Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

Has your bonnet skin separated from the frame.my last manta had separate and made a lot of noise 

On my last manta l used windscreen bound , Worked really well

Doubtful if you can get windscreen bound.

you can try hard as nails if your bonnet has separate 

5 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

Has your bonnet skin separated from the frame.my last manta had separate and made a lot of noise 

It has in a couple of places Wayne. I probably won’t do anything about it though to be honest.

So... 20 minutes with an airline chasing flakes of rust and blobs of dried up/fallen off adhesive around the cavities and we have this  :lol:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Of course, that's probably only half of it as the other half disappeared off into the grass I guess.

Then it started to spit with rain so I had to carry it on my own into the garage and stand it up against the front of the car.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

We can start painting tomorrow evening  :thumbup

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Monaco Blue said:

Good stuff Ian! Can't help think it would have been better/less hassle to have done the underside before painting the topside? 

Yep, absolutely - the trouble is I am inherently stupid and didn’t think of that :lol:

• Like 1

I'm afraid there wont be much happening on the car this evening, I have a ring main problem on the downstairs sockets to try to narrow down.

Anyway.... before I get stuck into the 'Dad stuff', I managed to do a tiny little bit more prep on the underside of the bonnet, then gave it a quick lick of primer for protection:

You can all marvel at the wonderful piece of improvised engineering that is stopping the bonnet overbalancing and falling on the floor  :lol:

• Like 3

The second top coat is now on. Its an early start for me in the morning, so that's enough for this evening. With a long day ahead, there is a good chance that I will be too knackered to do anything tomorrow evening, so apologies in advance for slacking off again  :lol:

56 minutes ago, Iain said:

Looking good Ian, puts mine to shame !  Can I ask why you masked the front rubber adjusters instead of just removing them ?

Hi mate,

Basically because they are very fragile and starting to disintegrate a little at the connection point. My fear was that they might just crumble away if I tried to remove them.

On 12/08/2019 at 18:35, IanMc said:

I'm afraid there wont be much happening on the car this evening, I have a ring main problem on the downstairs sockets to try to narrow down.

Anyway.... before I get stuck into the 'Dad stuff', I managed to do a tiny little bit more prep on the underside of the bonnet, then gave it a quick lick of primer for protection:

You can all marvel at the wonderful piece of improvised engineering that is stopping the bonnet overbalancing and falling on the floor  :lol:

Probably something to do with all those sockets you have plugged in at the back there 🙂

5 hours ago, 611 said:

Probably something to do with all those sockets you have plugged in at the back there 🙂

Ha ha, yes indeed.

The garage is actually on its own circuit, but a very good shout Sir!

6 hours ago, Iain said:

Check out East Kent Trim Supplies, £2.88 a pair + packing  https://www.eastkenttrimsupplies.com/manta-c102x2772652 

Wonderful - thank you very much indeed.

They are most definitely going on the shopping list!

Glad to help, £6.00 postage is a bit OTT for a £2.88 sale lol

The front and rear windscreen insert trim is good and the outer door glass window seal strips although not OEM are close enough and work well. The Bonnet seal also finishes off the scuttle nicely, it fits along the edge where the bonnet meets the scuttle, not fitted to the car as standard but looks good !

He also supplies roof linings for Coupe and Hatch, the material is pretty much spot on, he sent me samples but I cant see them listed !

If your ordering a few bits and bobs the £6.00 isn't so bad

• Like 1