Stripped coupe non sunroof shell

Seems a lot of money at £2500

Probably depends on the amount and quality of spares.

Opel manta gte project as seen in pictures

Car is now a bare shell that requires a lot of welding 

Car comes with lots of spares including numerous body panels, glass, repair panels, exclusive bumpers, South African bonnet, etc 

Tons of spares!!!!! 

Axle is a Salisbury 4HA with jag locker diff (cost nearly £1000 alone) 

No engine or interior 

Price is £2500 for cat with all parts

IMG_2271.JPG

Edited by Mickfrad

• 2 weeks later...

From talking to other members about these  i believe its similar to the Ascona B Diesel bonnet but i cant find or have ever seen pictures of the Manta one. Personally i think its a bit 'fugly' :lol: and would ruin the lines of a beautiful car like the Manta :mellow:

opel-ascona-b-2.0-diesel-jedan-3-europi-slika-64722351.jpg

Edited by CRAZYDAVE

35 minutes ago, mantasrme said:

The bulge on all the opel diesel bonnets i've ever seen is to allow for the fact the diesel CIH engines are extra tall compared to a petrol CIH

Maybe its an Ascona diesel bonnet that the seller has then without realising it .....maybe..:unsure:

11 minutes ago, evo3000 said:

Maybe its an Ascona diesel bonnet that the seller has then without realising it .....maybe..:unsure:

That did cross my mind.......

8 hours ago, Kevin Abbott said:

I have touched the aforementioned manta b power bulge bonnet, kneel before me :lol:

Spill the beans then was it Manta and horrid or just horrid:lol: 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have been doing some research into the origins of this bonnet after its ended up in my possession :unsure:

I believe it is from south africa but isn't from a manta as such. Its from a mk1 cavalier that was sold by GM in SA with teh manta nosecone under the Chevrolet brand and was called a Chevair its also refered to as Vauxhall U car for some reason. Didn't have a diesel engine but did have a 2300cc petrol engine that originated as a 6 cylinder chevy engine that they redesigned as a 4 cylinder. Must have been a bit tall for the standard bonnet hence the slight bulge to accommodate it.

More info on this site HERE you can't see much of a bulge in the pictures it is there but very subtle. When looking at it next to a genuine manta bonnet it is much more noticeable

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Does the bonnet have four parallel slots in the internal cross-bracing instead of the irregular/tapered ones on a Manta?

If you put a straight-edge across the underside, how much taller is it at the highest point compared to a standard Manta bonnet?

18 hours ago, KAA said:

Does the bonnet have four parallel slots in the internal cross-bracing instead of the irregular/tapered ones on a Manta?

If you put a straight-edge across the underside, how much taller is it at the highest point compared to a standard Manta bonnet?

Yes it does, I'll post pics later. It's a little hard to measure but I make it about 12mm at front and 16mm at the highest further back.

On 2/20/2018 at 21:56, mantasrme said:

I have been doing some research into the origins of this bonnet after its ended up in my possession :unsure:

More info on this site HERE you can't see much of a bulge in the pictures it is there but very subtle. When looking at it next to a genuine manta bonnet it is much more noticeable

Fantastic link Mantas, cheers!

On 2/20/2018 at 21:56, mantasrme said:

Here are some photographs showing the Chevair bonnet as original fitment on the Manta 400 road cars. You can see the slightly raised profile in the side view of the white car.

opel_manta_1981_images_2.thumb.jpg.02ec2a9ebb7e91cb52c1fcad138f7515.jpg

The silver 400 shows the different top profile. On a standard Manta bonnet the central crease line runs nearly the full length of the bonnet and only blends out approx. 200mm from the rear. On a Chevair/400 bonnet the crease line disappears about 400mm from the front, with the main central bonnet area being higher and flatter. All quite subtle but noticeable when you look closely. You can see it quite well in the silver car picture.

All done on the 400 to give extra clearance for the intake plenum and tracts cast into the cam cover, plus the crankcase breather pipe routed over the engine.

images_opel_manta_1981_1.thumb.jpg.d08a3f9d5abf995c99a7060a6313d5c7.jpg

• Like 1