Opel manta hatch 2.0 gte

Kashman

Hey guys 

Some great news

Hopefully my manta will be getting delivered to me nxt weekend

It's been parked up for 20 years in the owners garage she has a few dings around the body work alil bit of rust on the wing above the passenger front left headlight  and odd scratches here and there ...before I put it through a mot I would like to service it

can someone advise me the list of things I should do ie what oils to use etc as the plan is I will do what I can and the things that I can't do will go straight to chris in coventry who was recommended to me by Simon 

Thanks for reading

• Like 1

Before you start any engine work check that it has oil ,anit freeze in the engine 

Remove all spark plugs,put a bit of diesel in each clylinder crank engine BY HAND with a spanner on the crank bolt level overnight 

if the engine turns easy,crank the engine with the key to blow out the xs diesel 

carry out a compression test,Also check that the oil light goes out

If all ok replaced all fluids,filters,spark plugs,check timing 

Dont forget to replace the brake fluid 

1 hour ago, wayne ingham said:

Before you start any engine work check that it has oil ,anit freeze in the engine 

Remove all spark plugs,put a bit of diesel in each clylinder crank engine BY HAND with a spanner on the crank bolt level overnight 

if the engine turns easy,crank the engine with the key to blow out the xs diesel 

carry out a compression test,Also check that the oil light goes out

If all ok replaced all fluids,filters,spark plugs,check timing 

Dont forget to replace the brake fluid 

What oil should I use and why?

When l did my oil change l used 10 w 40 oil ,as the Manta was only used in the summer time the oil did not have to be 20w 50

Replace the engine oil after about 500 miles as the my be bits of crude in the engine 

l am correct in thinking that the engine has not run for some time

26 minutes ago, wayne ingham said:

26 minutes ago, wayne ingham said:

When l did my oil change l used 10 w 40 oil ,as the Manta was only used in the summer time the oil did not have to be 20w 50

Replace the engine oil after about 500 miles as the my be bits of crude in the engine 

l am correct in thinking that the engine has not run for some time

Yea we started her with fresh fuel and did the oil change...when i get the car im gona flush the engine then use 20w50

Il get some pictures up when she gets home

Edited by Kashman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys jus a quick update...

It' was a successful day today thanks to the creator of the havens and the earth

I have serviced the manta!

..by flushing the engine then changed the oil and oil filter using 1040 semi synthetici replaced the spark plugs using ngk now the rev meter reads around 850 to 900rpm...once warmed up

Next on the list is to... deliver the car to chris in coventry soo he can flush the brake sysem. .and replace the ventilation pipes around the petrol tank that are perished and broken...

Does the tank need to come out for the ventilation pipes to be fitted  ?

Do you guys think I should replace the timing chain? 

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking around the neck of the tank and reached to feel the rubber pipes that come off it.. it just crumbled in my hands soo that was the start to see what the tank was like as chris from Coventry said he can get the tank refurbished if the tank had holes etc but thankfully after playing around trying to take the tank off banging my head against the haynes manual I come to find that the tank is in excellent condition so I started the work...pretty proud of myself

also I was itching to see if my 16inch 9j borbet wheels fit... so I tried on the rears and they fitted perfect boi she looked good! 

• 1 month later...