Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

A little bit more progress.

Firstly the old fixing method 'square tangs' were ground off:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Then when I got to each of the metal strip, I noticed another more normal tang sticking up:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

On closer inspection of the original door card it is clear that there is slots for these. I hadnt noticed these before because of the layer of old adhesive:

So once I have cut corresponding slots in the new door cards, this will help with the alignment and general fit of these parts.

Then the metal strip after a quick coat of Black Gloss paint (on both sides obviously) for protection:

God, these door cards are taking forever! 

I think with the bleaching over the years of the original, that will not be too far away from original Ian.

As for rivets, what about those that peel out and create something similar to the original, or if clearance is an issue, I do remember a 2 piece rivet used for material on one of those USA retro programs, that you assemble with a drift.

Edited by Jessopia74

48 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

I think with the bleaching over the years of the original, that will not be too far away from original Ian.

As for rivets, what about those that peel out and create something similar to the original, or if clearance is an issue, I do remember a 2 piece rivet used for material on one of those USA retro programs, that you assemble with a drift.

Thanks Jess much appreciated.

I will try standard pop rivets with rivet washers first on some extra material and see what happens. If it doesnt work, I will look at one of your suggested alternatives.

Thanks again!

On 29/08/2019 at 20:43, IanMc said:

Ian, your thread has solved one of life's mysteries for me! When going through my spare pats i came across a packet from Thomas with a very small O ring it it and never could figure where it came from and now looking at your pack from the speedo drive i must have only used the outer one!! so your thread is useful and before i hook the cable i should swap out the old O ring for that nice new one!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 611 said:

Ian, your thread has solved one of life's mysteries for me! When going through my spare pats i came across a packet from Thomas with a very small O ring it it and never could figure where it came from and now looking at your pack from the speedo drive i must have only used the outer one!! so your thread is useful and before i hook the cable i should swap out the old O ring for that nice new one!!

I done the same job last week, quite straight forward really, the only difficult part is getting underneath the car lying on my back!! I remember the days when I could do that even with a woodbine stuck in my mouth!!  I hope no one is going to ask " What is a woodbine?!!

Edited by Julian
  • Like 3

Just done a couple of little tests with some scrap metal the same thickness as the top 'door rail' and some of the left over hardboard used for the door cards.

The assembled hardware:

I thought it would be a good idea to try the rivets from both sides to see what the difference would be:

With the rivet inserted from the metal side:

As you can see it only just about grips on the back, but it is still very well clamped.

Now with the rivet from the board side:

For obvious reasons, it has gripped better - although the rivets could obviously do with being a few millimeters longer.

I then decide to do a 'strength test' to see if either rivet would give way/pull out - they didn't and the board simply broke instead. 

So on the basis that there are going to be 26 rivets holding the top rail to the board I can say with all confidence that it is not going to come off!  :thumbup

I have ordered some rivet washers, but I don't think that I will even bother using those...

• Like 1

Today the Burgundy Leatherette arrived, so this meant that we could take another small step forwards on the door cards this evening:

Armed with the old strip as a template a strip of the new material was cut and the tools assembled:

First it was necessary to use some pegs to hold the old to the new. This was because if the old material 'memory':

Eventually we had the shape:

Then the bend lines were marked out to help with the alignment during the gluing stage:

I then pinned one end to help me keep things straight:

Then a lot of pegs were added to clamp the rail to the new material temporarily:

Then off to the garage...

Spray adhesive was added to the curved surface of the rail:

Once that surface was secure, I removed the pegs and did the top 'wrap around' section:

Then it was time to try to reattach the window seal strip. I used one of our members brilliant idea of dress making pins to locate the staple holes - you know who you are!  :thumbup

Then starting at the middle and working my way out to both ends, remove each pair of pins and replace with a staple inserted by hand:

And with the staple pushed through the material on the inside face:

Then the legs were bend over with a screwdriver to clamp the strip to the material and the rail:

So now we have this - note the supervision that was pretty much constant this evening...  :lol:

Naturally the ends also needed to be tucked under the rail, hence the pegs as the adhesive dries.

Hopefully tomorrow evening I can attempt to put the rubber strip back to the top of the door and then rivet the top metal rail to the door card.

Onwards!

• Like 4

Just a little bit done this evening as I have a very early start tomorrow morning.

I marked out the door card ready for the top rubber profile strip 'thing':

Then after applying a couple of runs of the adhesive you can see, it was time to apply the strip:

Finally I added a few clamps and then left it to dry overnight (this photo shows the back face):

Have a nice evening everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why don't you admit it Ian, You designed these door cards and made them for Vauxhall & Opel back in the day, not tying to make out and pull the wool over our eyes that you are a novice!!!!.  Brilliant Mate. By the way I've posted your Auto box tool today.  Keep up the good work.

Edited by Julian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A little more progress on the Drivers side door card this morning.

