Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

Hi Ian, maybe you need a bit more hardener as usual? But than you need to work faster when the hardener does his work... 

I remember when my car was at the body shop they gave me a heater to speed the drying of the filler. You are doing great, keep on doing that.

4 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi Ian, maybe you need a bit more hardener as usual? But than you need to work faster when the hardener does his work... 

I remember when my car was at the body shop they gave me a heater to speed the drying of the filler. You are doing great, keep on doing that.

Hi Herman,

The stopper filler is a fine filler that comes pre-mixed in a sealed tube (a bit like toothpaste  :lol:), so its not easy to do anything with it. I think that Jason is probably correct to be honest, I probably just didn't get rid of the sanding dust well enough.

Thanks for your encouragement - much appreciated  :thumbup

Definitely one small step backwards this evening.

After running a bare hand over what I thought was a good area of the rear roof, it felt low and certainly not the same profile as the areas to the left and right of it. You can see the area here marked with the Blue lines. If you look at the line of the rubber its actually fairly easy to identify.

Frustrating, but that's life. So I will add a little more filler here at the weekend and go again. I learnt my lesson last time, I'm certainly not going to ignore things like this this time!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

After that I made a start on the OSR quarter, door bottom and the sill. Here is the area after sanding, slapping on a load of filler and the roughest of shaping with a straight edge (following the profile of the door. A ton more work required here of course, but you have to start somewhere. The filler started to go off pretty quickly, so I ended up having to rush it    :rolleyes:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

30 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Definitely one small step backwards this evening.

After running a bare hand over what I thought was a good area of the rear roof, it felt low and certainly not the same profile as the areas to the left and right of it. You can see the area here marked with the Blue lines. If you look at the line of the rubber its actually fairly easy to identify.

Frustrating, but that's life. So I will add a little more filler here at the weekend and go again. I learnt my lesson last time, I'm certainly not going to ignore things like this this time!

After that I made a start on the OSR quarter, door bottom and the sill. Here is the area after sanding, slapping on a load of filler and the roughest of shaping with a straight edge (following the profile of the door. A ton more work required here of course, but you have to start somewhere. The filler started to go off pretty quickly, so I ended up having to rush it    :rolleyes:

Hi Ian, it’s a bit soul destroying. I’m in a similar position with my arches. I thought I’d totally sorted one, was really happy, even asked friends to take a look, we could find no problems..... then I saw it in a different light and...it’s far from perfect and with shiny paint will look pretty average. Iv couple more jobs to do then il have to come back to them. Then the roof to look forward too.... definitely been my least enjoyable part of resto . 

2 minutes ago, jamie077366 said:

Hi Ian, it’s a bit soul destroying. I’m in a similar position with my arches. I thought I’d totally sorted one, was really happy, even asked friends to take a look, we could find no problems..... then I saw it in a different light and...it’s far from perfect and with shiny paint will look pretty average. Iv couple more jobs to do then il have to come back to them. Then the roof to look forward too.... definitely been my least enjoyable part of resto . 

Keep smiling matey, it’s only a car at the end of the day.

Good luck!

A little bit of progress this morning on the OSR quarter.

After some basic shape sanding, another skim of filler was added to the obvious low spots. Once it has dried thoroughly I will probably have another go at this later.

I know its looks an absolute dogs dinner, buts its actually coming round quite quickly - well compared to the other side anyway  :lol:

Enjoy your weekend guys  :thumbup

Using a long sanding block that rubs across the door and the rear quarter at the same time is helping get the lines I want. By only having sand paper along 2/3 of its length, I can protect the parts of the door I want to leave.

This is where I am at the end of today:

• Like 1

So being an insomniac  :lol:  I decided to do another hour after everyone else went off to bed.

The front end of this area is now pretty good and sits quite well with the door lines. The 'bowed in' sill also is sorted out below the rear edge of the door bottom. All I have to do now is to bring the rear of the panel (just in front of the arch) in line and we will be good to go.

Its coming along slowly - I just have to keep telling myself it will be far better than before!

So after a pretty busy day doing other 'Dad stuff', I finally found an hour to do some more to the Cav.

The OSR quarter is coming along quite nicely now, it should only take another couple of evenings to have that wrapped up.

Have a nice evening everyone.

• Like 1

I just finished this evenings session feeling very pleased. The OSR quarter is pretty much finished - there is now only the stopper filler to sand down and we are done.

This is how it looks now:

I have just done a trial fit of the chrome sill cover and the wheel arch trim and they both fit way better than before  :thumbup

Enjoy your evening everyone.

• Like 1

Some more progress this evening,

1) The OSR quarter now only needs one small area with stopper filler sanding back and that is done. The stopper is the darker pink area.

2) I then went back to that rear area of the roof that was too 'flat'. I decided earlier in the week that I could use a permanent version of Jason's string idea to raise the screen rubber up and then fill up to and under it to allow me to then sand to the right profile. Here is a photo with a strip of rubber (identical the second/spare one in this photo) inserted and with the filler partly sanded. I might be able to get some more sanding of this area done tomorrow before I go off to Archery. I have marked the 'bad' area with Blue tape.

A tiny update this evening after returning from my ususal Friday night Archery session...

I decided to attend to something that has been annoying me for a long time - the 'sunken' fuel filler cap. I came up with a pretty simple fix in the end. I cut off a square from the same rubber sheet that I bought to use for the rear roof work and stuck that to the stop pad on the inside of the filler neck - job done! 

Before:

The rubber added:

After:

Sorry about the mountain of sanding dust covering everything, I meant to sweep all that away  :lol:

After the earlier distraction of the fuel issue (see the thread in the other section), I decided to refocus and carry on with the more immediate issue - sorting out the bodywork again.

The OSR quarter is now finished, except for a couple of coats of primer of course:

And then I moved back to the rear roof line. Some sanding was dine here and then a little more filler was added. This area is coming along quite well now. I should have this sorted by the end on the weekend.

Some good progress already today.

After messing around with the fuel side (see the thread in the Basic Technical Help section), we have a running car again.

Basically I refitted the old pump after blowing the fuel lines through and we are all good again and now now car starts easily and idles.

Here you can see the inlet and outlet stubs of the replacement pump. You can clearly see the deformation caused by the hose clips and I never over tighten those too much - had too many (fake) jubilee clips fail in the past for that. By the way, these were after I had see how soft they were and tried to make them rounder again with a small pair of long nose mole grips. If I had even used medium pressure with the grips, I could easily have closed those right up.

Anyway, as I say all sorted now, so back to the bodywork Pt. 2

The rear roof profile is now also very close to being completed, with just a tiny amount of stopper filler to sand back:

Its slowly coming around - again  :rolleyes:

With the roof all but finished, I am now turning my attention to the biggest 'bad' panel - the bonnet.

Basically it needs re-work everywhere that I worked on previously   :lol:  :rolleyes:  - yes, Mr Muppet strikes again...

As you can see from the photos attached there is plenty to keep me buy. I think the main reason for this is that at the time is was tackling this I was not using a long enough sanding block and using existing good parts as levels. Oh well, as always, you live and learn.

Another very boring, but necessary, hour spend sanding this evening.

I decided to split the bonnet into manageable sections to make it feel a bit less painful... This evening it was the area before the OS rain channel, gutter or whatever you call it  :lol:

I decided to use my flexible rule wrapped in sand paper again to try to follow the contours of the bonnet more closely than I must have done before.