Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

I suppose it started with a kind of curiosity. Im an electric motor ,panel man by trade so i was willing to have a look and get to understand how they work which is actually pretty simple .ive had cars in the past with dim  glowing ign lights and never realy knew what actual part was causing it.but when you open up an alternator with a glowing light and find a bad diode,replace it and then re assemble and everything is now ok you start to get more interested.well i do anyway !.trouble is ,its kinda addictive !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Julian said:

I hope that  all O M O C  members realize that we are getting all this excellent info for just 25 quid a year, I have never seen so much detail in any other club.

Well said that man, it’s such a bargain.

To put that into even more perspective, £25 is about 15-20 minutes labour at a main dealer!

Im just passing on my own knowledge to help a fellow enthusiast out. And im only a forum member myself albeit a fair few years worth.

A while back someone commented /complained on why they had to pay a membership fee whereas non members can come on here and view nearly the same as fully paid up members.well i used to be a fully paid up member but didnt personally see any benefit further to me anyway.this is a car club AND forum for manta /cav enthusiasts which i certainly am.if the forum had been restricted to only paid up members i for one  would not have been on here now paying to give advice !. Not receive!.

my only gripe on here now is that the forum does seem to have slowed down immensely in terms of posting etc recently i think due to facebook versions of the forum. Its a pity realy because were not all facebook fans .

Im also on the omega forum and that seems to be non facebook infested yet but theres time !

• Like 1

After pricing up the parts I would need, it was only about a tenner more to get that recon one delivered.

The seller assured me that I would be refunded if it didn’t work, so no brainer really.

Sincere thanks to Chris (cam.in.head) for all of his help and advice on this matter, greatly appreciated mate :thumbup

I have certainly learned a lot today!

Edited by IanMc

On 15/02/2018 at 19:42, IanMc said:

Is that a crack in the case ? just where the flat area of the bracket transitions into the curve of the case, going through the dark stain ?

8 hours ago, MANTAMAN said:

Is that a crack in the case ? just where the flat area of the bracket transitions into the curve of the case, going through the dark stain ?

Yes it is MANTAMAN, very well spotted Sir.

I had actually already dealt with that by using some of that chemical metal stuff -  one of worlds finest inventions.

Edited by IanMc

10 hours ago, IanMc said:

After pricing up the parts I would need, it was only about a tenner more to get that recon one delivered.

The seller assured me that I would be refunded if it didn’t work, so no brainer really.

Sincere thanks to Chris (cam.in.head) for all of his help and advice on this matter, greatly appreciated mate :thumbup

I have certainly learned a lot today!

you are more than welcome ian

makes you wonder who actualy changed the rectifier years ago and why they didnt remove the linking strip inside especialy when it actualy had nowhere to connect to.cant see it being a repair shop but you never know. ive seen brand new motors on installations still with links in that shouldnt be there so nothing surprises me.

ok . the ebay one looks a good deal .keep us posted. all the best to you and thanks to othermembers comments too  . cheers....

14 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

Im just passing on my own knowledge to help a fellow enthusiast out. And im only a forum member myself albeit a fair few years worth.

A while back someone commented /complained on why they had to pay a membership fee whereas non members can come on here and view nearly the same as fully paid up members.well i used to be a fully paid up member but didnt personally see any benefit further to me anyway.this is a car club AND forum for manta /cav enthusiasts which i certainly am.if the forum had been restricted to only paid up members i for one  would not have been on here now paying to give advice !. Not receive!.

my only gripe on here now is that the forum does seem to have slowed down immensely in terms of posting etc recently i think due to facebook versions of the forum. Its a pity realy because were not all facebook fans .

Im also on the omega forum and that seems to be non facebook infested yet but theres time !

The Facebook group is great for getting immediate answers to a request for spares etc, for technical advice like you are giving you cant beat the forum.

• Like 1

Morning Chris,

Could you do me one last favour with regards to the Alternator please?

Can you confirm the colours and positions of the wires that go to the two spade connectors on the side of the unit. There is a plug that should make it imposible to get it wrong, but these two wires have been repaired before and perhaps the terminals may have been removed and  switched by mistake inside the connector block itself.

Basically I want to make sure that whoever has been messing around in that area before has got it right. It does seem right according to the wiring diagram, but just want to be sure before I plug the recon unit in...

Thanks yet again!

Hi Ian, I've got an old Delco-Remy alternator in my garage on a shelf. Never used it cause I'm more  Bosch minded .

If you have a problem with a Bosch the regulator/brusches/diodes are easy to replace.

If you are interested you can have it for free, just need to pay for shipping. (from Belgium)

But!! Got to test it first if the thing works! If not, the case isn't cracked...

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Hi Ian, I've got an old Delco-Remy alternator in my garage on a shelf. Never used it cause I'm more  Bosch minded .

If you have a problem with a Bosch the regulator/brusches/diodes are easy to replace.

If you are interested you can have it for free, just need to pay for shipping. (from Belgium)

But!! Got to test it first if the thing works! If not, the case isn't cracked...

Hi Herman,

That is a VERY generous offer!

