Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

Tonight I decided to tackle the sticky, grubby seatbelts - mainly because those were the only things that really annoyed me tonight...

I decided to take the advice of some other members, far more knowledgeable than me and try the 'bucket and fabric conditioner idea' - what could possibly go wrong?!   :lol:

Firstly a few photos of what I started with, although these really help too much, especially with the sticking lol  Anyway...

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Firstly I needed to strip off all of the stops, anchors and retainers etc, so I had much better access to as much of the belt as possible - the photos tell the story really, but everything comes apart in a predictable way:

Naturally at this point all you need to do is to slip the belt through the split and you are good to go:

Next it was out with the buckets of warm water containing two capfuls of Mrs Mc's favourite fabric conditioner and a scrubbing 'thing'. Why two capfuls? - I have absolutely no idea, but one didn't feel enough for such big buckets  :lol:

So with the belt fully extended and retained by more of Mrs Mc's laundry 'stuff', it was time to submerse the belts and get scrubbing...

I decided to leave the belts in there until the morning, well just because it felt the right thing to do really - no science...

The Drivers Side belt was way worse the the Passengers in terms of operation and generally roughness and sticking - perhaps this was part of the reason - the chrome guide was all corroded and just nasty really.

Unfortunately it didn't seem possible to remove that, so I had to make do with some careful filing and a good going over with some 120 grit sand paper. It might not look pretty, but its way smoother now.

So the Drivers side belt was submersed, scrubbed and left in its bath for the night too.

Here's something you wont see very often:

Of course I will let you all know how they turn out. Lets be honest though, they cant be any worse - can they?

I hope that all this might help someone else at some stage in the future as well.

Cheers all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some progress with both front seat belts this morning:

After taking them out of their respective baths, I ran both lengths of webbing through a towel and plenty more muck cam away. 

After that the top and bottom mounts were assembled:

Then it was time to check the operation:

Both sides are almost identical and the reel easily takes the whole extended length back inside behind the door card VERY quickly. I didn't even need to lubricate the belt roller mechanism, I simply operated it with the belt about 20-30 times a side and you could feel it loosening off.

I decided to leave both belts extended to dry fully, rather than fester behind the door card - this is how I left it:

Sadly, there is a down side though... Mr Clumsy strikes again and I broke the NS 'arm' mas I got out of the car. Unfortunately an attempt to glue it together again failed - anyone have a spare please?

(I will put a post in the 'Wanted' section too by the way).

Got a couple of piddly arse, but annoying things sorted out this evening.

1) I swapped over my new 'fan' washers jets as the Drivers side one was too low and there was no adjustment left. I think I must have had them the other way around originally, then fitted them to the wrong side after the underside of the bonnet was painted. Still not sure how one has no adjustment left mind you - that's Ebay stuff for you I guess...

2) Fitted a new exhaust tailpipe Stainless trim piece. The last one I managed to get covered in weld spatter as I couldn't be bothered to move it. Anyway the new one is the same and brightens the end of the pipe up a bit I think. More Chavtastic stuff from Ebay! At £3.69 delivered from China, whats not to like?!

Have a nice evening everyone.

8 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

That’s looking nice are you going to wax it stop it from rusting, can see not not going rusty 

If I can be bothered... to be honest at £3.69 you could probably afford to change it every 6 months  :thumbup

Not sure I want to waste my expensive wax on that thing  :lol:

43 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Fitted a new exhaust tailpipe Stainless trim piece. The last one I managed to get covered in weld spatter as I couldn't be bothered to move it. Anyway the new one is the same and brightens the end of the pipe up a bit I think. More Chavtastic stuff from Ebay! At £3.69 delivered from China, whats not to like?!

That's very smart! More so for £3.69! Would look equally nice on a GTE if it were painted semi-matt black. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1200bandit said:

Off topic again ,how is Domi doing did the meds work 

Oh yes, good question Wayne!

Apologies, I forgot to update you all on the big lad.

He had another Vets appointment last Thursday and his eye has now completely cleared of blood, his vision is good and his medication has brought his blood pressure down to normal.

So basically his is doing great now. We are so pleased as we really feared the worst at one point..,

• Like 3

Just a small update tonight as I have an early start in the morning and a heavy couple of days at an exhibition at the Millbrook Test Facility.

So tonight was all about checking and readjusting the front wheel bearings.

I think it was Snowy that reminded me that they would need checking after a few miles (500 from memory). Well I have done nowhere near that mileage, not even a tenth of it, but they still needed adjustment (to the correct torque setting). I probably got about 1.0 - 1.5 additional turns out of each side whilst rotating the wheel as specified.

It will be interesting to see if I can feel the difference on the road.

Hi Got the mirror today (it must be the best package mirror ever)

cleaned up very well got home and found that l all ready had a o/ s door mirror, l am a silly man 

So l need a n/s door mirror 

the cav and the manta window guides are different 

I have decided to change the engine oil and filter again this weekend.

The car has done about 30 odd miles now and get up to temperature 3 or 4 times. My thinking is that during these runs some of the old deposits and sediment will have been disturbed and I want to get those out .

To make this as effective as possible, I am going to add some STP engine flush prior to a nice run.

I'm hoping that this also might have some effect on my oil pressure gauge that is still misbehaving. Perhaps the sender/sensor is gummed up with old, 20 year old deposits?

We shall see.  :thumbup

Got this Manta in 1990 .oil pressure was a bit low replaced the engine oil and filter every month for a year had excellent oil pressure after a year,

Then oil filter every 3 months ,had this Manta for 8 years

,Was looking for a Manta for 6 months befor l got this one

.Had to sell to buy the house l am still in (23 years)

Still know the reg D611 TDM 

• Like 2

Well this morning I seem to be having another one of (increasingly common) dumb days.

After receiving the NS seat belt arm from Exclusive Opel (sincere thanks once again!), I thought that I would quickly fir that up this morning...

All was going well until I tried to snap on the top finishing cap. Basically I just cant get both little 'tangs' to snap around the outside edges of the metal guide. One, yep no problem, but never both.

I suspected that I may have something in the wrong order, thereby removing the space I needed for the tangs, but I cant seem to see that I have anything wrong - so please help this old man  :lol:

Here are a few photos to show what I have currently and the cap with the tangs. You can see one of the two tangs right next to my finger in the third photo. Oh by the way, I hadn't fitted the other side previously and that is the same - so I cant even refer to that - Doh!

Thanks guys.