Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

13 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

You are using the same paint gun as me 

How have you set up the gun ,screw adjuster on the left ,the screw on the rear of the gun 

can not get my one quite right 

I have the previous settings written down somewhere mate, but to be honest I prefer to set it up every time.

Basically I use some large cardboard sheets and keep adjusting it until I am happy with the paint volume and spray pattern.

This evening I spent some time setting up my spray gun and spraying water at cardboard in the back garden.

I have always found this quite a useful way of getting used to the gun again and reminding myself what each of the adjusting points actually does. Of course, the paint will be thicker than water, but at least I now remember how to compensate for that without wasting any paint unnecessarily.

With any luck, I can get a couple more coats of top coat on at the weekend - fingers crossed.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IanMc said:

This evening I spent some time setting up my spray gun and spraying water at cardboard in the back garden.

I have always found this quite a useful way of getting used to the gun again and reminding myself what each of the adjusting points actually does. Of course, the paint will be thicker than water, but at least I now remember how to compensate for that without wasting any paint unnecessarily.

With any luck, I can get a couple more coats of top coat on at the weekend - fingers crossed.

Thanks lan that’s something l have thought of, good idea about the water 

5 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

Thanks lan that’s something l have thought of, good idea about the water 

Hi Wayne, the best bit is it costs nothing of course. Also, one the cardboard is dry, you can use it again. 

A fairly productive evening.

To make the job a little less 'stressy' I decided to just go over the 'middle' of the car first with the second top coat. This means the bonnet, roof, boot lid and lower rear panel. So to do this I crudely masked up the do the 'sides' of the car and mixed up some paint. After last nights water practice, the gun only need about a turn extra on the fluid adjuster to get enough paint through the nozzle to give me the pattern I thought I could easily control.

So here they are after the second (of three) top coats.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Sorry about the poor photo of the rear panel - I simply couldn't get around the well enough with the garage door closed to get it all in the photo.

Looking at the bonnet afterwards, I spotted a couple of 'dry lines' where I had obviously missed the wet edge. Lesson learnt there - I will need better lighting for that panel to make the wet edge more visible for the last coat.

Have a nice evening everyone.

• Like 2

Ian, is this still enamel you are using?  I think I will eventually go this route as my budget won't stretch to paying someone and having followed this I'm keen to give it a go myself.

Do you find it takes a long time to dry between coats? Does it need to be totally dry before a second coat?

How long before you can wet sand it? Assuming that's what it needs.

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Nivlek2525 said:

Ian, is this still enamel you are using?  I think I will eventually go this route as my budget won't stretch to paying someone and having followed this I'm keen to give it a go myself.

Do you find it takes a long time to dry between coats? Does it need to be totally dry before a second coat?

How long before you can wet sand it? Assuming that's what it needs.

Cheers.

Hi mate,

Yes, it is still coach enamel. I am on a limited budget and this paint is both cheap and easy to use - it can be sprayed, rolled or even brush applied.

It does take weeks to dry right through, but it is touch dry in a few hours and I leave it approx 18-24 hours before I go over it.

The one, big drawback is that you can’t wet sand and then buff it back to gloss - it will stay Matt no matter what, so you have to overcoat it to get gloss back. However, if you get it right, you are rewarded with a hard wearing, very glossy finish.

Good luck!

Ian

Thanks. I just assumed you would be able to polish it up but that makes sense as a lot of the videos I've watched on YouTube show people finishing it with some sort of clear coat. Do you mind me asking what you will use?

Cheers

Kelvin.

4 minutes ago, Nivlek2525 said:

I've watched on YouTube show people finishing it with some sort of clear coat. Do you mind me asking what you will use?

I have done two other cars with this paint before and never bothered putting anything over it - once dry, the gloss finish is very impressive - if you can get it right of course. 👍

• Like 1

Looking very good lan .l am using cellulose paint have dry lines but l have flattened the paint, the dry lines disappear, just got to polish it but will wait until l have finish the painting 

Got to get the reaction done as well

• Like 1

Up with the Sparrows again this morning. I wanted to get some paint on before it got to hot and to give the car a whole day to 'bake' in a nice warm garage.

So the 'middle' of the car (bonnet, roof, boot lid and lower rear panel) have their third and final top coat on.

I am left with mixed emotions to be honest as they came out generally really well, but there must have been a bit of 'crud'm in the gun somewhere that got fired out when painting the boot lid. You will see the offending article in the photos below. I did toy with the idea of trying to remove it while the paint was wet, but decided to dig it out after a couple of weeks and do a tiny stone chip type repair. Frustrating, but thats home paint jobs for you...  :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is what we have now.

I'm also now wondering if I have enough paint left (probably about a Litre) to get two coats on both sides done. Just in case, I have ordered another litre!

