Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

25 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Again well done, another step to perfection 👍

I’m not sure the word perfection should ever be used when referring to my car Herman - but thank you anyway.

I needed to get to something in the garage earlier, so rather than risk it falling on the car I decided to roll it out. This seemed like a good opportunity to take a few quick photos.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

As I walked around it, I found about a dozen other little jobs that I now want to do - as you do...

Have a great weekend everyone.

• Like 15

On 06/07/2020 at 14:41, IanMc said:

Managed to grab some time during my lunch break today.

Good news the water and clamp bodge seems to have worked and the edge of the parcel shelf board is fairly straight again:

After refitting the pod top covers, a quick spruce up with some dashboard cleaner has it looking a good deal fresher than it was:

And back in the car and connected up - sounds great too!

:thumbup  

Glad you like them Ian and they are being used.

With all the work you have put in to your car, and showed us the process all the way, I thought it was fitting to give them to someone who is dedicated to the scene and forum.

You have given me tips and different methods on approaching certain jobs and I appreciate that very much.

Cheers :thumbup

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Sure does look tidy, very original - new no. Plates now to finish that off.

Re: rear shelf. How did they originally firm these? Are they like a wet mix Pulp cast into shape? 

I couldn't personally change mine tho cracked it's the only thing we have left from the GTJ  (fullsunian)

And no I still haven't finished that bloody fence :angry:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robah said:

Glad you like them Ian and they are being used.

With all the work you have put in to your car, and showed us the process all the way, I thought it was fitting to give them to someone who is dedicated to the scene and forum.

You have given me tips and different methods on approaching certain jobs and I appreciate that very much.

Cheers :thumbup

This is what it’s all about 😍👏👏

• Like 2

If any of you are unfortunate to be anything like me (God save you if you are lol), you will be unlucky enough to be a combination of clumsy and stupid - not a great combination...  :lol:

Ages ago I used either the wrong size of screws or too much strength (not normally one of my gifts) and broke off the plastic tube mount inside the top steering column/ignition barrel shroud - Doh!

Thankfully I was able to pick up a spare from our friendly neighborhood spares man (Mr Carlos) to get me out of trouble. One thing that  noticed though that they all seem to have at least one of the little locating pegs broken off. This photo shows a good locating peg:

Needing something to occupy my mind and to get the two parts aligned properly, I got to thinking about how I could make a couple of new pegs for mine. The answer: a cocktail stick - it was just the right size.

First I filed flat what was left of the broken pegs and then drilled using a dia. 1.5 mm bit. Next I open that up with a 2.5 mm bit. A little drop of glue was added to the holes, then the two lengths of stick were pushed in:

Next put a mark on the pegs to the length that you want, which for the record is 4.5 mm.

Then obviously cut off the sticks. I then added a tiny chamfer to the end of each stick with some sand paper, just to help them find the corresponding hole on the other cover.

As I am a bit of a tart, I decided that I had to paint them as well, so added some black touch in paint that I had lying around:

For the record, its the two pegs furthest away that I have replaced.

Before I added the paint, I check that everything lines up and it does perfectly  :thumbup

Perhaps this little bodge might help somebody else one day?

6 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Sure does look tidy, very original - new no. Plates now to finish that off.

Re: rear shelf. How did they originally firm these? Are they like a wet mix Pulp cast into shape? 

I think I should keep the plates to be honest Jess, they are the cars original ones - well as far as I know anyway.

With regards to the parcel shelf - yes, I think that you are absolutely right. That was the reason I decided to make it wet again and try the clamp route - to be honest I didn't really have anything to lose.

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 7

That wooden dowel trick is excellent, I love the colour coding.

The steering surrounds are fragile as hell anyway and always were so things like your modification are great for preserving parts that will become a bigger problem the more time goes by.

• Like 1

A little bit of progress today. Thanks to Herman's excellent guide, and to Scott for sending me two bulb holders (even when I only needed one  :thumbup), I managed to adapt the Drivers side reflector to a working fog lamp.

I am just waiting for a fused relay to arrive, then I can tidy up the wiring properly and push the switch back in the dash etc.

Thanks once again to Scott and Herman!

• Like 4

Managed to get a few bits and bobs done today:

- After receiving the fused relay for the rear fog light conversation (please see above), I got the wiring finished up. That all looks good and the light works beautifully, so I am pleased with that.

- After having the bottom of the drivers side of the dash off, I washed 40 years of dirt and dust off the back of those.

- Fitted the (repaired - see above also) top and bottom steering/ignition cowls.

