Manta i200 at auction

On 17/01/2018 at 22:16, chrisb said:

Spoke to irmscher man the other night about this, he is aware of it going to auction now, apparently it was dealer converted to "i200" spec when new, but didnt have interior fitted and didnt come through the normal Steve Thompson cars route but another dealer thats listed on the anglia auctions website.

I think it was the one listed for sale on here last year that needed new floor pans as it had been repaired with flat steel plates if anyone remembers. 

I noticed a post on Facebook says it was converted to 'i200' spec by AGJ Motors in Pontefract.

By co-incidence, I came across this photo a few days ago and thought the name rang a bell. So presumably AGJ Motors were a bit more than your average Vauxhall/Opel dealer back in the mid-80's.

Manta 400 Works Spec.

Opel Manta 400. Prepared to full works specification by Tim Ashton and Gavin Cox at BTR Preparations, Castleford Yorks, for AGJ Motors in Pontefract,Yorks. 2.4 litre Phase 2 engine by Swindon Engines.Kevlar panels,made in Switzerland. This early publicity shot taken in early 1983.

Oulton Park

• Like 4

On 29/01/2018 at 23:38, Mickfrad said:

A couple of manta coupes on eBay at the moment this one that's been on recently 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302620916009

well underpriced and owned by uncle Alan apparently 

IMG_2563.JPGalso this one different seller but also uncle Alan's car

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282827594332

IMG_2565.JPG.c6bc06d0f139271bcd832a24f9136eec.JPGSame description with contact details and email addresses. 

I wonder who's cars they are and where the photos are from.

Buyer beware 

Classic cars this is up for £10 k !

anybody no wot the real price offer to bid on the white exclusive on eBay should be !!

7 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

Yep C925 is back on again at 99p using a different hacked account this time. Reported the listing to Ebay, hopefully they will remove it before someone gets scammed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/opel-manta-gte-low-mileage/302623775266?hash=item4675c85a22:g:b-cAAOSwuHdactcc

Play em at there own game ,scam them .

11 hours ago, starmist said:

What are they gaining from continously relisting?

Even if it's up a few hours they may get a few bites, they prey on people hoping to get something on the cheap.

Nearly as bad as the ***** who told my 90 year old Granddad they were the Gasboard and needed to look at his meter, luckily they were con artists and not out to hurt anyone but they took his wallet off the side, I'd told him before never let anyone in without ID but the Gasboard trick got them in :angry:

Not that bright though as they are currently residing in HMP as they left fingerprints and were well known. 

• Like 1

GOOD! they should take them out to sea, strap them to blocks and throw them overboard. Lets see them use their breath wisely then! i.e - holding it instead of ripping honest folk off. 

I worked for an old lady once and she had the 'waterboard' around, three guys turned up. Had turned the water off to her house and once in robbed a load of stuff. Heartbreaking to hear how she felt and how it had effected her, again if they were ever caught i would 'waterboard' them.

• Like 1

It could be a member on this forum doing it ! it seems to be taken down a couple of hours after someone on here spots what they are upto, admin should be able to monitor the ip addresses and usernames that visit this thread when it is taken down,just as a rough idea.. cant be that many unless this thread is open to all who dont have an account at all?

Edited by saving mantis

I doubt it's somebody on here. As well as the Manta(s) there's about 50 others. All sorts including Motorhomes and caravans. 

I did note that yesterday, there was a Nova Sport that had a bid of £20K on it before it was removed. Interestingly, it wasn't there the next time they all reappeared. Hopefully nobody got fleeced with that one! 

I also noticed that the whole batch had exactly the same upload time. 

The English used in the descriptions sounds a bit iffy to me, but these days that perhaps doesn't mean much! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 15:27, Danny D114BCW said:

That Cav made strong money! 

I wonder who bought the i200? I can imagine it wont be a member and it will be on ebay next week once they have a poke around.

Did it have the correct engine in it?

Well Danny was right, its back up for sale at £5750 in Buckingham not far from Ian Virco.

Sold for £5300 inc buyers premium at recent auction.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C962120

Edited by Rapierdave

Just to give everyone a heads up on this i200 my Brother and I own this car

Unfortunately we could not agree a deal at the auction so it never sold.

Decided to bring it back and advertise it ourselves

If anyone is interested in this very rare Manta please private message me

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul C said:

Looks like ACA were a bit premature putting the result on their site. I notice if you look now it does show as unsold.

9 hours ago, Paul C said:

Keep it, the value is only going rise ( rapidly at the moment it would seem ) and come along to a car show or two, you never know with a for sale in the window you might connect with the right person.

• Like 2

On 18/02/2018 at 11:28, Paul C said:

I'm guessing that's why you were looking for some Blitz fabric a few months back then! ;)

Also noticed it's yourself that bought that rather nice Exclusive Coupe recently.

Grand - Im glad that you guys still have the car and that it is in the UK still.....it is probably worth spending some money on to get it up to MOT standard, at the very least.

Apologies I missed out on this thread on here, I was busy discussing the same thing on Facebook (which is something I very rarely do as I think that it devalues the forum a little bit).

I have lots of history of this car and over the years have spoken to various owners. It certainly had an interesting life and was converted when new at AGJ Opel Dealers in Pontefract. C878 DWU may also have carried the reg number A40 GRT at some stage, although when and why is not documented on my records (Paul C - you may be able to advise us on that one).

As far as I am aware, the engine conversion would have been completed on this car, so it should have had the replacement Dizzy, New cam, Solid Lifters etc - it should sound like a bag of spanners if it this is the case and the exhaust should pop and burble a little too. It would definitely be notcably different from a standard GT/E. I would be interested to hear whether or not the solid lifters are still there. I have heard of some owners swapping them out for Hydraulics, as they can be quite noisy. The Irmscher Rubber cover was designed to cut down on this noise from the rocker cover and if that is still fitted - it is a rare thing indeed. I have a picture of this on the car, taken many years ago when it resided in South Wales.

I have a note on file that the original owner had Irmscher Springs fitted and also an LSD, so there was obviously some money thrown at it when it was new. It probably won't be quite a collectable as an Original Irmscher i200 but would certainly be of more interest to a collector as something a bit non standard. 

DWU 01.jpg

• Like 1