Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

6 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Thank you kind Sir, I’m really pleased my bodging is helping someone lol

Re: the tax and MOT exemption, I simply took my V5, certificate of Insurance and Govt form V112 and told the lady at the counter why I was there. She checked the COI, took form V112 (which I needed as my car did not have an MOT) and scanned the V5.

She then gave me back the right hand page of the V5 and said “I’ve taxed it for a year from the start of the month and you will receive a new V5 (with the Car reclassified as ‘Historic’) in 4-6 weeks - enjoy!”

Good luck getting yours sorted mate :thumbup

Great info mate, tyvm

• Like 1

I needed to pop into work this evening to collect something, so my Son and I decided to take the Cav - well why not?!

She ran really well and showed a great turn of speed, which certainly surprised our Son. He had his phone connected to the BT of the cheapo head unit, so we had some new school tunes coming out of the old school car lol

In the end we covered about 20 miles - most enjoyable. Here she is during the brief pit stop at the office:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 16

16 minutes ago, IanMc said:

I needed to pop into work this evening to collect something, so my Son and I decided to take the Cav - well why not?!

She ran really well and showed a great turn of speed, which certainly surprised our Son. He had his phone connected to the BT of the cheapo head unit, so we had some new school tunes coming out of the old school car lol

In the end we covered about 20 miles - most enjoyable. Here she is during the brief pit stop at the office:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Looking fantastic & it’s so good to see you starting to take trips out after the epic restro  

Just a matter of time until he wants to borrow her for a quick run to the shop. At least that’s how it starts, my elder son has found a variety of excuses to borrow my old shed. 

Time you renamed the thread

Polar White - a restoration epic, done... like a Boss!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Trooker said:

Looking fantastic & it’s so good to see you starting to take trips out after the epic restro  

Just a matter of time until he wants to borrow her for a quick run to the shop. At least that’s how it starts, my elder son has found a variety of excuses to borrow my old shed. 

Time you renamed the thread

Polar White - a restoration epic, done... like a Boss!

So looking forward to see end result on my cavalier looks awesome in white. 

• Thanks 1

Now the car is seemingly up and running, I am now going to turn my attention to the smaller details that are bugging the life out of me...

You all know about my intention to replace the headliner, but that will probably be an Autumn/Winter project, as sweating my whatsits off in a tin car in the Summer is not my idea of fun :lol:

So the first of those 'fill in' jobs was the N/S headlight. Ever since I refurbished it a couple of years ago, my lack of patience has stared back at me. I am talking about reassembling it using Black adhesive/sealant to attach the from glass. Here it is after putting t back together:

It didn't occur to me at the time just how clear and obvious the Black was going to be... Add to that my impatience and desire to finish something and I continue and let it dry - big mistake. So it was time to right that wrong.

After removing the lamp, I stripped off the majority of the old Black sealant to end up with this:

This is the seam as viewed from the front that hopefully will look way better once finished:

I am collecting some clear sealant/adhesive from Screwfix later that should do the trick. Naturally I will show you all how it ended up.

• Like 3

As I am still working from home, I was able to get a bit more done at lunchtime. I collected the adhesive/sealer - I went for this one, purely on the basis that I recognised and trusted the name/brand:

Whacked it all around the join line, then pushed it in and smoothed it out with the trim tool you can see in the photo:

The next photo is a close up of one side after adding the sealer, its not too obvious though as it is so clear lol

Now we wait until its dry and see if the glass stays attached I guess  :lol:

Edited by IanMc

Well I guess this means it stuck OK  :lol:

Looks way better now too!

Hopefully I can spare a few minutes this evening to bolt it back in and they will be another job jobbed  :thumbup

• Like 7

I got another couple of minor jobs completed this morning:

1) The HRW switch was bleeding light through to the front, basically so you could see a strip of light between the rocker and the outer casing.Not exactly the end of the world, but irritating and slightly distracting when driving.

