C20LET Manta A burning a bit of oil.

DiscoDave

Hi chaps. 

Wondering if anyone has come across this situation I’m having. 

My Manta A with C20LET is sometimes burning oil. It does it as the car comes to a stop, like at a set of traffic lights, durning normal driving conditions, and at full running temp. Ok when cold. If I come to a stop smothly and gradually it won’t burn any oil, but if I stop normally or abruptly a big puff of white/blue smoke comes out the exhaust for a couple of seconds, then it goes away. 

Any thoughts?  

13 hours ago, 399 road said:

There's a baffle mod listed on SBD's website for inside the rocker cover. Check to see if this has been done. If it hasn't, you sometimes get that puff of smoke as oil runs into the inlet. 

Interesting. That makes sense. But I’m surprised it needs baffles for normal road driving. I can understand for the track. I’ll check it out. Cheers for that. 

• 1 year later...

Ah yes, I know the one. Just checked it, the baffle plate is still present and complete. I’ll be sure to do it. 

Just so I understand, the oil runs along the baffle and ends up getting into the small pair of breather pipes and subsequently into the manifold? 

9 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

Yes, block off the small one both ends anyway.

then the larger one run to a catch tank rather than recycling it. 

Ah yes, I know the one. Just checked it, the baffle plate is still present and complete. I’ll be sure to do it. 

Just so I understand, the oil runs along the baffle and ends up getting into the small pair of breather pipes and subsequently into 

Thanks very much. I’ll be sure to do that. 

I started to take down the head, and found something interesting. Following removal of the rocker cover I noticed number one inlet valve stem oil seal (the only one on inlet that’s visible at this point) looked like it was sitting high. I managed to get a thin screw drive in (only just) and managed to rotate the seal freely. 

Pardon my slight ignorance to the xe/let, I am a tech, but I’m only just gaining experience with this engine after purchasing my Manta A 4 years ago with it already installed. 

I wouldn’t of thought the seal should rotate so easily. 

Anyway, I’ll have the head off in a few days, between doing everything else.... (working through my wife’s To-Do list). 

If it’s a popped off oil seal, it’ll explain a lot. 

Thanks again. 

Dave

Ah yeah well that’ll be your cause then.

id replace the lot if you are having the head off. May as well Re lap the valves too. 

Also so noticed your not a member. 

Get your hand in your pocket and become a member of the club and Get a project thread up Dave. 

Edited by Paul Barrett

• 2 weeks later...