be worth a punt, i was looking through his thread and he did not use red seats, he used recaros. If you havnt tried recaro you should, it may change you mind. Have you considered dying the red original cloth with brush on dye. 

Jint.jpg&key=d88c4317f5f04fea3ecf5844c725f829dc5cfd319277e542996915e99fb0e39d

Will try and find a link to this project. 

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Yo Ian, dont know if you have seen this an stradacab is sill a member, but could be worth a punt, i was looking through his thread and he did not use red seats, he used recaros. If you havnt tried recaro you should, it may change you mind. Have you considered dying the red original cloth with brush on dye. 

Will try and find a link to this project. 

Hi mate, I did contact him, but sadly those seats are long gone...

Nothing too much done tonight I am afraid.

1) Painted both wiper arms again as I discovered that they had got some grey primer over spray on them from somewhere - oops!  :lol:  :rolleyes:

2) Ordered up one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classical-Retro-Style-Bluetooth-Car-Stereo-Head-Units-Car-Radio-USB-SD-Hot-Sale/173383738701?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

To be honest I feel a bit guilty about that as it seems a little bit like I am actually going to get to the end of this project some day soon.... Oh well, it was only £16 !

My plan at this stage is to add some small speakers in the footwell kick panels only.

The new 'cheapo' Bluetooth head unit arrived today. Being the excited child that I am I just had to rig it up to see what it sounded like.

I have to say that even with one well used 2002 Renault Clio speaker it sounded terrific! - I'm very impressed - £16!!!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

If you want to colour match your dash, dash pinnacle has two bulb holders, you can buy leds in blue. Lights up your gauges in blue. 

Now that’s an idea!

I got a few bits and pieces done this evening.

Firstly I had to sort out the passenger side kick panel, I think its fair to say that it was way past its best:

Knowing it was in a state, I trawled our warehouse this morning and found this bit of plastic sheet in a dark corner - even better it was Black!

A few minutes later with a jigsaw and pistol drill and we had this:

I'm now waiting on some speaker space rings, then I can go ahead and fit the new 'cheapo' head unit and speakers (fronts only).

Then I turned my attention to the rear bumper rubber strip. Sincere thanks once again to Sam for sending me these little beauties!

After removing the rusting remnants of the old fixings I brought the rubber strip indoors for a clean up. Ssshhh! - I actually did it in the bath using the shower head and a scourer, but please dont ever tell Mrs Mc!  :thumbup

Hopefully tomorrow evening I can get the rear bumper strip back on.

Have a nice evening folks!