After stripping the switch down I found that the bulb 'shield' that is part of the main switch body had broken away. Presumably, this was as a result of the heat from the bulb and age making it brittle when driving. This shield stops the light going down or forward and ensures that it stays within the confines of the switch. When the HRW is turned on, the rocker then exposes an area of Red clear plastic inside the switch that illuminates the symbol. Not exactly high tech now, but in 1979... well, not really then either to be honest  :lol:

Anyway, I damaged to fashion a new shield out of a small push in Black screw cap/cover and stuck that over the remnants with super glue. Tested it out - all good   :thumbup

2) After sorting the switch, it dawned on me that I had never actually tested the HRW itself yet. Off to the kitchen, boiled the kettle, then put a bowl of hot water on the parcel shelf to mist up the rear screen. Started the engine and flicked the switch - hey presto, the tell tale clear lines either side of the wires started to appear - so all good there too.

Another couple of small wins to me.

Have a great weekend everyone.

This afternoons fix - the heater control cable for Hot/Cold air. This cable has not worked since I had the car, but I have been putting off sorting this out as it didn't seem important until now.

It turns out there was two problems:

1) the selector on top of the heater box was a combination of jammed up with nuts and seeds (presumably from mice or some other inhabitant) and seized... This seemed like the easiest place to start as the cable was detached from the control arm in the cabin (the second problem that I will come on to). After some releasing fluid and clearing away the seeds and nuts, eventually it gave in and start to move fairly well.

Now to the hard bit:

2) As mentioned above, the semi rigid cable that goes inside the cabin to the Hot/Cold selector lever was detached:

As you can see, the cable had also become bend/kinked. I guess this was as the result of someone pushing the lever up, trying to select Hot, but the seized mechanism prevented this and bent the cable.

Try as I might, I couldn't manipulate the cable back in, even with the pivot point spring cip removed to give much more movement with the lever. In the end I decided to cut a little slot in the arm to allow it to slot over the cable and this allowed the end fitting to sit back into the circular cut out in the arm. Here it is assembled - you can see the slot I cut on the underside. I am happy this does not affect the strength in any way.

Before putting everything back together I checked that I had full movement on both levers:

Happy with that - another job off the 'TO DO' list  :thumbup

• Like 2

Another quick fix - I like these!  :)

Those of you might recall that many moons ago, I reported have smoke coming out of the nearside scuttle vent. As there is nothing else in that area, it had to be coming from the blower fan, so that has sat disconnected for probably a year or more. Spurred on by earlier successes, I decided to take a look at it again (originally it was seized and I had freed it off). It appears as if on reassembly I had not put the left hand side of the motor under the two locating tabs properly, before doing up the retaining screw. I think the result of this must have been that the front of the fan itself was rubbing against the inside face of the outer cover, causing it to overheat as it was prevented from turning. Mr Clumsy strikes again!

After putting it back together properly this time, it works fine - and no smoke...  :lol:

Edited by IanMc
no smoke, not now smoke lol
  • Like 3

As I continue to go through my 'TO DO' snagging list, the next item on the agenda was to investigate a starting issue I have been experiencing (refer to Basic Technical Help for more details). I think its the battery, but I needed to clean and check a few things first.

Wishing to start with the easy and cheap things first, I thought I would clean all terminals and connections on the starter motor. We started with this:

And now we have this:

All of the electrical connections and associated components were thoroughly cleaned with a cloth, then brake cleaner, then finally emery paper to take them back to clean, shiny metal. Naturally I did try to start it and it was absolutely fine, no lag at all.

Time will tell I guess, but I do tend to think that the battery is the main suspect at this point.

I will keep you updated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trooker said:

Looks good mate, did you have a go at the chassis rail to engine earth too? If it’s an old copper braid type they can be failing but appear ok.

Yes I did, forgot to mention that - all good.

47 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

They can indeed.a good tug on them can in most cases Tear a corroded but otherwise good looking one off !

Agreed, In fact this was inspected for deterioration closely a couple of years back, when I was trying to get it running after its engine strip. 

Thanks guys  :thumbup

• Like 1

Following Hooby's (Graeme) experience recently I decided to investigate my brake servo vacuum hose a few days back and decided that it looked suspect enough to change it. Once it was off - which was quite a scrap in the end, it actually didn't seem to be too bad, - but I didn't do Graeme's aquarium test   :lol:

The new hose arrived on Thursday and this morning I got it fitted up.

Does it make a difference to the braking - absolutely no idea, I haven't driven the car yet. It looks better in the engine bay that the old one though...  :lol:

• Like 3