Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

From people like you Herman!

I am a great believer that with enough determination and some forward thinking/planning you can achieve your goals.

A little bit more done this morning.

My target was to try to separate the parts of the seat cushion so that I would end up with some material templates. This is what we started with:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I started at one end and started to unpick the stitches:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

As you can see there is an awful lot of stitches, so it is a test of your patience and determination. But after about an hour, we were there:

On the reverse side you can now see where the comfort comes from - those four foam strips on the back of the Grey material:

So now we have our first three material templates...

Onwards!

Couldn't you have just recovered the existing seat Ian, or would that just be the cowards way out?!! 

9 minutes ago, Julian said:

Couldn't you have just recovered the existing seat Ian, or would that just be the cowards way out?!! 

Well, that is kind of what I am doing. The original frame work, foam and 'wadding' will all be reused, I just need to make new covers.

Looking good ,are you going to more padding in 

if you put a very thin layer of grease on the frame the form will bed in a lot easier 

Do miss posting work carried out on sticky, but can’t post on radiator covers for the house 

Edited by 1200bandit

With the material now safely in my possession, it was time to get back to the door cards.

The old material were used as templates and the shape and size transposed across to the new material:

Next the stitched 'ribs' were marked out on the front face of each one:

Then it was time to cut the backing material out. This is iron on, so very easy!

And then cue domestic Goddess:

Tomorrow the sewing machine will be dragged out and set up with a colour matched thread... whats the worst that could happen?!  :lol:

Have a nice evening everyone  :thumbup

• Like 1

So up bright and early as its a lovely day here in Braintree.

Out with the sewing machine and all threaded up with matching, well thread... :lol:

My nerves were jangling a little to be honest, as I had never tried anything remotely like this ever before - oh well, get stuck in!

Here is the first of the two pieces of door card material with the three 'interest' stripes added:

As you can see the stitching is OK, but the material has got a little rucked in places. This was because the iron on backing had let go in a few places (perhaps the iron wasn't hot enough?) and moved out of position. Hence when the materials were fed under the needle they were trying to go in slightly different ways. I carried on regardless in the hope that I could iron out those rucks after I had finished.

After learning a valuable lesson on the first one, the second one turned out much better:

And on the back:

I am pleased to report that after ironing both, they now look the same from the front:

So far, so good!

Next job is to trim off the excess backing material, then glue these to the face of the door card. Then it will be final trimming, stapling around the returned edges on the back and cutting the holes required for the window window, handle and lock.

• Like 4

More door card action this evening. It was now time to try to attach the center fabric to the card itself...

Firstly, I checked the old fabric and measured the distance from the bottom of the door card to the first (lowest) 'interest strip' - this was 195 mm. I then transposed the positions of all three stripes to both ends of the door cards. My thinking was that this should: a) make them look very similar to the originals and b) make it easier to set everything up again once the glue and staples started flying.

Here you can just about make out the Purple marks on the card itself below the stitching lines:

Happy with the basic position, I stapled one end to the card in three or four places. Then I folded the material back on itself and masked up the top vinyl and the bottom carpet:

Then it was out with the spray glue. Plenty of that went on to try to counteract the foam backing soaking it up before it had dried:

I then pulled the fabric taught and moved down the door card, ensuring that the stitching lined up with the marks at the opposite end of the door cards. I then spent a couple of minutes trying to smooth out the fabric as best I could.

After removing the masking tape, you start to get an idea of how they might look:

Next job is to do the final height trimming, cut out for the door pull, lock slider and the window. The the last thing to do is to add the 'slits' in the fabric that the chrome dividing strips need to pass through.

Slowly, slowly getting there...  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Ian, not sure if you are aware but check ebay out, you can get leather dye, know someone who dyed rwd cards black! I thought they where new, 

Do you know that new leather look, they looked like that, ive used it to dye a motorbike racing one piece suit, comes with sealer etc.

As with all these companies, the guys know their stuff, im sure you could get red, or burgundy. Think you can darken, but you cant lighten. 

• Thanks 1

More door card fun this evening - I was determined to try to get one finished.

As the Passenger card was the first to be removed, I decided that was to be the one...

First job was to show off my new tools though - stronger needles and thread in preperation of the seat work (as I have to go through the plastic piping), a hog ring set (pliers and of course the rings themselves) and a mega sharp fabric knife for piercing the fabric for the tangs on the chrome strips etc

Anyway... first job was to cut the rectangles for the handle pull and lock slider. These were then tucked inside and stapled:

Then on to cutting the slots for the 'wood' strip retainer - then amazingly it fitted!

Next the bottom chrome material dividing strip. To make this easier, I copied the OEM way, which was to tuck the fabric it under the carpet, then piece it:

Then on with the strip...

Finally, some careful measuring and piercing with the fabric knife allowed me to fit the top chrome material dividing strip and we were done:

Admittedly there is still one or two small tidy up jobs to do, but I'm feeling pretty happy about it has turned out to be honest  :thumbup

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Limeysore said:

Happy.... you should be delirious that looks absolutely fantastic. 

Seconded! I doubt it looked that good when new! Lovely rich colours. Also liking the wood effect strip. Looks darker than I recall, but suits the dark red fabric and carpet perfectly! :thumbup

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gents - your positive comments mean a lot  :thumbup

This evening it was the turn of the Drivers side door card. Again there are one or two little bits to tidy up later in the week, but pretty much done now too:

Cheers all.

• Like 4

This evening I have made a start on the base for the Passenger seat.

I decided that the obvious place to start was using the old fabric as templates for the new.

The old (with the new fabric roll at the top of the photo):

And after a bit of faffing about:

The next job will be to add the 'interest' stitch lines that run from front to back. These will continue the 'theme' across from the door cards.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Mate, you make it look so simple 🤯

It’s not difficult Jess, just drawing around things and cutting them out really.

Wait until the real fun starts - stitching the fabric to the vinyl ‘skirt’, with a length of piping sandwiched in between them...

As some of you will know, Friday night is Archery night - but I couldnt  resist doing a little bit on the Cav before I went.

I marked out the 3 x 'interest' stripes on the base of the Passenger seat:

Then out with my new favourite tool, the sewing machine to add the stitching:

Not too shabby I guess.

Have a nice evening everyone, I'm off out to shoot some arrows!   :thumbup

• Like 2

This morning I decided that I would try to fit at least one of the new door cards. This was mainly because they were starting to get in the way in the garage a bit and I was worried that they might either get grubby or damaged.

The first job was to fit the retaining clips to the back. As you will see I did need some of the new ones that I had bought a few weeks back:

Before fitting I need to make a few additional holes in the center piece of stitched fabric. These were for the window winder shaft and the door handle retaining screws. Then it was time to get it on the car:

It fits pretty well considering I made it  :lol:

I think that the colours compliment the dashboard etc quite well too.

One side down, one to go....

• Like 4