My manta gte project

Eamonnmanta

Hey everyone. New to the forum.

So I have an 88 manta gte exclusive that I've had hidden away in a shed for a few years and I'm finally getting to the stage that I want to restore it to what it deserves. 

I have a very clean shell starting out so not many rust issues at all apart from a few minor bits and pieces. My main concern is the engine.

I want to keep the original 2.0 engine in it but get to work on building up a bit more power in it and having it right. I have a set of carbs off an old gsxr 1100 that I'm considering using and putting the old injection system on the shelf for now. I can get the manifold made up for it handy enough. I can get a pump and fuel pressure regulator handy enough too. I know tuning will be a nightmare but I love a challenge. Has anyone done it before and have you and recommendations before I just tear into it.

After that I suppose it' the engine itself that will need the work, higher lift cam, oversized pistols, bigger valves? 

Thats another area I could do with help on as to what works and what doesn'. The budget isn't going to be all that big either so what can bits be salvaged from that are still available around the place. 

If anyone has good bits they need to offload I would interested too.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Like 2

On 21/03/2018 at 20:21, Eamonnmanta said:

Hey everyone. New to the forum.

So I have an 88 manta gte exclusive that I've had hidden away in a shed for a few years and I'm finally getting to the stage that I want to restore it to what it deserves. 

I have a very clean shell starting out so not many rust issues at all apart from a few minor bits and pieces. My main concern is the engine.

I want to keep the original 2.0 engine in it but get to work on building up a bit more power in it and having it right. I have a set of carbs off an old gsxr 1100 that I'm considering using and putting the old injection system on the shelf for now. I can get the manifold made up for it handy enough. I can get a pump and fuel pressure regulator handy enough too. I know tuning will be a nightmare but I love a challenge. Has anyone done it before and have you and recommendations before I just tear into it.

After that I suppose it' the engine itself that will need the work, higher lift cam, oversized pistols, bigger valves? 

Thats another area I could do with help on as to what works and what doesn'. The budget isn't going to be all that big either so what can bits be salvaged from that are still available around the place. 

If anyone has good bits they need to offload I would interested too.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I’m the same iv got one tucked away cost a few bob but got everything to put it back together some day .

• Like 1

Trying to get any power out of those lumps! Is tough, big challenge, 

Dont think i ever seen, bike carbs, or even throttle bodies on a cih. 

Here is a wee link for further reading, these lumps are well over a 50 yrs old, design, but nothing is impossible

http://www.risse-motorsport.de/shop_content.php?coID=20

Any pics of your manta? Have sold a few in the past, what colour?

Best of luck with your project, i have plenty of parts if needed, Have you considered, rebuilding your standard engine shelve it, and fit a 2.3 turbo saab, carlton, or type 9 box, complimented by an LSD, money well spent, and car co6ld be converted back to standard when required, original gte was ans still is a easy and reliable unit to run

On 22/03/2018 at 21:53, ®evo03 said:

Trying to get any power out of those lumps! Is tough, big challenge, 

Dont think i ever seen, bike carbs, or even throttle bodies on a cih. 

Here is a wee link for further reading, these lumps are well over a 50 yrs old, design, but nothing is impossible

http://www.risse-motorsport.de/shop_content.php?coID=20

Any pics of your manta? Have sold a few in the past, what colour?

Best of luck with your project, i have plenty of parts if needed, Have you considered, rebuilding your standard engine shelve it, and fit a 2.3 turbo saab, carlton, or type 9 box, complimented by an LSD, money well spent, and car co6ld be converted back to standard when required, original gte was ans still is a easy and reliable unit to run

There' Just something about keeping the original lump that and kicking it up to my own build that kees me happy. Saying that tho I don' want it to be a money pit either. I know she'l never be the fastest on the road but she will still be my build. 

The high lift cams on that website ya have will be a good start anyway if I don' come across any spares. 

Blue manta coupe. I must dig out a few photos for ya. A few years since she's seen the light of day 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Changing the subject slightly, is that a Sunbeam Rapier next to your Manta?

I love the overall look of those cars, the sloping back and the twin headlights always looked really classy.

Good luck with your project by the way, the car looks in nice condition.

Always nice to see another Monaco Blue Exclusive on E reg. I am so glad I don't use photobucket anymore with all those adverts. You can upload pictures via the "Drag files here to attach" icon in the reply to this topic box, bottom left, if the file is on the computer/tablet/phone, you are uploading with.

Good to see you had a good shell to start with, mine was like Swiss cheese and a near total rebuild.

Have you made a list of items you require, as that would be a good start to try and get what you require. 

On 08/04/2018 at 08:31, IanMc said:

Changing the subject slightly, is that a Sunbeam Rapier next to your Manta?

I love the overall look of those cars, the sloping back and the twin headlights always looked really classy.

Good luck with your project by the way, the car looks in nice condition.

Very well spotted.. Not mine but getting a lot of work done to it at the moment.

On 08/04/2018 at 11:12, robah said:

Always nice to see another Monaco Blue Exclusive on E reg. I am so glad I don't use photobucket anymore with all those adverts. You can upload pictures via the "Drag files here to attach" icon in the reply to this topic box, bottom left, if the file is on the computer/tablet/phone, you are uploading with.

Good to see you had a good shell to start with, mine was like Swiss cheese and a near total rebuild.

Have you made a list of items you require, as that would be a good start to try and get what you require. 

Doing up the shopping list alright. First of all the engine will be getting its work done. Giving it a full rebuild, all new gaskets and bearings. Keeping an eye out for a good performance cam if anyone has suggestions. I'll have the head ported and if anybody has extra tips for bits and pieces while it's getting built im very open to suggestions to get it putting out decent and reliable power

On 11/04/2018 at 22:35, ®evo03 said:

Think you can put 2.2 carlton valves in exhaust side of head, first one i had had these, monaco blue, but not yours! It disappeared when i sold it! 

I've heard that alright so going to do a bit of research into it to see what way they will work best with cam. Need to check if the pistons will need any work after