1984 GTE

mantadoc

I may need to dispose of this and would not like to see it go for scrap.

1984 GTE Coupe, White  with beige Recaro

Located in Cheshire

Stock as a rock, except for the glass (not factory) sunoof.

Bought by my brother in 1987 and he pumped 8 gallons of wayoxl in to the car.

Since then has been registered to my mother at some point in between.

In 1990 had an accident and rear right quarter and rear panel replaced.

Was dry stored for a number of years in the 1990s an pulled out and ran fine in 1999, I fitted new fuel lines and brake lines and I think a water pump. Also I put a plate on the bottom of the new quarter / sill.  Oh and I welded the wing panels carefully to repair the wing rail on the wing without taking visible paint off.

Left sitting outside since 2000.

Current state, the rear right quarter needs replacing, rotting from Window down, Drivers door is horrible.

Battery box has holes and let water in, and carpet is green on both drivers and passenger side in the footwell so likely water ingress into both front footwells.

The bonnet had holed so one of mine is one it.  Right wing is not good.

That said with carpet out it may not be terrible so I may do this.

**THERE MAY WELL BE OTHER AND PLENTIFUL ISSUES, AND MY MENORY MAY NOT BE ACCURATE, BUYER BEWARE NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND IMPLIED OR GIVEN AND IT WILL HAVE SOLD AS SCRAP ON A RECEIPT IF PARTED WITH**

I dare say I could get it running for a few feet of rubber pipes if that is deemed critical but as we know running gear  / engine is not the hard bit on these.

Any interest PM me.

I had hoped to get around to restoring this as a good non-sunroof straight car with known history, but time is not on my side it may well disappear if left outside unsealed another 5 years.

Edited by mantadoc
  • Like 1

Right, I have messages from 3 people so the order is first come first served.

All have been replied to

What I will do next is get down to where the car is (in Cheshire and I'm in Greater Manc) and take a shed load of photos and come up with a reasonable price because having welded these cars over 27 years I know  what will make it viable or not is how much rust there is. Hopefully the 8 gallons of waxoyl has stood the serious parts of the structure in good stead.  It really is a shame the battery box has gone and let water in.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, still not been down to Crewe, at least not with a Camera - Still considering what to do as best course of action for me..

I will need to also part with all the below at some point and a heck of a lot more besides includes...…………….

• My 1991 J reg non-sunroof coupe. 
    • Runs and Drives if I put a battery on it and drop it on the floor
    • Needs front wings and A pillars forward spraying
    • Non sunroof shell
    • Tatty interior especially the headlining
    • All welding done on the monocoque
  • 1984 GTE coupe white non-sunroof, but with glass aftermarket sunroof fitted, the car I mentioned earlier
    • Condition as earlier posts
    • bought by bro in 87, 8 gallons of waxoyl pumped in but sitting since about 2000, unfortunately battery box has leaked water in
  • 400 mile on new block 2.4
    • with 2,2 plenum
    • With frontera wiring loom pared down and Motrinic 1.5 ECU
    • GTE Sump with dipstick tube welded into sup at the right height to come with it
    • Allegedly block was replaced under warranty, no engine no on block, this is how Vauxhall shipped them back then.  After warranty engine work vehicle was smashed / written off and I bought the engine in 1998 /1999 and fitted the 2.2 plenum and a Manta flywheel ready
  • 1x RallyTech 400 Kit
    • These are the ripple free from recently made mould ones RallyTech did
  • 1x 400 kit sold to me by Drew some time before 05/06 as a genuine 400 kit
    • RallyTech moulded off this as ripple free, though the edges off the rear arches were a little rough as someone had ran filler around with their finger to blend them to the panel,
    • There are bolt on rear quarter type as a proper 400 road car kit.
    • The front valance looks copied as thinner and grey gel coat, it is one to take the 4 below lamp lights of the proper early 400
      • You could obviously get a plain one from RallyTech
    • The panels are maybe twice as heavy as the copy kit
  • 1x Rallytech bonnet
  • 1X Cav coupe OEM rear panel NOS
    • Like the Manta panel except for the holes for the Vauxhall wording and the bit where the number plate wire comes through
  • TJM front hubs 5 stud
  • 2 x 5 stud Royale half shafts
  • A fair few quad headlights
  • Lot of trim and mirrors
  • About 3 sets of each of klokkerholm:
    • arches,
    • sills,
    • inner wing repairs,
    • jacking points AND 
    • axle spring mounts
  • Red Top / 16 Valve conversion parts
    • 1.8 Sump gearbox
    • mounts
    • dizzy
    • oil pickup pipe etc etc
  • Centre consoles
  • 5 speed conversion transmission tunnel panel
  • Lots of glass and door seals various colours
  • Lots of instrument clusters
  • Lots of AFMs and Airboxes
  • Lots of ECUs
  • Racks of indicators and door mirrors, lots of lefties
  • New sprayed but unused sunroof panel
  • GTE 5 speeds, probably two
  • GTE ronals
    • Two Silver ones are on the A reg coupe as a pair went flat on it, it's white ones removed are in the shed with the other 3 to make a set of 5 with centre caps
    • Another set of 4 silver IIRC
  • 4 or 5 Irmscher Exclusive rear bumpers,
    • various conditions,
    • one with hatch mountings
    • Some hatch and coupe infil panels between lights
  • Oh and a non sunroof roof skin on frame from A 1984 Berlinetta, dry stored since I had the car as a rolling scrapper shell off Sean Hunt

Lots more...……………..

Potentially what do I want for it?  Wife's 1.2 Kadett coupe finishing off instead of money.

