Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

19 minutes ago, Julian said:

I think it is time for you to own up that you built all the  Mantas and Cavaliers back in the day!!! this is what I call Professionalism at it's Best. and I really mean that mate. 

Ha ha, if only - what a fantastic job that would have been...

Thanks for your kind words Julian, much appreciated. 

I hope that you are keeping well matey?

A little bit more done before Dinner.

Drivers side door card, winder handle and pull handle fitted. This was a little bit more tricky as I struggled to make enough space due to the width of the car and my garage.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

While I was out there I did some minor jobs on the back rest frame of the Passenger seat. First I relocated the head rest 'guide tubes' - I had popped these out when I dusted it with primer. Yes I know I don't have head rests and even if they got painted, nobody would ever know as they are hidden - but that's just me I suppose  :lol:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Then I glued a piece of foam back in place that lives at the base of the sprung area, near the seat 'hinge':

Then on the bar immediately behind that sits a strip of wadding, so that was also glued:

Have a nice evening everyone  :thumbup

• Like 3

Thought I would try to do a little more on the Passenger seat base cover this evening. This consisted of capturing the foam strips in a sandwhich between the original Grey backing material and a piece of the 2 mm foam that I used on the door cards:

I stitched the three parts together to make the sandwich - rough, but effective lol 

Then I wanted to stitch this to the fabric I had cut the other evening. My intention was to follow the three stitch 'interest' lines:

The first line went really well, then the sewing machine started playing up... I'm wondering if a) it isnt up to the thickness of material I was trying to run through it and b) I have now broken the mechanism - oops!

I managed to 'frigg' it enough to get the job done though:

As you can see, I ended up with a kind of padded/quilted effect - which I didn't quite expect, but when you stretch it out (as of course I will have to when I put the cover over the foam), you get a nice padded, comfortable effect - with the 'interest lines' clearly visible.

I have to say, I am very worried about the machine though - not sure what to do about that - I can feel a Youtube session coming on...

Panic over - the sewing machine is not broken.

I had broken a needle and basically thrown the bottom bobbin (that feeds the thread for the stitches on the underside) out of sync. I think that this was all caused be yours truly trying to put too much/thick material through it...

One new (heavy duty) needle and a bobbin reset later and we are back in business.

Lol, what have I become?! I sound like an old seamstress lol

• Haha 2

Some more done on the Passenger seat base cover this evening.

Firstly I need to unpick some stitches that were retaining the bottom 'holding strip'. Basically, this added strength to the bottom of the vinyl that attached to the seat frame.

Some messing around later:

As you can see on the ends the vinyl is doubled up to provide strength and a neat edge for where it wraps around the hinge mechanism. So before I could use thisas a tempolate for my new vinyl, these stitches also have to come out... boring!

Finally I stitched the 'wings' to the center seat material:

Have a nice evening everyone.

• Like 3

Upon closer examination, the end reinforcements for the vinyl (see above) are actually seperate pieces stitched on rather than the turned over and stitched arrangement I had assumed. Here is one of the two different lengths:

So off I went to the garage to find a piece of vinyl that I was holding back for such an eventuality and marked out the replacements:

Later this evening I plan to cut these out and get them stitched in place.

Ian, are you hand stitching, or machining the seat material, the stitches you are ripping out. Gonna be in the same boat soon, so im learning alot. Trying to use honeycomb gtj material on recaro seats, along with blitz material. 

I was at a bike event recently, and a couple used an oldschool machine, it was hand operated, they said an electric is too modern, (rubbish).

Used it for sewing leather race suits, racing leathers. 

63254949.jpg

Stick it on my Christmas list!  Opel too :)

Edited by ®evo03

14 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Ian, are you hand stitching, or machining the seat material, the stitches you are ripping out. Gonna be in the same boat soon, so im learning alot. Trying to use honeycomb gtj material on recaro seats, along with blitz material. 

I was at a bike event recently, and a couple used an oldschool machine, it was hand operated, they said an electric is too modern, (rubbish).

I'm loving the look of that old sewing machine - it is a work of art.

Unfortunately I dont have access to such beautiful mechanical wizardry, so I have to be content with a second hand (from Facebook Marketplace) Brother electric sewing machine. I have to say that this modern machines are amazing though - for example mine can do zig-zag stitching and even create button holes on garments!

Its uncovered a whole new world for me to be honest. I even look forward to getting the thing off the shelf and setting it up for the evening - its just something new I guess.

Just in case anyone is interested, my machine is a Brother XL-2120 and cost me just £40 and the Lady I bought it from had just had it serviced too!

I would say its paid for itself already...

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Used it for sewing leather race suits, racing leathers. 

Stick it on my Christmas list!  Opel too :)

Who sold you the material please?

i been searching for it now for days and can’t find anyone listing it 🤯