Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

Continuing with my attempt to 'soften' my perceived harshness of the Cav's interior, I thought I would take a look at using the Black stretch carpet on the glove box.

I started off by prying off the back of the hinge down door. From what I can now see, I think this is retained more with adhesive that any plastic tangs or engagement. Regardless some gentle prying with a couple of small flat blade screwdrivers has it off:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Then it was time to turn my attention to cleaning off and out about 40 years of grot from the main glove box compartment and the general hinge area (in preperation for the upholstery adhesive later on:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Then it was time to cut a piece of stretch carpet and apply the adhesive to both surfaces:

After letting the adhesive go off for a few minutes, you can add the carpet to the door panel and (then starting from the middle) start to press in firmly in place and form the two recesses for cups.

After a few minutes, you should end up with something like this:

As the temperature is so low in the garage at the moment, I will let that dry for a day or two.

I will probably do the main glove box cavity next, just in case I end up getting adhesive on this piece or damaging it in some other way.

I think it will look OK once all completed.

• Like 3

Today I summoned up enough courage to venture out into the freezing, baron wilderness that is our garage at the moment..

I promised myself that I wouldn't go back indoors until the glove box was lined with stretch carpet and the inside of the door was reattached.

Rater than trying to form four sides from one piece of flat carpet, I decided to do each side, then the back face and bottom/floor in a single piece.

As usual, start by cutting out your material:

Then back at the car, spray both surfaces with yopur upholstery adhesive of choice and leave it for a few minutes to start to dry a bit:

Then work your way around the glove box adding a bit of carpet at a time:

After snapping the inside of the door back in place, you should end up with something like this:

I noticed after I had taken my phone indoors that there was some spray adhesive to clean off and one small area on the front right of the base to add some more adhesive to as it looks like it lifted slightly as I was trimming it. So those things were done without photographic evidence I am afraid.

Perhaps that might give someone else an idea or two, it should certainly quieten down anything in the glove box if it decides to start moving around while driving. Small things I know, but it was damn cold our there!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Stylish.

The lower half of my dash is orange and the inside of the glove box is ghastly. It’s got various marks, scratches and stains from leaky batteries. I think it’s crying out for this treatment but not sure if it would look right in black.

It's a great idea, might stop stuff sliding about too

1 hour ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Stylish.

The lower half of my dash is orange and the inside of the glove box is ghastly. It’s got various marks, scratches and stains from leaky batteries. I think it’s crying out for this treatment but not sure if it would look right in black.

There is quite a few different colours of stretch carpet available, look it up on EBay.

• Like 1

Thanks to the kindness of Jess (Jessopia74), who sent me his coupe headliner, today I was able to make a small start on this project.

Using a large cardboard box (I thought that cardboard would be more stable over a longer period), I placed the headliner over it:

2B9z2au.jpg

Then using my dress making pins, I pinned the headliner to the cardboard at regular intervals. You can see the small, round coloured heads in this photo:

GjfRbUq.jpg

Then I marked out the various holes for the interior light, sun visors, grab handle etc:

KVlhU1i.jpg

Then finally I simply drew around the headliner to get the overall shape and sizes onto the cardboard. As you will see, I made various notes as I went, for example marking the positions of the seams:

05TCBfs.jpg?1

Thankfully, it all looks quite symmetrical, so it should be OK. I can now get this all measured up and look at ordering some materials.

I will still probably add another 20 mm or so all round to allow for any possible errors etc, just to be on the safe side. Naturally, it will be easy to cut off whats not needed, but not the reverse!

Note!

As Jess's car had a sunroof, I took the opportunity to mark this on my template as well. By the way, my intention is to make this template available to anyone that wants it - either in some kind of electronic format (although I don't know what or how at this point :lol:), or simply by loaning it out to people to use for the same purpose. 

Have a nice day everyone.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Shaun400r said:

Could be a stupid comment but have you took into account where the bars go through the extra material you will need to make the sleeves ?

Hi Shaun, thanks for your comment - which is not stupid at all.

The short answer is yes, but I’m not exactly sure how I am going to show that on the template...

Jess did say that I could dissect his headliner, but I’m not going to do that. I think I will just have to end up using material or string to work out how much excess to allow.

Thanks again!

A couple of small steps forward on the headliner project over the last few days:

1) I have now sourced and received a better material to make for the cross rod sleeves.

2) Today I ordered three samples of headliner material (White, Ivory and Black). I cant quite decide whether to go for White, which I think was the main colour originally, or use he Ivory, which is what it has discoloured to now... Of course, the Black goes in the centre and highlights where the roll over bar is positioned.

