Replacement Oil Cooler Manta B — Recommendations

Atlantean

Today I was helping a mate do some work on his 81 Manta B 20S automatic. I noticed the oil cooler was leaking. This oil cooler looks as though it has been patched before and it doesn't look factory to me but I could be wrong.

I'm guessing he could replace it with a new universal one quite easily — has anyone any recommendations on a replacement oil cooler? 

Something like this would probably work.

IMG_4576.JPG

IMG_4578.JPG

IMG_4579.JPG

IMG_4580.JPG

Edited by Atlantean

My Cav auto has the bottom mounted heat exchanger for the automatic trans as andyc describes.

You friends car may have been sensibly modified as these radiators appear to be quite rare. In fact while I was searching a few weeks back, the only link U found was to a Seller in Germany. Therefore I’m hoping mine lasts long enough for the car to make it to the road....

I hope that helps a little.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IanMc said:

My Cav auto has the bottom mounted heat exchanger for the automatic trans as andyc describes.

You friends car may have been sensibly modified as these radiators appear to be quite rare. In fact while I was searching a few weeks back, the only link U found was to a Seller in Germany. Therefore I’m hoping mine lasts long enough for the car to make it to the road....

I hope that helps a little.

Yeah! This one looks far from factory — but for whatever reason it's leaking so time for a new one. 

I'd say it's been replaced by a manual rad as these have got hard to come by. I'm glad I've seen this topic as I'm think of fitting a cooler in place if the one in the bottom of the rad as I may start towing with the sportshatch and this would be a much better way of keeping the gearbox fluid cool. (now I kick myself for selling the two spare rads I had that were manual) 

• Like 1