Unfotunately I have just ordered a recon Delco unit from EBay (£30 delivered).

However..... being a bit of a Magpie (read hoarder 😂), I might still be interested in a ‘spare’.

Would you be able to let me know the shipping charge please? As I won’t be in any hurry, you can get a quote for the slowest/cheapest service available.

Of course:

1) I don’t want to inconvenience you.

2) If any other members are interested I will gladly step aside.

Thanks again Herman, top man! :thumbup

also ian to prevent any shorting of wires i would get rid of that engine earth strap thst someone has put on near the alternator. it belongs on the complete other side of the engine.

it bolts to engine at bottom of block/side using m8 short bolt and under the chassis leg .

whoever had that car before certainly had someone fiddle about with it !

59 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

hi ian. the 2 spade side connector that plugs into the side should have a blue/ white wire connection to IND and the other wire (originally  a red with black covering) goes to the main alternator terminal from the BAT  terminal.see pictures in email . cheers.

Thanks Chris, in that case my car is correct as it is - well worth checking though. Thanks for the E-mailed photos by the way :thumbup

I did realise that the earth strap was on the wrong side, but when I went to move it during the Christmas break I spotted that the bolt on the other side had been sheared off.... Another little job for the list :lol:

Thanks again for your help with this.

While I am waiting for the recon Alternator to arrive I decided to start doing some planning for the upcoming body repair marathon.

- Firstly I took as many photos as I (easily) could of all affected areas.

- Next I reviewed the restoration thread mentioned above (Project J). Incredibly that car was in a pretty similar condition to mine in most areas.

- Next I sorted all of my photos into groups/areas and dropped them into a Word document, so that I could easily add notes and comments as/when required.

- Finally I have started to write up a plan of attack for each area. Naturally nothing ever really goes to plan, but I always believe that you at least have to hope it does lol

So it terms of actual work, it’s going to be a bit quiet for a few days.

A small update tonight, but fairly significant - to me anyway... :rolleyes:

The recon alternator arrived today, just fitted it and no more red light and the gauge sits in the 'normal' charging area - so happy days.

My intention is to now strip it down again and give it a lick of paint.

Cheers all, have a good evening.  :thumbup

• Like 1

Excellent news ian. 

Problem is 

you got me curious and ive ended up taking my alternators off to overhaul them.including my spares ones as well !.the ones on cars and in use are ok. Just relubed needle bearings and cleaned rings then nice coat of paint. But i found a diode open in one spare unit and a low pair of brushes in another so currently making up good useable spares. 

Built myself a basic oscilloscope to test them with a while back so that should show up any other issues. 

Cheers mate .happy tinkering !

• Like 1

Had the recon alternator apart and gave it a quick lick of paint.

For some reason, it seemed like a good idea to go for a Black and Silver scheme :rolleyes:  :lol:

Anyway, I think it looks OK and as long as it keeps throwing some Volts into the Battery that will do for me...

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2

Hi Ian, friend of me brought his Manta cause of a bad alternator, so while I was working on his car I had the chance 

to try the Delco-Remy (so I had not to try it in my GSI...).  The Delco-Remy works fine so if you are still interested...

Gonna inform about the shipping, 

grts,Herman.

I decided that I just couldnt quite bring myself to fit a nice shiny alternator to shoddy, oily, generally cruddy looking mounting brackets, so.....

Before:

And just after the first coat of paint, so its still very wet (two more coats applied since):

So basically I have held up the progress of my own job now  :lol:

Edited by IanMc

Ah ah serves you right !.   Thats what you did to me when i dismantled an alternator for you. Ended up dismantling and doing all of mine too!. 

All worth it in the end thou.

at the end of it all you will have a car ,mostly built by your own hands that stands out from the crowd and probably be a rare sight on the roads where you are. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2018 at 14:34, H-400 said:

Hi Ian, friend of me brought his Manta cause of a bad alternator, so while I was working on his car I had the chance 

to try the Delco-Remy (so I had not to try it in my GSI...).  The Delco-Remy works fine so if you are still interested...

Gonna inform about the shipping, 

grts,Herman.

Sorry Herman I totally missed this yesterday.

Yes I am certainly still interested, as long as the postage cost isn't too silly of course - many thanks!

Have a nice evening.

3 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

Ah ah serves you right !.   Thats what you did to me when i dismantled an alternator for you. Ended up dismantling and doing all of mine too!. 

All worth it in the end thou.

at the end of it all you will have a car ,mostly built by your own hands that stands out from the crowd and probably be a rare sight on the roads where you are. 

Fingers crossed matey!  :thumbup

OK folks, a smallish update this weekend.

This afternoon I refitted the freshly cleaned and repainted alternator brackets. The eagle eyed ones among you will immediately notice that I changed my mind on the colour last night :rolleyes: - more time wasted... :lol:

And with the Alternator back in its rightful place delivering 14v to a very grateful battery  :thumbup

ps unfortunately the new belt I ordered hasn't turned up yet, but that's only a two minute job so that can wait till later.

Have a nice evening everyone!

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 1