Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

Tonight's tinkering / snagging...

In an attempt to rectify my slightly sticky throttle cable on the cheap, I will leave this for a day or two:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

According to Mr Haynes, the cable cannot be lubricated and must therefore be replaced. With all due respect to Mr Haynes - step into my garage Sir.

Oh yeah and I replaced the NS brake light bulb, as I noticed that wasn't working as it went up on the ramp this morning.

Back on the snagging list tonight...

I decided to try to establish why the speedo wasn't working. So up in the air and start with the easy end first - the gearbox end.

Its probably fair to say that I think I have found the fault. After turning off the knurled retaining cap and stared inside, this is what I found:

Errr, isnt there supposed to be a square drive in there that plugs into this bit:

Oops!  :lol:

Unbelievably I found a new one to suit a 2.0 auto on Ebay for only £10, so I hoovered that up as quickly as my little fingers could click that mousey thing!!

Tomorrow I will probably tackle the dash end in readiness for the new cables arrival in a couple of days.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Well...firstly a massive well done to you on what you have achieved on this car so far the results speak for themselves - if mine was half as good as this I would be over the moon!

I only joined yesterday and have spent this afternoon reading this while I recover from surgery on my back so cracking way to pass the time and give me some enthusiasm to get back on mine

Love your perseverance and commitment where most, me included more than likely :P would have thrown in the towel! 

This evenings entertainment was to extract the speedo cable from the back of the instrument binnacle and of course down to the gearbox.

It actually wasnt too difficult or time consuming...

The usual faff moving the instruments forward:

After a couple of minutes underneath, we had this on the floor:

After that I pulled out the inner drive cable and this is what I found (the white end is the dash end of course:

Most definitely FUBAR'd   :lol:

Fingers crossed, the replacement will be here soon.

28 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

Ian, would you be interested in these chrome wheel trims? Carl Morris is selling them over on Ebay. 

Hi mate,

Many thanks for the heads up, much appreciated.

Ooh, they do look nice I must admit.

I will take a look on EBay!

ps the new speedo cable arrived today - I’m not convinced it’s going to fit though...

I won’t be looking at it until tomorrow as I left home at 06:00 and didn’t get home until 21:30, so I’m totally knackered to be honest lol

9 hours ago, Monaco Blue said:

Ian, would you be interested in these chrome wheel trims? Carl Morris is selling them over on Ebay. 

Maybe its because I am having 'a man look' as my Wife wopuld say, but I dont seem to be able to find these on Ebay - perhaps they have already been sold?

ps I unpacked the new speedo cable this morning and compare it to the old one. The new one is approx half the length, so that will have to go back...

This afternoon, the Seller of the speedo cable for my Cav auto told me what I already knew - it wouldn't fit... Great, so I'm back square one on that for a day or two while I look around and consider my options.

Rather than sort out the speedo and dash etc, I chose to put some paint inside the boot space and the underside of the boot lid. There is still a long way to go, but its already looking a bit brighter/fresher in there.

I actually plan to carpet the whole thing during the Autumn/Winter, but this should keep me going until then anyway.

At least one more coat required and then we will see what we have.

Have a nice evening everyone.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2019 at 20:13, IanMc said:

As a Winter project, I'm thinking about stripping my seats down and making my own covers. I mean how hard can it be?!

The way I see it is all I would have to do is:

- pick the seams apart

- end up with some templates of old seat material

- trace round the templates

- buy and old sewing machine and teach myself how to use it

- stitch the new material together

- sell the sewing machine again.

With all of this in mind, I have collected some material swatches from on-line sellers over the last few weeks. This is them - what do you think?

My personal favourite is the ribbed one, second row (from the bottom) at the front edge of the seat. Of course, to keep it as standard looking as possible, I need to find a matching plain material - unless I do the whole lot ribbed?!

hi i used some red dylon on my seats the red came up great they where really fadded until i used the dylon.

you could just try it as a quick cheap fix for now if the fabric is in ok condition

• Like 1

1 hour ago, droop snoot hp firenza said:

hi i used some red dylon on my seats the red came up great they where really fadded until i used the dylon.

you could just try it as a quick cheap fix for now if the fabric is in ok condition

Thanks mate, really appreciate the idea.

