IanMc

Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

Some more messing about this evening.

Firstly I refitted the wiper arms and blades, followed by the washer jets (connecting those up again to the hoses in the engine bay of course). Unfortunately Mr Clumsy broke one of the nut covers in the process of fitting them - Doh! Fortunately a bit of superglue seems to have it holding for now.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

After that I started to have a play with my front speaker spacer rings, they are definitely going to need some modifications to use with the speakers I have. They can wait fr another day...

Next I decided to try to improve the OS headlamp by fitting the Aluminium tape I bought a few weeks ago. As you will see from this photo, the chrome spray I had tried was already flaking and bubbling, so that was a resounding fail!

This is the tape as received:

And after the top and bottom curved surfaces had been covered - hopefully you can see the difference:

Stupidly I forgot to photograph the reflector after covering the whole thing with tape. I guess it was my excitement to get it all back together - another Doh! - sorry!

This was the light output and pattern before:

And after the tape was added:

I have managed to convince myself that it is now more intense, but what do you all think?

For some sort of comparison, here is the light output from the NS headlamp (which is in good condition).

• Like 3

Tonight is Archery night, but I managed to get a bit done before I go out.

The old radio has been removed and stored away for - well, probably nothing really.. :lol:  :rolleyes:

The new head unit is 95% fitted, it just needs the final shove back to lock it into the cage. I think it looks quite good.

I've got a really busy weekend ahead, but hopefully I might be able to get the speakers mounted too, if I can sneak a couple of hours.

Hi ho, hi ho, its off to the NEC we go. I'm really looking forward to an exciting, fun day - I'm just a big kid really.

I hope to meet some of you lovely people on the OMOC stand later.

I really enjoyed my day at the NEC today. It was nice to meet the guys on the club stand and have a bit of a natter.

The stand, the people and the cars were all fantastic - great job!

• Like 1

I treated the Cav and myself to a little pressie at the show today, an electronic ignition conversion kit.

As I still have the final tuning of the carb to do you, I thought that this would help make sure that the ignition was all good first. Of course it should also give easier starting, smoother running, better economy as well - or so they claim...

Got a 2.0 carb engine coming up, any idea on price of this? So coil stays, so this does away with condensor, and point only, still runs a rotar arm?

Great buy, let us know how you get on with fitting

3 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Got a 2.0 carb engine coming up, any idea on price of this? So coil stays, so this does away with condensor, and point only, still runs a rotar arm?

Great buy, let us know how you get on with fitting

Hi mate, hope your well.

It does away with the points set, condenser and the rotor. There are two or three people offering this type of kit these day, but they are all priced around the £35 mark. The one I bought today was £34.95

You can get them online for the same price delivered, but I was at the show and could have a chat with the guys to build my confidence etc.

• Thanks 1

Did a bit of work on the front speakers this afternoon after getting back from the Ideal Home exhibition in London.

Put the first coat of paint on the spacer rings:

The cut the hole for the back end of the speaker to go through in the NS kick panel:

Next I started on the rear bumper rubber strip. Thanks again to Sam who so generously provided the captive bolt 'thingys'. Basically they are crimped into a channel on the rear of the rubber strip, so there is obviously some kind of metal support under there somewhere. As you can see, I had one of my helpers with me - he's the old fella I have mentioned a couple of times recently. He's a lovely old boy, his name is Domino.

Hope fully tomorrow evening I can get this back on the car again.

My mate fitted one of the electronic ignition kits to his viva and all seems well.

never seen one that replaces the rotor ,just the condenser and points but that would be even better.less bits to ever wear out. 

Cant view pictures so don’t know what kit you got. Mine has the standard distributor , coil and module from a mk2 carlton 2 litre non injection fitted and seems ok but hard to find now .nearest would be 2 litre manta gte setup but possibly different advance curves although wether it would be noticeable or not I’m not sure .

2 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

never seen one that replaces the rotor ,just the condenser and points but that would be even better.less bits to ever wear out. 

My apologies, that was a typo - the rotor stays!

Sorry about that guys.

