Jump to content
IanMc

Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

Recommended Posts

Both belts are now completely sorted, thanks again to Mike for his help with the 'caps' - see here: 

 

The first one (Passenger side) went straight on, but the Drivers side took about ten attempts. Once you know the 'knack' its actually OK, probably an unnecessary faff, but OK   :lol:

I'm very happy with how the belts have turned out - both are now very clean and recoil fully without any 'persuasion'.

Onward!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant to hear, since mine are out I have put this cleaning task on the job board as it’s well worth doing with your bucket method👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Early start today as its lovely and Sunny here.

After moving the rest of the fleet around (which is quite a task in itself these days!), I had created the space to get the Cav out of the garage. The idea being to take it for a run to get it warm, add the STP engine flush when I was at the half way point, the poodle back at about 2 - 2.5K revs. The STP instructions say dont use it in the engine when you run the car, but to just have it warm and add it for 15 minutes of fast idle. My thinking was that the route I took only has 30 and 40 mph speed limits and with my auto that is 2000 to 2500 revs max - which to my tiny mind is about the same as fast idle. Anyway, whats the worst that could happen?!   :lol:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

Interesting, the oil pressure gauge was showing signs of coming back to life on the return route. It was quite frequently coming back to just under half way and then about half way (depending on the revs) of the scale. As soon as the revs went above 2.5K it just shot straight back up to the max reading and stayed there until the engine revs dropped again. However, I do view this as progress for this little niggle.

Anyway, once I was back home it was time to drain the oil and whip off the filter. Considering the oil had only done about 40-50 miles tops at this point, I think that my decision was probably a decent one. Here is the stuff that came out:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

And a smaller sample in a glass - note the bit I 'swished' up the side to give a better indication.

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

So then of course it was time to stick the new stuff in. New Copper washer for the sump plug, lovely new Bosch oil filter that I had squirreled away for this event and the liquid gold itself:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

All good and purring nicely.

 

Now the bad news!

1) I have an oil leak from the NS of the rocker cover. There has been slight weep there for a while and nipping up the bolt has done nothing to cure this at all.

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

I bought a new gasket a few days ago, but does anybody have any pearls of wisdom to help me understand why it is leaking just at this one point? Warped or bent cover, misaligned gasket?

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

2) The even bigger problem is that on two occasions, when accelerating up a slight incline from lower revs I had, what I would call in a manual car, clutch slip - Doh!  :unsure: - not good and deeply depressing. Any thoughts and ideas on this folks. Torque converter? Low fluid? (I haven't checked that one yet)

 

There were various rattles and knocked during the extended drive to get it up to temperature this morning, most of which I think I can probably track down and cure. However, I am left with a bit of sinking feeling right now. After investing so much time and energy into this car, it isn't rewarding me at the moment with anything satisfying.

I guess to summarise, I'm wondering at the moment if it was really all worth it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont be too down, there were always going to be some bits after an extended shakedown, the gearbox may just be oil, the Mrs Corsa D was doing the same thing on hills and sometimes wouldn't change up easily, changed the oil and got the level right using the exact stuff and it was fine.

Take a look at your before pictures then go outside take a look at what you have done and be proud, I would be!

Then crack on with the rattle hunt :thumbup 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ian might be the torque converter also automatic transmissions still contain wet clutch packs same sort of thing as a motorbike has many plates and friction plates could be worn also miss adjusted bands/worn.the valve body has many valves,balls and springs could be sticking you could try this got very good results on mine .what was the old oil like black and burnt?."was it worth it" you know I keep asking the same question then I look at the car and think **** yeah.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by hoobby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check that the rocker cover is not distorted,when replacing the gasket put a bit of grease on the gasket lt will help it seal 

As for the gearbox it may be that it is lack of being used 

If you did not do this cav ,What would you be doing 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I made a little investment that will allow me to undertake my Autumn / Winter project - making new seat covers...

So here it is, courtesy of a nice lady on Facebook Marketplace:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

I'm determined to teach myself a new skill set and I detect that this will not be easy. First things first though and I managed to get it threaded up and joined two pieces of material together!

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

:D  :thumbup

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/09/2019 at 09:53, IanMc said:

Early start today as its lovely and Sunny here.

After moving the rest of the fleet around (which is quite a task in itself these days!), I had created the space to get the Cav out of the garage. The idea being to take it for a run to get it warm, add the STP engine flush when I was at the half way point, the poodle back at about 2 - 2.5K revs. The STP instructions say dont use it in the engine when you run the car, but to just have it warm and add it for 15 minutes of fast idle. My thinking was that the route I took only has 30 and 40 mph speed limits and with my auto that is 2000 to 2500 revs max - which to my tiny mind is about the same as fast idle. Anyway, whats the worst that could happen?!   :lol:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

Interesting, the oil pressure gauge was showing signs of coming back to life on the return route. It was quite frequently coming back to just under half way and then about half way (depending on the revs) of the scale. As soon as the revs went above 2.5K it just shot straight back up to the max reading and stayed there until the engine revs dropped again. However, I do view this as progress for this little niggle.

