IanMc

Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

6 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Thank you kind Sir, I’m really pleased my bodging is helping someone lol

Re: the tax and MOT exemption, I simply took my V5, certificate of Insurance and Govt form V112 and told the lady at the counter why I was there. She checked the COI, took form V112 (which I needed as my car did not have an MOT) and scanned the V5.

She then gave me back the right hand page of the V5 and said “I’ve taxed it for a year from the start of the month and you will receive a new V5 (with the Car reclassified as ‘Historic’) in 4-6 weeks - enjoy!”

Good luck getting yours sorted mate :thumbup

Great info mate, tyvm

• Like 1

I needed to pop into work this evening to collect something, so my Son and I decided to take the Cav - well why not?!

She ran really well and showed a great turn of speed, which certainly surprised our Son. He had his phone connected to the BT of the cheapo head unit, so we had some new school tunes coming out of the old school car lol

In the end we covered about 20 miles - most enjoyable. Here she is during the brief pit stop at the office:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, IanMc said:

I needed to pop into work this evening to collect something, so my Son and I decided to take the Cav - well why not?!

She ran really well and showed a great turn of speed, which certainly surprised our Son. He had his phone connected to the BT of the cheapo head unit, so we had some new school tunes coming out of the old school car lol

In the end we covered about 20 miles - most enjoyable. Here she is during the brief pit stop at the office:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Looking fantastic & it’s so good to see you starting to take trips out after the epic restro  

Just a matter of time until he wants to borrow her for a quick run to the shop. At least that’s how it starts, my elder son has found a variety of excuses to borrow my old shed. 

Time you renamed the thread

Polar White - a restoration epic, done... like a Boss!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Trooker said:

Looking fantastic & it’s so good to see you starting to take trips out after the epic restro  

Just a matter of time until he wants to borrow her for a quick run to the shop. At least that’s how it starts, my elder son has found a variety of excuses to borrow my old shed. 

Time you renamed the thread

Polar White - a restoration epic, done... like a Boss!

So looking forward to see end result on my cavalier looks awesome in white. 

• Thanks 1

Looks great Ian. Unbelievable the amount of work you have put in to this. Nice to see the end result.

• Thanks 1

Car looks really great Ian. Well done and its nice to see people enjoying the fruits of their labour. 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Thanks 1

Now the car is seemingly up and running, I am now going to turn my attention to the smaller details that are bugging the life out of me...

You all know about my intention to replace the headliner, but that will probably be an Autumn/Winter project, as sweating my whatsits off in a tin car in the Summer is not my idea of fun :lol:

So the first of those 'fill in' jobs was the N/S headlight. Ever since I refurbished it a couple of years ago, my lack of patience has stared back at me. I am talking about reassembling it using Black adhesive/sealant to attach the from glass. Here it is after putting t back together:

It didn't occur to me at the time just how clear and obvious the Black was going to be... Add to that my impatience and desire to finish something and I continue and let it dry - big mistake. So it was time to right that wrong.

After removing the lamp, I stripped off the majority of the old Black sealant to end up with this:

This is the seam as viewed from the front that hopefully will look way better once finished:

I am collecting some clear sealant/adhesive from Screwfix later that should do the trick. Naturally I will show you all how it ended up.

• Like 2

What sealant are you going for ? As it will need to be exterior with UV resistance, probably something like a frame sealant?

• Like 1

As I am still working from home, I was able to get a bit more done at lunchtime. I collected the adhesive/sealer - I went for this one, purely on the basis that I recognised and trusted the name/brand:

Whacked it all around the join line, then pushed it in and smoothed it out with the trim tool you can see in the photo:

The next photo is a close up of one side after adding the sealer, its not too obvious though as it is so clear lol

Now we wait until its dry and see if the glass stays attached I guess  :lol:

Edited by IanMc

Well I guess this means it stuck OK  :lol:

Looks way better now too!

Hopefully I can spare a few minutes this evening to bolt it back in and they will be another job jobbed  :thumbup

• Like 2