I'm tending towards the White, but will make the final call once the samples arrive.

• Like 3

On 17/01/2021 at 14:33, H-400 said:

Well done, it is an idea to cover the top of the dash. When I drive towards the sun the top-dash reflects in my screen and can be dangerous. 

Its an early car think! Think the dash pinnacle had a gloss finish, later cars had a matter finish, flocked is the way to go! 

The samples of the vinyl headliner material have now arrived. It is a good quality material and the pattern is also a good match, so very happy about that. However, I am now more confused about whether to use the White or the Cream for the bulk of the area...   :rolleyes:

The Black is fine as you can see:

Here is the White:

And this is the Cream:

I assume that the existing material has discouloured over the decades, but the Cream is a better match with what is there now. So, decisions, decisions - any thoughts from you guys?

Does anyone know what colour it would have been from the factory?

Thanks in advance.

Hi IanMc,

just a thought before you order your materials, I installed my own headliner of which I ordered from East Kent Trim Supplies and one thing that springs to mind is that I had a small convector heater inside the car while installing the headliner in order to soften it up slightly and the material became quite stretchy which was very useful in getting rid of creases especially round b and c pillars and the roll bar on roof.

is the material you are considering able to be stretched? If it’s not I could envisage it to be very difficult to fit without creases.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I would go for the cream. My first Manta (1978 model) had the same headliner with the black "roll-cage". I remember my friends noticed it too and I came up with the story the Manta was designed for rallysport so it had an integraded rollcage😂. To check the colour: try to clean a part, if it hurts doesn't harm caus you'll fit a new one.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Hi IanMc,

just a thought before you order your materials, I installed my own headliner of which I ordered from East Kent Trim Supplies and one thing that springs to mind is that I had a small convector heater inside the car while installing the headliner in order to soften it up slightly and the material became quite stretchy which was very useful in getting rid of creases especially round b and c pillars and the roll bar on roof.

is the material you are considering able to be stretched? If it’s not I could envisage it to be very difficult to fit without creases.

Thank you Mike, very good points. 

It is listed as a headliner material, but certainly well worth a double check! 

4 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Go for black as any marks will show up 

no matter how carefully you are the will be some marks 

In work we clean hands where gloves and still some marks on the head liners 

Thanks Wayne, very good point. I want to keep the original look and feel though, so the Black is only going across the roll bar area. 

I feel that if the whole thing was Black, it would feel quite dark and oppressive inside. 

Today I have had confirmation that the materials I selected are suitable for making a headliner - happy days!

So this weekend I will be ordering the Black and Cream in appropriate lengths :thumbup

• Like 1

Bit of a bits and pieces day today really...

1) Tidied up the garage and binned some of those things that you keep just in case, then you never need them...

2) Ordered the headliner materials

3) That then allowed me to rearrange some things and bring out one of my Birthday presents from the family - a blasting cabinet! :thumbup

4) After getting all of the hoses and air connections sorted out, I decided to make some small changes. Instead of drawing the grit off the bottom of the tank, I decided to bring it into the tank from outside. After watching one or two videos on Youtube, this seems to give a better flow of blasting medium when your compressor is not very big/powerful. So I removed the bottom bung, drilled through my bench and then arranged the medium pull off pipe into a bucket. It seems to work quite well. I know its ugly, but it wont be used very often, so I will just set it up like this every once in a while...

I had a old hammer handy, so decided to try blasting the head of that.

Before:

And a couple of minutes later:

Have a nice weekend everyone.

• Like 7

While I am waiting for the headliner materials to arrive, I thought it might be a good idea to do some tests on the samples to work out how to incorporate the 'rod pockets' and double check that the (Vinyl) material would stitch together OK.

The first job was to take the material for the pockets (which is called cotton bias binding tape in the trade apparently...), doubled it over so it was edge to edge and ran it through my sewing machine:

Then I took two of the Vinyl samples and laid them out outside face to outside face, then laid the pocket on the top - like this:

Then run that through the machine, and you should get something like this:

...and on the side you will see from inside the cabin:

I'm pretty happy with all of that, so I just need the material to arrive now  :thumbup

• Like 9

Hi All,

A few days ago I got lucky and found these on Ebay for £30 - original GM, brand new, never fitted and with all of the original fittings...

So the question now is - does the car look better without them?:

Or with them?:

I'm leaning towards with them fitted, but I'm not 100% yet and I really don't want to drill the car or the mudflaps, then regret it later...

Have a nice weekend everyone.

• Like 3