I have managed to get the rear bumper rubber strip refitted this evening. That sounds easy, but required the whole bumper to come off again to be able to get to the fixings...  :rolleyes:

Next I thought that I would try to fit the new electronic ignition conversion kit. All was going OK until the Black 'trigger' ring wouldn't go down far enough to allow the rotor to be engaged with the cut out on the dizzy drive shaft.

So I shall be sending an E-mail to the manufacturer asking for their help and advice.

Have a nice evening everyone.  :thumbup

Spent a bit of time this evening mocking up the OSF speaker in the footwell.

I managed to get the big hole drilled in the kick panel and the speaker screwed on. 

Then I managed to feed the speaker cable across from the head unit, running it over the existing loom/cables and then down the ‘A’ post.

I’ve still got to sort out the plastic bungs to fix it in place, but I can do that tomorrow.

Naturally I couldn’t resist trying everything out - it sounds terrific, very impressed!

I was so impressed, I forgot to take a photo :lol:

• Like 1

Its been one of those one step forward, two steps back kind of evenings today.

The step forward:

Got the (points replacement type) electronic ignition module installed and sparking. Then added a little conduit over the exposed Red and Black wires that go back to the coil

After setting the static timing I though "right lets the get the old girl running again".... Nope, no start. After some basic checks I found that no petrol was reaching the carb - even though the gauge is indicating just above the red zone. A cap of fuel down the carb confirmed this as she raced into life. Well at least the electronic ignition is working  :lol:

We are off on holiday tomorrow, so no more updates for a couple of weeks I am afraid.

Be back soon though!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

LM4JHsc.jpg&key=16379a59efee61cb7c9e529e9b951c1f10e8bb8e6190fbde81b28855bf0574a6

Tyre swings in the garden? 

You could pull the line on the carb, fuel pumps can be iffy. Bottle pipe and turn over. 

Search here for heater fan, someone somewhere modernised it, the 1950 electronics fixed to the back. Thinking about it most fans would be the same, if you could find a basic-ish electronic package, maybe faster would better. 

Edited by ®evo03

11 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Tyre swings in the garden? 

You could pull the line on the carb, fuel pumps can be iffy. Bottle pipe and turn over. 

Search here for heater fan, someone somewhere modernised it, the 1950 electronics fixed to the back. Thinking about it most fans would be the same, if you could find a basic-ish electronic package, maybe faster would better. 

Cheers evo, good advice as always.

I actually installed an in-line fuel filter (transparent) months ago and I can see that it is bone dry. Naturally, this means that fuel isn’t getting that far forward. It’s a bit weird really, as it was fine a few months ago.

Oh well, it shouldn’t be too tricky to sort out when I get back.

Cheers for now.

OK, so I'm back from holiday raring to get stuck into the Cav again.

While I was away I had plenty of time to reflect on things. I now realise/admit to the following:

1) I rushed the bodywork and some of it will need to be redone...

2) The paint work is nowhere near good enough in turns of it being flat. I will need to flat it out and do it again in the affected places = basically the entire length of both sides.

3) My rushing has caused me lots more work and put me back about a month.

4) Its always good to take a regular step back/sway and reflect on things.

5) People who have far more knowledge and experience than me are always right and should be listened to more often!

51 minutes ago, IanMc said:

OK, so I'm back from holiday raring to get stuck into the Cav again.

While I was away I had plenty of time to reflect on things. I now realise/admit to the following:

1) I rushed the bodywork and some of it will need to be redone...

2) The paint work is nowhere near good enough in turns of it being flat. I will need to flat it out and do it again in the affected places = basically the entire length of both sides.

3) My rushing has caused me lots more work and put me back about a month.

4) Its always good to take a regular step back/sway and reflect on things.

5) People who have far more knowledge and experience than me are always right and should be listened to more often!

For God's Ian.  Down like that.You have done a good job there, you took on what I would never attempted, and there are many more in this club who will agree with me, the percentages of experts in any profession is very low.  So you can give yourself a bloody good slap on the back and say " Didn't I do well!!" 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Julian, much appreciated. Overall you are probably correct, but I want to finish up with a car that I am genuinely proud of and not always looking at the plethora of imperfections that I know I can/should have taken the time to sort out.

