Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

2 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi Ian, congratulations with the birthday of your son. End of this month our son has his birthday also, he will be 19 then. Time goes fast...

You are doing just great with the Cav, 

Grts, Herman

Our Son was 23, really can’t believe where all that time has gone!

4 hours ago, Iain said:

Probably teaching you to suck eggs

Iain    

Hi Iain, not at all mate - I am really grateful that you took the time to pass on this wisdom, much appreciated   👍

A useful day today with some decent progress:

1) Decided to get the old girl out in the Sun for a treat - and to make it more enjoyable to work on - and so I could hoover up some of the crud on the garage floor/carpet   :rolleyes:  Thankfully she started well after the recent fuel issues, but its clear that I still have a blow from the exhaust/manifold area that will need to be explored later.

2) For some time I have been troubled by the 'clunkyness' of the auto box and its seeming unwillingness to do much at all. This led me to run the car up to normal operating temperature then check the level. Absolutely nothing showed on the dipstick..  :unsure: - oops! I had about 1.5 litres of auto trans fluid on the shelf, so stuffed all of that in and we just about made the minimum mark on the dipstick. After my Wife had paid a trip to Halfords for me while out shopping to get some more ATM fluid, we now seem to have an auto box a bit more sympathetic to my instructions. I will reserve judgment on this though until the car is all tuned, linkages etc adjusted and see what we have... I have wondered for some time if this might have been the cause of the car being taken off of the road in the first place. Although the galloping rot was just as likely the cause of that.

3) While the engine was at temp, I decided it was an excellent opportunity to change the oil and filter that had been in the garage for the last year gathering dust. Pleasingly, the oil that came out was correct in quantity i.e. no water mixed or sitting on top of it - phew. So a Bosch filter and some good quality 20/50W later and she is good in that department if not in any other :lol:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

As you can see I have some work to do on the underside of the bonnet too, but that looks a lot worse than it is, so a job for another day...

4) Next job was to wet sand the whole body again after the application of primer coats 3, 4 and 4.5 (patches here and there). This is it after a hose down following the wet sandathon.

5) I decided I need to walk around it all again in the daylight, before sticking it back in the garage, to check for missed defects. I am very glad that I did, because I had missed two of these three previously. I had decided to leave the one near the side trim peg, on the basis that the trim would cover it. But as I have others to deal with now I will sort this as well. All of them are easily fixed with a tiny amount of stopper filler. As you will see the other two are little holes in the filler that need plugging before the top coat goes on.

Toy Story 4 tonight - looking forward to that (yes, I'm just a big kid really!).

Cheers all.

I sanded down those three minor imperfections this evening, then wet sanded the whole car again.

This was spurred on after walking around the car with an LED strip light and literally inspecting ever inch of primer/bodywork.

I found four more tiny things to correct (basically pin holes in filled areas), that were then addressed with stopper. So after sanding these down tomorrow evening, I should be able to start masking up again...

I didn’t bother to take any photos as the car doesn’t look any different until you get you nose on it!  Lol

• Like 2

With the wet sanding of the primer coat just make sure the car is bone dry before top coat, if we have a really hot day leave it outside to bake in the sun for a few hours or if not thoroughly run over the car with a heat gun before progressing, the last thing you want after all your work is microblisters under the paint a few months after finishing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Iain said:

With the wet sanding of the primer coat just make sure the car is bone dry before top coat, if we have a really hot day leave it outside to bake in the sun for a few hours or if not thoroughly run over the car with a heat gun before progressing, the last thing you want after all your work is microblisters under the paint a few months after finishing. 

Understood - thanks Iain   :thumbup

Just to add to Iains advice above, before masking go around the whole car, every joint, seal etc and blow out with an air line.

What i always do as well is blow the floor of the garage out after i've swepted it, make sure this is done the day before you paint, then wet it before you lay on the first coat (making sure not to splash any on the car)!

• Like 1

Evening all.

A bit of general pottering around this evening.

1) Did some 'spot priming' on some of the small areas that I have been tidying up of the last couple of days. Once that has dried fully I will wet sand it all level with the surrounding areas of course.

2) Then I bit the bullet and gave the front spoiler its first top coat...

Tonight I applied the second top coat to the front spoiler and the filler cap 'door'.

Then I gave the lower front valance its first coat.

I'm reasonably happy - so far...

• Like 5

Looking good Ian. All the lines look much sharper this time. I think it's going to look a different car when you are finished. Well done.

I love that front lip. Unfortunately mine is missing or never had one so I need to keep an eye out for one.

• Like 1

A little more painting this evening.

1) The lower front valance had its second coat.

2) The rear lower valance/panel got its first coat.

Have a nice evening everyone  :thumbup

No sitting around enjoying the sun for me, I've been sweating my wotsits off in the garage wearing White disposable overalls...  :lol:

As you know Friday is Archery night, so nothing was done yesterday, so I just had to bite the bullet and get stuck in today.

Now we have the first coat of paint added to the following areas:

- The upper front panel

- NS Wing

- NS Door

- NSR quarter

- Boot lid

- OS Wing

- OS Door

- OSR quarter

Oh yeah and the rear lower valnace had its second coat (which looks good by the way - sorry I forgot to photograph that!)

I now need to paint the bonnet and roof with the first coat - then go round again...

We all know that I am not a pro painter, but I think it will turn out reasonable for a home bodge job. In my opinion, it looks better than last time already, and its only had one coat.

Have a nice weekend everybody   :thumbup

• Like 3

Got a lot of family coming around later to enjoy a BBQ in this wonderful weather, so an early start was essential.

I now have the whole car wearing (at least) its first coat of top coat. This morning I painted the roof and the bonnet.

Plenty of work still left to do of course, but we are slowly making progress  :thumbup

• Like 3

Well this evening has been a bit of a flop.

My plan was to get the Cav all masked up, ready for the second coat of top coat. I made a start, then ran out of paper and masking tape - school boy error...  :rolleyes:  

Oh well, tomorrow it is then  :lol: