Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

Found some time between Grandad duties this weekend to get the rear ones fitted:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The fronts wont be here for a while, so I now need the headliner materials to turn up before I get too bored  :lol:

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 9

On 19/03/2021 at 16:18, IanMc said:

Hi All,

A few days ago I got lucky and found these on Ebay for £30 - original GM, brand new, never fitted and with all of the original fittings...

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

So the question now is - does the car look better without them?:

Or with them?:

I'm leaning towards with them fitted, but I'm not 100% yet and I really don't want to drill the car or the mudflaps, then regret it later...

Have a nice weekend everyone.

I would say it looks better without, but that's just because I was watching them. I went to buy them half a day later and they'd sold to you!!!! 😁😁😁

They look great and well worth the £30 to protect the back panels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Today I made a tentative start on the headliner. It turns out it was a case of one step forward, two steps back I am afraid.

When I fully unwrapped the vinyl, I found that both colours had beep creases in them from the folding at the suppliers and the associated transportation.

I phoned the supplier to ask for some help and advice, which was to either try an iron on a low setting and/or a steamer. We have both of those, so I tried both - sadly neither worked well enough to give me confidence to proceed. So after another call to the supplier it was agreed that they would send me replacements, but this time on a roll - which is how I had assumed it would be supplied the first time to be honest...

Anyway, so now I am waiting for the vinyl again - fingers crossed it show up before next weekend, but I am not betting on it. Disappointing, but worse things happen at sea.

I then decided that I could at least prepare the rod pockets, so that's what I did.

First cut the strips a bit longer than you know you will need - you can always shorten them! I think I only need four, but I cut five as I know that I am bound to mess one up along the way  :lol:

Then fold them edge to edge and run it through the sewing machine:

Eventually, you should end up with them all looking a bit like this:

Enjoy your weekend everyone  :thumbup

• Like 4

3 hours ago, hoobby said:

Hi Ian do they want the old stuff back if not would give you the chance to do a practice run or create templates.

Hi Graeme, unfortunately I have to return the original order...

Disappointingly, the replacement headliner material didn't show up before Easter, but that wasn't a big surprise I guess.

The good news is that these little guys did though:

Yes a set of brand new, genuine GM front mudflaps with all original fittings and instructions - incredible really. All mine, sent over from sunny Cyprus.

That will give me a little bit of Cav work this weekend.

Not forgetting that I also have my Daughters Mini to work on - replacing the damaged panels: Front bumper, Bonnet and Tailgate - all sourced in the correct colour: Cosmos Black Metallic for just £115  :)

It wasn't that the ones fitted were rotten or anything, they were just 'cosmetically challenged' and generally letting the car down.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, I hope that the Easter Bunny doesn't let you down :thumbup

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 3