Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

2 hours ago, IanMc said:

I will be in the market for a new headliner when I move on to the next phase of this project - some time in the Autumn or Winter.

Front. Rear and Side windows will need to be removed again Ian ☹️

This evening I refitted the bonnet after it’s fresh coats of paint during the week.

I even managed to persuade Mrs Mc to assist with this task - no small achievement I can assure you!   :lol:

• Like 2

This morning it was the turn of the automatic gearbox to get some love.

Still very happy that the thing actually changes up and down and allows kick downs, it is only fair that it gets some fresh trasns fluid and the brake band adjusted.

First things first, lets drain the fluid. The last person in here decided it was a good idea to use some kind of plastic washer on the drain plug - that probably explains the leak and fluid over everything then...

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

A new set of Copper washers is on order - these will also be useful to use on the radiator banjo connections, when that little problem gets sorted.

The good news is the fluid was actually a pretty good colour and certainly not a nasty burnt Black colour - encouraging. Also encouraging was the nice clean sump, nothing nasty sitting in there that I could see.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

We are off out shortly, but I hope to adjust the brake band later, then I will be looking to source a new filter and gasket for this auto box. I have seen a few kits on Ebay, but question: Am I right in assuming the 1.9 auto box, would be exactly the same as for the 2.0? - meaning that the filter and gasket would be identical.

A general shot with the pan removed - nice and clean  :thumbup

• Like 1

After consulting Mr Haynes, it transpires that I need a 3/16" Allen/hex socket to adjust the brake band on my auto box. Guess which size of Allen bit I dont have to connect to my torque wrench - yes correct!  :lol:

After trudging around the shops with Mrs Mc this afternoon subtlety looking for said socket (no joy at all - one shop even said "what's an Imperial size"  :rolleyes:), I returned home empty handed. Being the impatient soul that I am, I hatched a plan to make one instead. It doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to be able to deliver a massive 3.3 ftlb of torque...

After a bit of rummaging I came across an old set of Imperial Allen keys and lopped a bit of the end of the long leg with my angle grinder:

Then I found a sacrificial 5 mm socket (3/16" = 4.76 mm, so only a quarter of a mm difference in size) and we had the makings of a solution:

A few seconds in the vice an we had a nice fitting hexagon that should easily take that torque:

Now all I have to do is actually get on with the job  :lol:  :thumbup

• Like 2

Dear All,

I am off work now for the rest of the week - yippee!

On the basis that I need to chill out and enjoy life for a few days, it is unlikely that very much will be done on the Cav for the next week or so. I certainly wont be doing something every day, like I generally try to.

Cheers for now.  :thumbup

We are off out soon, with an overnight stop planned - but I had a few minutes to kill, so decided to investigate the brake band adjustment point on the Cav's auto box.

This is the cover that protects the adjustment point. As you can see its held in place by 4 x 13 mm bolts. You will also note that it comes out full of trans fluid - you have been warned  :lol:  Fortunately, I expected this so didn't dribble it all down my arm...

After draining the fluid, I expected there to be some accumulated 'gunge' in there - but no. So after a quick clean up with the old Blue roll, we now have this ready to go back on in a day or two:

Here is what you see with the cover removed, the adjustment point is in the center of course:

Time to see if the tool that I had cobbled together fits - it did:

Then after consulting Mr Haynes, I realised that none of my torque wrenches went down low enough for the band adjustment screw - Doh!

Luckily, there is one at work that will do the job, so no need to buy some more tools - well thinking about it, maybe... :lol:  :thumbup

To be continued later in the week.

Oh yes, one more thing - I pulled out the speedo drive unit. As others have experienced, there was a weeping of trans fluid past the front lip seal into the (new) cable, so new seals are now on order.

Many thanks to Herman for the tip on where these parts were available  :thumbup

5 hours ago, IanMc said:

Oh yes, one more thing - I pulled out the speedo drive unit. As others have experienced, there was a weeping of trans fluid past the front lip seal into the (new) cable, so new seals are now on order.

Many thanks to Herman for the tip on where these parts were available  :thumbup

Where do you get them from Ian, as you know I can't see any photos anymore, they are for MEMBERS only.

38 minutes ago, JULIAN BEST said:

Where do you get them from Ian, as you know I can't see any photos anymore, they are for MEMBERS only.

Hi Julian,

If you go to your Auto Gearbox thread, you will see a German supplier that Herman suggested - I used them.

19 hours ago, JULIAN BEST said:

Ordered them last night Ian, with the high postage!!  I;m leaving this club, not going to be treated like this after nearly twelve years. at 85 years old, I can do without this hassle. I'll just keep in touch with you an Herman.

Julian.  

53 minutes ago, JULIAN BEST said:

Ordered them last night Ian, with the high postage!!  I;m leaving this club, not going to be treated like this after nearly twelve years. at 85 years old, I can do without this hassle. I'll just keep in touch with you an Herman.

Julian.  

That seems rather Brash, what is the issue, high postage?

A few days away on a short break has given me some time to think things over, particularly with regards to the radiator (leak).

I decided this morning to investigate a bit deeper and see if I could find that tiny leak. My plan was to use two of these rubber bungs:

I think I had them from many moons ago as part of a wine making kit or something - demijohn bungs?

So I stuffed those in top and bottom and filled the rad up with water - then waited...

After about 5-10 minutes I spotted this damp patch appearing on the core. To get a better look I removed all of the cooling fins in that area - most of them were shot to bits anyway to be honest. Lets call it weight saving  :rolleyes:

And there seemed to be what I convinced myself a tiny hole about in line on one side of the 'flat' just about in line the point of my finger nail is. By the way, at this point I had moved the rad onto its side - in case anyone says "but water doesn't run uphill"  :lol:

So off I went to find some weapons:

A few minutes later and we have this:

I appreciate that the some of cooling fins are knackered, but hey, if it holds water, I cant see that being a massive problem...

So now I am off outside again to refit the rubber bungs and see if it has sealed.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2019 at 09:39, Jessopia74 said:

That seems rather Brash, what is the issue, high postage?

No No Jess, I chose the high postage so that I would get it quicker, in fact it is due today. Leaving the club is over the way I am getting treated after 12 years, I will try again to get that sorted though, this club is far to handy to just throw away.

• Like 1

OK so far so good. Its been full of water now for about and hour and holding its level, with no signs of a leak - so far...

I will give it another hour or two and then if its still OK get it back in the car. This will then allow me to:

- reconnect the coolant hoses.

- reconnect the auto gearbox pipes to the base.

- adjust the new torque band on the auto box

- fit the new auto box fluid filter

- fit the new auto box pan gasket

- get the auto box pan back on

- put new trans fluid in the auto box

The only small fly in the ointment is that the new speedo drive 'O' rings haven't arrive yet, but hey I can live without those for another day or so.

I then also want to check the rear axle oil level.

I doubt most of this will get done today though - family stuff will get in the way. There is always tomorrow though of course!

No drain plug.only way to do that is engine or box out and physically drain it. Or just do a couple of fluid changes extra after running engine Up to temp .if fluid was black or dark brown its a good idea.if old fluid was still red / orange then probably not necessary

• Thanks 1