First it was time to mark out and then drill the rivet holes for the top rail:

Then the first couple of rivets were inserted (at either end) to hold everything in place as I moved along:

All rivets in and secure (phew!):

Then I stood the door card up and pulled the Burgundy Leatherette tight over the rubber to make sure: a) it was going to look OK and b) it was long enough to still reace the face of the door card - all good!

I think I might make the other side about an inch longer though, just to make things a little more relaxing...

Then I thought it would be nice to do a quick mock up with the bottom carpet, chrome dividing strips etc to get an idea of how all the colours might come together in the end. I think it will look OK.

The mock up did highlight one small error though - I had missed a slot for the bottom chrome strip:

So naturally I cut that out while I thought of it.

For a while I have had the intention of adding a little more padding behind the actual door car fabric, it just felt too hard when you touched it. I found this 2 mm 'fabric packing out foam' on Ebay, designed for upholstery work, so decided I would give that a go. My hope is it will add a small touch of quality and sound deadening to each door.

So I then set about cutting it to the necessary blank size:

My wing man was in close attendance as usual - bless him

To be continued later  :thumbup

• Like 3

Great work as we have come to spect mate. And agin awesome pictures really help understand what’s going on, on where things need to go. Could be argued it nearly needs its own thread as a guide👍👍

Quick question, how did rivers look on blind side? Did you use washers or was they secure enough in the board?

8 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Great work as we have come to spect mate. And agin awesome pictures really help understand what’s going on, on where things need to go. Could be argued it nearly needs its own thread as a guide👍👍

Quick question, how did rivers look on blind side? Did you use washers or was they secure enough in the board?

Thanks Jess, much appreciated.

I didn't bother with rivet washers in the end (even though I had them). Over 20 rivets were easily man enough to hold that all together. With hindsight, the right way to do that job is to attach the top rail, before you glue on the rubber strip - as you will see I ended up drilling into/through that quite regularly... Mr Clumsy strikes again.

A bit more progress. Now it was time to turn my attention to the carpet that sits at the bottom of the Cav's doors. years of dirt and UV had seriously taken its toll, but thankfully the actual material structure was still very good.

Following the advice of my new buddy at Carpetright, I pressed on with the spray idea. This s the colour I had previously chosen to try to bring as much of the old and new colours together as I though possible.

How the carpet looked before we started:

So on we went with the first coat, starting with the edges:

The the front face:

A short time ago, the second dusting went on:

Fingers crossed, but I think it might work out quite well  :thumbup

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So after three dustings the carpet is about as good as its going to get:

At least its a consistent colour across its length now.

So with that done, it was time to apply some spray adhesive and start to stick things on. Firstly the Burgundy Leatherette to the rubber strip at the top, then the 2 mm foam 'packing' and then finally the carpet. Then the carpet will need stapling on the other side as it has about a half inch 'return'.

Fingers crossed everything stays in place or its back out with more adhesive.

• Like 1

After a trial fit of the the top chrome strip, I decided that the length of the leatherette door cap was just a tiny bit too short. I could make it fit by pulling the material tight over the rubber, but I was worried that this might introduce some wrinkles or strain the top rail retaining rivets. So I took the decision to remove it and make a new piece... a bit painful I know, but what the hell - and I certainly didn't want to be disappointed every time I got in and out of the car and looked at it :unsure:

So here is the new piece in place waiting for the window seal Black strip to be stapled in place:

After that I could turn my attention to trimming and tucking in the ends. I also decided to add some staplers this time to hold everything better and keep some slight tension on the material. I know the staples are not 'pretty', but my staple gun decided it wanted to continuously misfire this morning, meaning that it was pure chance whether anything came out and where...

Then I stapled the bottom carpet return to the back of the door card (as original) - again my staple gun made this interesting!

Then it was time to cut the 2 mm packing foam in the areas of the door pull, lock and winder holes:

Then staple and glue back the 'wings':

This is how the Drivers door card looks at the moment - now I need to get some of the fabric ordered, so I can actually finish one of these door cards!!!

Have a nice day everyone  :thumbup

• Like 1

Last little bit, in fact the only bit, that can be done now while I wait for the main piece of door card fabric to arrive - clean the chrome top and bottom dividing strips:

They have come up very well and really shows that GM really were using quality materials and processes 40 years ago:

• Like 1

After a refreshing walk into town, I thought I would make a start on the Passenger side door card - yawn!  :lol:

So we started with this:

And after 30 minutes, thanks to what I have learnt on the other side, we had this:

After grinding off the sharp edges on the top rail and removing all of the old adhesive, rust etc, it was time for a couple of coats of paint:

While my paint mask was out, I thought I might as well give the carpet its first coat as well:

Don't worry everyone, I wont be going into such detail with this side, simply because its the same as the other side and I cant be bothered to go through it all again 

• Haha 2