Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

1 hour ago, Paul Barrett said:

Looking good Ian. 

3m ultrafine to finish that off would bring in extra depth. The stuff is great, used with a mop. 

Cheers Paul, much appreciated :thumbup

This weekend I plan to start wet sanding and compounding the bonnet. This is my starting point:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

In this photo, you can see just how flat it is when compared to the wing top next to it:

Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Morning all,

Its a glorious day down here in Essex and I'm off work today - hooray!  :)  :thumbup  This inspired me to do some more work on the bonnet of the Cav. After some wet sanding/flatting, it was onto the G3 compound.

Now we have this:

The last photo was a bit weird - I think the combination of the overhead fluorescent tubes and the sunshine outside through the phone camera into some strange mode. Having said all that, this is probably the photo that best shows the finish obtained. 

I'm now feeling quite proud of my £100 all up respray :lol:

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 8

On 13/06/2020 at 22:53, Paul Barrett said:

Looking good Ian. 

3m ultrafine to finish that off would bring in extra depth. The stuff is great, used with a mop. 

Just ordered some and a nice new foam head to apply it with. Once I have finished the Drivers side with the wet flatting and G3, I will go around the whole car with this too.

Thanks again for the recommendation Paul  :thumbup

I made a little start on the Drivers side rear quarter this evening.

Popped off the trip strips and the retaining clips, then set to it with the 600 grit first.

The middle and the middle right section of the second photo shows the nasty drips/curtaining that I have to deal with first...

Should keep me out of trouble for a couple of evenings  :lol:

• Like 1

Good morning everyone, I hope that you are all safe and well today?

I am pleased to report two things today:

1) I have successfully managed to wet sand all of those nasty runs out of the paint, primarily used 600 grit wet and dry paper:

This means that I can now start to work through the finer papers and then get this panel compounded. Fingers crossed, all should be fine now.

2) Following Paul Barrett's recommendation above, I have treated the old girl to a bottle of this:

To be honest, I have no idea if that will be enough for the car, but if it works as suggested, then I will happily invest in some more - thanks again Paul.

I would also like to say a huge 'Thank You' to one of our members who has sent me two original rear parcel shelf speaker pods. Please stand up Robah (Rob) - what a superstar! - he wouldn't even let me pay for the postage. I promise to make the install of those part of this project thread. Thanks again Rob, your generosity and kind words have helped me more than you will probably ever realise  :thumbup

• Like 8

Some nice progress this morning. The Drivers side rear quarter is now wet sanded and compounded - pretty pleased with that. Will put a bit of polish on there after lunch.

Have a nice afternoon everyone.

• Like 5

Talking of babies........ I thought that I would be really selfish and share some photos of our Granddaughter who is 17 weeks old today. We are extremely biased of course, but we think that she is a little angel.

The first one is with the very beautiful and patient (she has to be to put up with me :lol:), Mrs Mc and the second one is with Mummy reading one of her favourite books. Sadly 'Daddy' threw them both out of their apartment two weeks ago, so they are both now staying with us while things getting sorted out.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Look who came to see what all the fuss was about in the garage....

She’s clearly as well impressed as we all are! Beautiful girl in a smart motor. Glad you’re there to love them & make them feel secure. Strength & wisdom to you. 

• Like 2

Good morning everyone,

Quite a productive morning so far. I got the trims removed from the Driver door and front wing, then wet sanded everything, then on with the compounding. This what we now have:

The lack of width in my garage makes it quite difficult to show reflections, but you can just about get the idea.

This afternoon I hope to refit the side trim strips and give it all a little coat of wax.

Have a great weekend all.  :thumbup

• Like 4

Today's mini project - the rear parcel shelf speakers.

Once again, sincere thanks to Robah (Rob) for his generosity by giving me a pair of original GM speaker pods. I wanted to fit these to make the car a little more authentic and a little less 'in your face' - which is how it felt with the previously fitted enormous Pioneer ones.

Rob had already told me that he thought that the original speakers might be a little tired, so we investigated. The top covers are held in place with snap fixings and a simple turn of a screwdriver gets you inside:

As you can see, Rob was right:

After looking at a few speaker reviews, these guys seem to fair pretty well, and at £35 a pair delivered, they seemed good value too:

As luck would have it, they were a perfect fit in the existing pod and I didn't even have to drill any new retaining holes:

I was even able to reuse the GM mini wiring loom too - it couldnt have been any easier quite frankly:

Here you can see the internal connections and these are thoughtfully recessed on the back too:

Upon removing the parcel shelf itself, I was reminded that it was warped in a couple of areas on the edge nearest the glass, presumably cased by damp/water at some point when the car was standing for 18-20 years...

I will come back to that later...

Position the speaker pods (I put might so that they would cover the existing holes and cover one strange random hole...) and mark through - I used a wooden skewer I found in the kitchen draw lol. Then drill your holes to suit:

I decided that as the speaker pods have little weight they only really needed a small retaining method, so opted for short screws through the parcel shelf. The 2 x screw holes in the pods themselves are masked by the top covers when fitted. Here you can see the screws that I chose and how far they stick through:

Just to make sure that they would be scratching around on the metal of the parcel shelf underneath, I chose to glue some rubber grommets over the exposed screw threads:

With the speakers now attached to the shelf, I decided to tackle the warped edge. Assuming that water had caused it to warp, I thought that maybe water might help me solve the problem too?

I therefore may the back of the shelf quite damp and then clamped a length of electrical conduit along using whatever clamps I could quickly lay my hands on:

We will see what we have once that has dried out and then I plan to use some cleaner on the facing surface of parcel shelf itself to try to revive it a little.

As I didn't want to have to speaker cable running directly under the rear seat, then running under the parcel shelf board, I followed to main wiring loom into the boot space, then drilled holes into the Steel of the parcel shelf. These holes correspond exactly with the holes in the parcel shelf board. Then rubber grommets were used and the ends of the cables prepared:

Once the board has dried out, I will refit that and make the final speaker connections. 

I hope that all helps somebody else at some point?

• Like 3

Hi Ian, doing good, sorry its too late, but, i fitted fiat punto speakers to original manta pods, perfect fit. Might help someone else out, as i would imagine all manta, cav, ascona speakers are getting to that vintage.

Cant believe this thread has 77 pages, a labour of love, would be a nice piece of history to produce it in one of the 'photobox' books, to keep with the car. Lesson learned, "nothing is impossible"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Managed to grab some time during my lunch break today.

Good news the water and clamp bodge seems to have worked and the edge of the parcel shelf board is fairly straight again:

After refitting the pod top covers, a quick spruce up with some dashboard cleaner has it looking a good deal fresher than it was:

And back in the car and connected up - sounds great too!

:thumbup  

• Like 9