Unfortunately the seat material itself is really very dry and fragile and takes next to no effort to make a hole anywhere...

I think that the time has come to bite the bullet.

Thanks Martin I will give those some thought. Until I get an MOT done though, I don’t really know where I am with mine.

I bought a lovely set of chrome trim rings from Carl yesterday though lol 

On the downside, our old cat Domino has an emergency visit to the Vets at 11:00 this morning - one of his eyes has gone Black over 24 hours. The old fella is approx 17 now (nobody knows exactly, as we took him in as an abandoned stray...) and we are all desperately worried about him.

All car work is postponed until we get some news on him.

Just praying it’s something treatable, we can’t bear the thought of anything else...

17 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Thanks Martin I will give those some thought.

I certainly would given that they are not so easily come by now in good condition, and a matching pair.

Nice one re the wheel trims!

That's certainly worrying news about your cat. Hope you get good news after the visit to the vet.

• Thanks 1

Small update on Domino - he has had a bleed into his eye caused by high blood pressure. 

The reasons for this are being investigated - blood test, eye drops and blood pressure check so far.

Waiting for the blood test results now, should hear later this afternoon...

ps his eye is actually slowly clearing ie the blood is draining away. Bless him, he’s such a top cat - easily the soppiest, strongest and most intelligent cat we have ever had.

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 2

We had are kipper the cat for 17 years.When she died we where gutted.

Every time we went the vet she would have shit or throw up in the cat box on the way back home.

Hope  Domino Is ok and has many more years

Edited by 1200bandit
  • Thanks 1

Hope Domino is ok, I know how attached you can get ........we had a stray 'Pudsey' a tortoise shell who turned up one day while I was working from home, She meowed outside for a good hour before I finally let her in then realised She must have been from the old dear over the road that had passed, once she got used to our youngest she was fine and became one of the family.

She was an old girl herself and stayed with us until recently, I actually now miss her casually walking over my laptop keyboard when I was trying to work (as it was getting the attention and not her!)

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, it has been a pretty tricky and emotional day as you can image.

The latest news on Domi is that it is confirmed that he has very high blood pressure, but the underlying cause, if there is one, is as yet unknown...

The good news is that:

1) His blood test was all clear, but the Vets still want to send off his second sample (at their cost!) to their independent lab for double checking.

2) He starts on his blood pressure medication tomorow.

Unfortunately the bad news is that his eye has filled with blood again, so there is still something going on inside - lets just hope that the meds get him sorted for now.

Here is the man himself with his 'bad eye'. He's always had a weepy eye on that side, but the Vets says that's quite common in cats, so not a sign of anything seriously underlying:

He really has been my wing man throughout this project and I really couldn't bear the thought of his not seeing it through to the end with me. He just sits staring at what I'm doing, or more normally sleeping in a corner while I potter about in the garage, then he follows me indoors when its time to call it a day. He's a fighter, so come on boy, once more please.

Anyway....

Despite what I said earlier, I did get some work done on the Cav today. I decided to make a start on the 'under bonnet project'. I started on the NS inner wing.

How we started:

Probably somewhere in the middle of prepping:

Unfortunately I just couldn't shift the brake bias valve (the screw heads started to get mullered), so decided to try to work around it - not perfect, but neither is the rest of the car  :lol:

And after the first coat of paint:

I decided to use a combination of brush and roller with my coach enamel paint as it, well simply a time consuming distraction from everything else that has gone on today to be honest.

Cheers all, have a nice weekend  :thumbup

• Like 1

Domino update: we picked up his medication for the high blood pressure a short time ago. Like a lot of animals, he is difficult to give meds to... however, his appetite/greed is til as strong as ever, so when I hid the half a tablet that he has to have inside one of these, it didn't hand around for long... :lol:  :thumbup

This morning I made a start on the OS inner wing area. This is how it was at the start with some of the stuff cleared out of the way:

And as we started to prep towards paint:

I hope that the rust treatment will dry pretty quickly in this heat, then perhaps I can get some paint on later. My plan is to get one coat on each side, then add the second coat at the same time. I think two coats will be sufficient for this area.

• Like 1