Have a lovely weekend everyone  :thumbup

Just completed the second (of three) top coat for both sides and the upper front panel.

Everything was going fairly well until disaster struck for the second time today. I was on the last corner (the NSF wing), when some sweat fell from my brow down onto the lovely fresh paint...  :lol:  

Oh well, I guess I will be rubbing that bit down again before the last coat then...  :rolleyes:

Never thought a drop of sweat could do that!  You are doing fine Ian. Now we know why those pretty nurses whipe of the sweat of those operating doctors in the ER, you will have to find on also to assist you😁.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Never thought a drop of sweat could do that!  You are doing fine Ian. Now we know why those pretty nurses whipe of the sweat of those operating doctors in the ER, you will have to find on also to assist you😁.

Lol, thanks Herman. As it happens, my Wife use to be a Nurse...

You would think that this would mean I get plenty of sympathy when I injure myself (which is fairly often lol), but you would be wrong. I literally have to have something hanging off or covered in blood to even get her attention these days!   👍

• Haha 1

This morning I have added the third and final top coat to the upper front panel and to both sides of the Cav.

Everything was going really well, the finish on the front panel looked good:

And everything on the OS looked quite nice too:

So full of optimism I turned the corner and started on the NSR quarter - all OK here too:

With just two panels to go (the NS door and NSF wing) I decided it would be a good idea to check the paint level in the gun cup. Good decision, it was nearly empty!

So back to work bench to drag the last dribbles out of a 5 Litre tin - that probably gave me about 75 ml, then with thinners, just over 80 ml. I only had one (used) paint mixing cup left and it was very difficult to read the graduations on the side as I hadn't cleaned it out from the first batch of paint...  In truth I must have added too much thinners as I have got runs on both of the last two panel with the gun on the same settings as the rest of the car.

To say that I am sitting here gutted at the moment, would be a massive understatement. So I will now have to probably wait 1-2 weeks for that paint to dry through enough to sand it back, then respray - again!  Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!

Oh well, I didn't really want to finish it anyway....     :lol:  :unsure:

I know how you feel lan 

Check sticky this morning Very happy with the finish of the paint 

Open the garage door and found that it is the wrong colour 

Its a creamy white not a bright white 

l am not removing the sun roof again as it sealed in well 

Wrong do it again 

On the plus side it will be a lot easier this time round 

Me and the Mrs went for a walk this afternoon to get some R&R, which has given me some time to reflect on things.

I have decided that I am going to put the car back together and then just do ‘spot repainting’ when the new tin of paint arrives.

The affected areas are all easily accessible to both mask and paint, so sod it, that’s what I am going to do.

Otherwise I will still be sitting here in another month...

After the two or three kicks in the nuts I've had over the weekend with this car, I was seriously considering throwing in the towel. The paint runs yesterday and the general finish of the bonnet across it in reflection) had left me down on my chin strap and cursing myself.

Having slept on it, I have decided to take the positives instead. Things I have achieved since I started:

- the rust is gone and replaced with new metal

- the car starts, runs and stops

- the body lines/shapes that I was let down by last time are done now

- the paint is generally quite good now and the runs and bonnet 'marks' can be sorted out as I go/later

So I am going to get up, dust myself off and get back on that damn horse.

I owe it to myself, not to give up now - onwards!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

So I am going to get up, dust myself off and get back on that damn horse.

I owe it to myself, not to give up now - onwards!

Absolutely the right attitude! A pity about the paint runs etc. but as you say, can be sorted as & when.

• Thanks 1

Hi Ian I think the problem with spraying  your putting too much paint down in one go best to do very light dusts this is  probably due to lack of room maybe next time move the car over as far as you can to one  this will allow more time for the paint to spread in the air and give you the room to get clean sweeps.that all said the car still looks stunning and deserves and bit of road time and so do you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hoobby said:

Hi Ian I think the problem with spraying  your putting too much paint down in one go best to do very light dusts this is  probably due to lack of room maybe next time move the car over as far as you can to one  this will allow more time for the paint to spread in the air and give you the room to get clean sweeps.that all said the car still looks stunning and deserves and bit of road time and so do you.

I think you are probably right mate (on everything) - many thanks!

Dont give up now Ian, I know were your coming from, if you don't want to cut back and polish its a very fine line between dry lines/orange peel and runs, laying paint on so that it naturally flats is an art that I didn't achieve on a complete panel ever !! lol

You mention that you cannot wet sand and polish coach enamel, are you sure ?, I,ve seen a car painted with a roller and brush ( there are also a few online ) the guy sanded, cut and polished and it looked as good as any body shop, if not better due to the depth of the paint and shine, I'm sure he said it was coach enamel, def wasn't cellulose !

Keep up the good work, you've come so far on a project that most would not even attempt, keep going it will be fine.

• Thanks 1