Anyway, once I was back home it was time to drain the oil and whip off the filter. Considering the oil had only done about 40-50 miles tops at this point, I think that my decision was probably a decent one. Here is the stuff that came out:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

And a smaller sample in a glass - note the bit I 'swished' up the side to give a better indication.

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

So then of course it was time to stick the new stuff in. New Copper washer for the sump plug, lovely new Bosch oil filter that I had squirreled away for this event and the liquid gold itself:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

All good and purring nicely.

 

Now the bad news!

1) I have an oil leak from the NS of the rocker cover. There has been slight weep there for a while and nipping up the bolt has done nothing to cure this at all.

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

I bought a new gasket a few days ago, but does anybody have any pearls of wisdom to help me understand why it is leaking just at this one point? Warped or bent cover, misaligned gasket?

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

2) The even bigger problem is that on two occasions, when accelerating up a slight incline from lower revs I had, what I would call in a manual car, clutch slip - Doh!  :unsure: - not good and deeply depressing. Any thoughts and ideas on this folks. Torque converter? Low fluid? (I haven't checked that one yet)

 

There were various rattles and knocked during the extended drive to get it up to temperature this morning, most of which I think I can probably track down and cure. However, I am left with a bit of sinking feeling right now. After investing so much time and energy into this car, it isn't rewarding me at the moment with anything satisfying.

I guess to summarise, I'm wondering at the moment if it was really all worth it?

hi i have a good auto box and torq conv for your manta.

i bought it for mine as i thought my box was no good. but it was somthing simple.

but i got it as a bavk up. its a good box bought it from paul barret.

if you want them you can have them for free

Edited by droop snoot hp firenza
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, droop snoot hp firenza said:

hi i have a good auto box and torq conv for your manta.

i bought it for mine as i thought my box was no good. but it was somthing simple.

but i got it as a bavk up. its a good box bought it from paul barret.

if you want them you can have them for free

 

FREE?!?! - are you serious?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi ian.

the issue with the rocker cover is a possible few things. aftermarket cork gaskets tend to be a bit more feeble composition to the original density cork gm and some aftermarket types ,the oil can actually seep oil through !.contratry to some recommendations i always firstly stick the gasket onto the rocker cover pegs with black silicone .( these pegs can become flattened if anyone has ever overtightened the bolts,hard to get right after this exept maybee skimming the pegs off ?) making sure its properly in place inbetween the pegs .a clean surface is essential.then a thin smear of silicone on the bottom of the gasket as you fit it. dont overtighten it .!

as for the auto box dont condem it yet. check the fluid level again .(fully warmed up,level ground,engine running)or maybee double check the brake band adjustment, a gearbox specialist told me to never touch mine unless there was an issue .so i never did. 

at least theres another box available if required. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, droop snoot hp firenza said:

yes if you collect it you can have it.

 

 

Thanks Russ, that is a wonderful gesture. I will check a few things first if that is OK, the get back to you. Could you give me first refusal though?

9 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

hi ian.

the issue with the rocker cover is a possible few things. aftermarket cork gaskets tend to be a bit more feeble composition to the original density cork gm and some aftermarket types ,the oil can actually seep oil through !.contratry to some recommendations i always firstly stick the gasket onto the rocker cover pegs with black silicone .( these pegs can become flattened if anyone has ever overtightened the bolts,hard to get right after this exept maybee skimming the pegs off ?) making sure its properly in place inbetween the pegs .a clean surface is essential.then a thin smear of silicone on the bottom of the gasket as you fit it. dont overtighten it .!

as for the auto box dont condem it yet. check the fluid level again .(fully warmed up,level ground,engine running)or maybee double check the brake band adjustment, a gearbox specialist told me to never touch mine unless there was an issue .so i never did. 

at least theres another box available if required. 

 

Thanks for the thoughts and advice Chris, much appreciated.

 

Re: the auto box - yes the brake band adjustment occurred to me too - I wonder if the Haynes manual torque figure is wrong?! I might contact the parts suppliers and ask them if they have any setting info/values available.

As you say though, fluid level check first.

Thanks guys, you have all collectively managed to cheer me up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This evenings update:

I’m generally feeling more positive tonight as I have just been out to the garage to check the ‘cold’ auto trans oil level - and it was low...

Basically, I had to add around 0.5 Litres to get it to the required mark on the dipstick. I haven’t been out on the road with it yet, but already it feels nice to find a fault.

Fingers crossed!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, there will be no Cav work tonight - apparently I have a leaky power shower pump to fix, then a busted Mini exhaust to try to patch up.

Happy days 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if an A series auto box is the same but here's a link for a workshop manual:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.opelgtforum.nl/downloads/service_manual.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjPmKCp4MbkAhVJh1wKHT3nBTE4ChAWMAd6BAgEEAE&usg=AOvVaw1PzcPACKvGar5I55XC-JIY

It's about 2/3rd's down for auto box. If not, maybe useful to someone. 😎

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight's little adventure was to try to find out why I had an oil leak from the passenger bulkhead corner of the rocker cover.