- Modified the back of the fuse cover, so you can actually read it lol - I highlighted the numbers with White Tippex, then taped a piece of paper over the (German) text, so I don’t have to use Google Translate, try to remember what each fuse is for, or carry the manual around with me.

All very minor things, but they just make things a little easier.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Apologies, I forgot to take some photos at the weeeknd.

Here is the fog lamp switch installed:

And the modified rear light viewed from the boot. There is only really the blue wire that says that shows that this is not standard:

And finally my quick bodge on the back of the fuse cover:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My next mini project is: The inside of boot space tidy up/revamp.

Frankly its a complete mess in there and I hate even opening the lid to look inside  :lol:

The next few photos show you exactly what I mean...

I had simply intended to fit a carpet and leave it at that, but I feel it needs much more. For starters, I have ordered a cover/storage bag for the spare wheel - this is hardl;y an atractive item to see when you open the boot...

So, to kick off the project I decided to break myself in easily and take a look at the light. As suspected, it was grubby, dusty and had corroded terminals and a cruddy bulb. The next photo show what I ended up with after a few minutes of cleaning:

This was the bulb that came out - unbelievably it was working nicely:

After rummaging through my endless collection of spare bulbs... does everyone have enough for 25 spare cars by the way, or is it just me?! - I found these:

Convinced I must have an LED equivalent somewhere I kept looking, and eventually found this:

I toddled back off to the garage and fitted everything up, then decided to test the two bulb types to compare the light output:

Conventional bulb:

LED bulb:

I think that the LED wins the day, it just seems like a cleaner, more natural light to me. So I have left that in the car.

I am now thinking of a few ways to make the boot appear to be a little more 'modern' when you open the lid. My thinking is that this will also increase the sound insulation too, but that will be just a happy byproduct.

Enjoy your day everyone.

• Like 1

After doing some investigation and watching some YouTube videos, I have decided that I will use some 4 way stretch van/camper lining carpet.

This should allow me to line the sides and the rear panel quite nicely. Then I can finish off the floor with a nice piece of carpet.

Thats the plan anyway... :lol:

• Like 1

Definitely the LED, looks far better. Chance of the plastic lens lasting is also increased with reduced heat.👍

I built some panels out of Conti board for one of my old cars and used some carpet that was like thick felt that dud not have a back on it, so it coukd be pulled about. But I got it from a trimmers, maybe it’s similar stuff?

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Definitely the LED, looks far better. Chance of the plastic lens lasting is also increased with reduced heat.👍

I built some panels out of Conti board for one of my old cars and used some carpet that was like thick felt that dud not have a back on it, so it coukd be pulled about. But I got it from a trimmers, maybe it’s similar stuff?

Check out the 4 way stretch carpet Jess, it’s excellent!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IanMc said:

After doing some investigation and watching some YouTube videos, I have decided that I will use some 4 way stretch van/camper lining carpet.

This should allow me to line the sides and the rear panel quite nicely. Then I can finish off the floor with a nice piece of carpet.

Thats the plan anyway... :lol:

Hi Ian I'm sure it will look stunning if it were my car I would go for red carpet in the back to match the interior give it that royal look the offer is still open if you want to borrow mine as a template tho think your  boot is probably a different shape to mine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IanMc said:

So, to kick off the project I decided to break myself in easily and take a look at the light. As suspected, it was grubby, dusty and had corroded terminals and a cruddy bulb. The next photo show what I ended up with after a few minutes of cleaning:

This was the bulb that came out - unbelievably it was working nicely:

After rummaging through my endless collection of spare bulbs... does everyone have enough for 25 spare cars by the way, or is it just me?! - I found these:

Convinced I must have an LED equivalent somewhere I kept looking, and eventually found this:

I think that the LED wins the day, it just seems like a cleaner, more natural light to me. So I have left that in the car.

I am now thinking of a few ways to make the boot appear to be a little more 'modern' when you open the lid. My thinking is that this will also increase the sound insulation too, but that will be just a happy byproduct.

Enjoy your day everyone.

I got a few of those LED's for another project item and they did not fit that "too big". I never thought about using them in the Manta interior lights. Thanks for another top tip. :thumbup

• Like 1

The boot liner kit has arrived. I ordered a 3 x 2 M section of stretch carpet and 2 cans of adhesive for just under £30 delivered. I could have bought a bit cheaper, but I went on recommendation/review in the end. The adhesive had some good reviews due to its max. temperature rating (120 deg. C).

The carpet is actually a little thicker than I expected, which is pleasing:

I've got a small mountain of work to clear this week, so it will almost certainly be the weekend now before I even look at it all again.

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 2