I’m not so much down (although I am a bit I admit), but more frustrated with myself.

This morning I have stripped off all of the side trim again in preparation for the wet sanding. My Son has kindly ‘volunteered’ to help me with that tomorrow.

Thanks again for the encouragement, it’s people like yourself that have helped to keep me going on this project.

I think you have done a excellent job considering what you started with 

• Thanks 1

Hay Ian, you'v done a great job. You did something a lot of us don't dare: Beginning with it! 

Thanks to you I took after years the welding torch in my hands. Thought always this was out of my league...

So I spared myself a lot of money, am very satisfied and had some quality time with my son (We learned welding together, also on the Manta)

To you Ian: Thank you very much sir.

• Thanks 1

Wow, really?!

Thanks Herman.

I have decided to adopt a new approach/attitude to this project:

1) Whats the rush, I will have nothing much to do when its finished :lol:

2) Stop turning a blind eye to things that will probably come back to bite me in the backside later...

With all this in in mind, this afternoon I looked around the car with a hyper critical eye and started the remedial bodywork I want sorted out for my own sanity and satisfaction.

Firstly there is/was a small dent in the N/S roof (above the door, not far from the rain gutter), which I had obviously missed dozens of times before - Doh! So that was sanded back a bit in anticipation of the filler having something to grip to. Its difficult to see in the photo, but basically you are looking for the darker bit in the center of the dull sanded section - good luck seeing it! Its just to the right of the dead center of the photo.

Then I found some low spots at the bottom of the OSR quarter. Perhaps these were caused by shrinkage of the filler, not sure. Sanding back slightly and more filler added.

I found a low spot on the NS scuttle panel, where I had made a weld repair a few months back, so that will need a skim of filler to bring it level.

There was some minor imperfections along the lower edge of the OS rear valance - filler applied here after first sanding back.

Then the two biggest annoyances!

1) The front of the NSR quarter panel, just behind the door. The profile was all wrong and this was only obvious after the chrome sill trim/cover was fitted and there was a 6 mm gap behind it as it went from the door to the arch... I used the door profile to make up a template and this underlined what I already knew really. Moving the template along the datum line on the panel will allow me to look for low spots and bring them up and also to drag it over the filler (when more is applied) to give the rough shape.

2) The bottom of the NS rear valance. When I compared it to the other side it was at the wrong angle and sat a bit too high. It looked OK 'ish when standing looking at it, but as soon as you bent down it just looked lop sided. The top of the Blue tape shows approx where it needs to be to equal it up with the other side. I will probably just have to try to model this up out of filler - not ideal, but it has to look right. Its actually only about 5-6 mm different to the other side, but looks much more.

There, I've done it - admitted my errors and cleansed my soul

I do actually feel a bit better about the car now.  :rolleyes:  

Cheers all, have a nice evening.  :thumbup

Totally understand your point of view, dont worry your not alone. Example, there is a certain car doing the rounds in car shows for years, it has (won) at least 50 trophys etc, car of the show blah, blah, now i was explaining to one of my mates earlier in the day, all cars have flaws, look long and hard enough, they are there! Now, this concours car, i pointed out at least 10 defects in 2 mins. The owner asked what we where doing, I explained, he agreed, weirdly! Btw, it wasnt a opel. 

Whats my point, buy a unrestored rot box, plant it in your garden, grow plants in it, this is what a true car of this age should be! A rot box.When your are happy, get on with it, use it, get out and use it, then and only then it all makes sense. Ive just scored a 14yr mot pass, no failures! Happy motoring, ps. Dont worry about being bored, classics always need a little attention, fettling, cleaning, or you could offer your services maybe helping others out and getting a few quid for your next project.You could always buy body panels that need attention, tidy em up and sell them on, or offers shell welding services, not everyone has the skill.

You have even give me the confidence to tackle the paint on my next project, i dont care, if its wrong its wrong, try again, i will get it right sometime, its only prep and paint. Cant justify paying x amount to some monkey, 

• Thanks 1

Cheers evo, appreciated - you guys really are all keeping me going here!