Everything looks normal externally as you would expect:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

Then with the cover off, everything suddenly comes into focus:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

So Mr Clumsy strikes again - it was just operator error!

 

The cover looks pretty good, apart from a slight kink in that area. I will probably try to straighten that just a little with a hammer and dolly:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

Its probably going to be tomorrow now before the new gasket is fitted. Fingers crossed I dont make the same mistake again.

Have a nice evening all  :thumbup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A tiny bit more done just now...

The mating surfaces have now both been cleaned up and the small kink in the cover straightened out nicely:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

Unwrapped the new gasket and that looks (and feels) good quality, its just a tad under 4 mm thick too which I am happy with:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

I then thought I might as well go ahead and fit it, but sadly I have not got enough Red Hylotyte sealer - typical!

On 10/09/2019 at 18:29, Exclusive Opel said:

Don't know if an A series auto box is the same but here's a link for a workshop manual:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.opelgtforum.nl/downloads/service_manual.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjPmKCp4MbkAhVJh1wKHT3nBTE4ChAWMAd6BAgEEAE&usg=AOvVaw1PzcPACKvGar5I55XC-JIY

It's about 2/3rd's down for auto box. If not, maybe useful to someone. 😎

 

Thanks for sharing this - it is an excellent source of information.

I have found the torque required for the brake bank bolt and it is stated as 40 in lbs, which equals approx 4.5 Nm. I set mine at 5 Nm, so I am pleased to find another information source that agrees with Mr Haynes.

Sincere thanks again Exclusive Opel!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian,  re the brake band torque, I remember when I was a mechanic with SUNBLEST, we had about a dozen new transit vans, supplied, and they where automatic, myself and one of the other mechanics had to go for a two day course with Borge Warner who had a factory in Port Talbot, as they were the Borge Warner 35 boxes, very similar to the General Motor box that we have, what I am coming to is the torque in question was 33 ft lbs,so is there a misprint in our Haynes manual?, Like a little dot in between he two threes? I'm going to try and get some info on it tomorrow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Julian said:

Ian,  re the brake band torque, I remember when I was a mechanic with SUNBLEST, we had about a dozen new transit vans, supplied, and they where automatic, myself and one of the other mechanics had to go for a two day course with Borge Warner who had a factory in Port Talbot, as they were the Borge Warner 35 boxes, very similar to the General Motor box that we have, what I am coming to is the torque in question was 33 ft lbs,so is there a misprint in our Haynes manual?, Like a little dot in between he two threes? I'm going to try and get some info on it tomorrow.  

Hi Julian,

My Haynes manual gives the brake band adjusting screw torque as 3.3 lb f ft (foot pounds of course) - this equals 0.5 kg f m = 5 Nm

The Opel manual that Exclusive Opel linked, gives the value as 40 inch pounds, which equates to a little over 4.5 Nm.

This suggests that the Haynes manual is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like my memory of fifty odd years ago isn't so good!!!! it must have been 33 inch pounds then not foot pounds on the  Transit vans. Have a good day mate.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Popped into my local motor factors today to get some Red Hylotyte and they were out of stock. However, they were very quick to recommend an alternative (from their own experiences) - this is it:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

Even the image on the front was appropriate, so decided to follow their advice.

The instructions said to apply a thin film to both surfaces, so away I went:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

And with the cover refitted - no time to test it tonight unfortunately, but it cant be any worse than it was....

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ian had the same problem on a cavalier engine would not stop leaking so done the same as you have took it to work first warning was the tail gatter who quickly dropped back and started washing his screen then I stopped at traffic lights to be enveloped in smoke when I got the bonnet up found it had spat the whole rocker gasket out and blew every seal and the head gasket on the engine this was due to a clogged breather gauze a very expensive oversight hope you have cleaned yours?.

Edited by hoobby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hoobby said:

 was due to a clogged breather gauze a very expensive oversight hope you have cleaned yours?.

 

Hi Graeme,

In fact that was one of the very first jobs that I did on this car. The engine was seized when I got it (exhaust valve stuck open), so I had the rocker cover over the strip off the head etc. The cover was throughly cleaned, including the gauze at the same time.   :thumbup

I am afraid that there is a really good chance of nothing being done to the Cav this weekend. This is because my Wifes Cooper S needs some attention...

Remember that Mr Clumsy rammed it backwards through a hedge and fence? - well it turns out that the exhaust took the brunt of things and both rear hangers are shot and one of the pipes to the OS silencer box is cracked at the welded joint.

So this weekends job is to:

- Remove the system from the cat back, which looks lie this:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

- Clean everything up.

- Try to reweld the fractured joint

- Replace the two broken rubber mounts/hangers (Red in the above image) with these little fellas:

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

 

- Bolt it all back up and hope that its gas tight and all lines up again...

 

Happy days - still at least there is only one person that I can blame!   :lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...