Interested?  If no one is interested in a deal to finish the Kadett to roadworthy standard I will obviously have to rethink

Edited by mantadoc

Allegedly built on a built up vehicle inspection report using new shell and various other parts to i240 spec.  Promptly stolen.  The damaged Road Sport kit was used by RallyTech back in the day to make their RoadSport moulds. RallyTech original owner confirmed the body kit story to me at billing one year, unsolicited, various members contradicted it lol.

If the old Manta Magics are complete enough you will see the car was for sale for a year before I bought it, it had apparently changed owners a few times and lost most of the interesting parts and had the fibreglass copy kit atrociously fitted and poorly sealed so it rotted the inner arches and outers out, mostly while sitting for sale at a guess. 

At this point I repanelled it and it is a now a narrow body, idea being to sort it out and then use the 5 stud hubs I mused with TJM about a few years before they were offered on here with the genuine 400 kit and Royale halfshafts and 2.4 to make something nice that was a keeper.

It has an Exclusive grey GTE interior, my 88, 1 previous owner  GTE auto engine and back axle, due to a pinion failure,  but with a manual box, the atrocious Granada calipers with new discs pads and flexi lines.  All copper hard lines, what was a new from brakes international master a number of years ago.  Exclusive green glass. Early proper voltmeter and circuit board with all the other pretty exclusive clocks, so the voltmeter responds instantly. Injection, Exclsusive spoiler and lights and steering wheel with cushion off my '88 as well as the bumper of course.

Edited by mantadoc

On 07/10/2018 at 20:45, mantadoc said:

Allegedly built on a built up vehicle inspection report using new shell and various other parts to i240 spec.  Promptly stolen.  The damaged Road Sport kit was used by RallyTech back in the day to make their RoadSport moulds. RallyTech original owner confirmed the body kit story to me at billing one year, unsolicited, various members contradicted it lol.

If the old Manta Magics are complete enough you will see the car was for sale for a year before I bought it, it had apparently changed owners a few times and lost most of the interesting parts and had the fibreglass copy kit atrociously fitted and poorly sealed so it rotted the inner arches and outers out, mostly while sitting for sale at a guess. 

At this point I repanelled it and it is a now a narrow body, idea being to sort it out and then use the 5 stud hubs I mused with TJM about a few years before they were offered on here with the genuine 400 kit and Royale halfshafts and 2.4 to make something nice that was a keeper.

It has an Exclusive grey GTE interior, my 88, 1 previous owner  GTE auto engine and back axle, due to a pinion failure,  but with a manual box, the atrocious Granada calipers with new discs pads and flexi lines.  All copper hard lines, what was a new from brakes international master a number of years ago.  Exclusive green glass. Early proper voltmeter and circuit board with all the other pretty exclusive clocks, so the voltmeter responds instantly. Injection, Exclsusive spoiler and lights and steering wheel with cushion off my '88 as well as the bumper of course.

Cheers Mantadoc, that's an interesting history. It would be great to see that one back on the road. It would certainly be eyecatching wearing a J plate.

On 7 October 2018 at 19:24, mantadoc said:

OK, still not been down to Crewe, at least not with a Camera - Still considering what to do as best course of action for me..

I will need to also part with all the below at some point and a heck of a lot more besides includes...…………….

• My 1991 J reg non-sunroof coupe. 
    • Runs and Drives if I put a battery on it and drop it on the floor
    • Needs front wings and A pillars forward spraying
    • Non sunroof shell
    • Tatty interior especially the headlining
    • All welding done on the monocoque
  • 1984 GTE coupe white non-sunroof, but with glass aftermarket sunroof fitted, the car I mentioned earlier
    • Condition as earlier posts
    • bought by bro in 87, 8 gallons of waxoyl pumped in but sitting since about 2000, unfortunately battery box has leaked water in
  • 400 mile on new block 2.4
    • with 2,2 plenum
    • With frontera wiring loom pared down and Motrinic 1.5 ECU
    • GTE Sump with dipstick tube welded into sup at the right height to come with it
    • Allegedly block was replaced under warranty, no engine no on block, this is how Vauxhall shipped them back then.  After warranty engine work vehicle was smashed / written off and I bought the engine in 1998 /1999 and fitted the 2.2 plenum and a Manta flywheel ready
  • 1x RallyTech 400 Kit
    • These are the ripple free from recently made mould ones RallyTech did
  • 1x 400 kit sold to me by Drew some time before 05/06 as a genuine 400 kit
    • RallyTech moulded off this as ripple free, though the edges off the rear arches were a little rough as someone had ran filler around with their finger to blend them to the panel,
    • There are bolt on rear quarter type as a proper 400 road car kit.
    • The front valance looks copied as thinner and grey gel coat, it is one to take the 4 below lamp lights of the proper early 400
      • You could obviously get a plain one from RallyTech
    • The panels are maybe twice as heavy as the copy kit
  • 1x Rallytech bonnet
  • 1X Cav coupe OEM rear panel NOS
    • Like the Manta panel except for the holes for the Vauxhall wording and the bit where the number plate wire comes through
  • TJM front hubs 5 stud
  • 2 x 5 stud Royale half shafts
  • A fair few quad headlights
  • Lot of trim and mirrors
  • About 3 sets of each of klokkerholm:
    • arches,
    • sills,
    • inner wing repairs,
    • jacking points AND 
    • axle spring mounts
  • Red Top / 16 Valve conversion parts
    • 1.8 Sump gearbox
    • mounts
    • dizzy
    • oil pickup pipe etc etc
  • Centre consoles
  • 5 speed conversion transmission tunnel panel
  • Lots of glass and door seals various colours
  • Lots of instrument clusters
  • Lots of AFMs and Airboxes
  • Lots of ECUs
  • Racks of indicators and door mirrors, lots of lefties
  • New sprayed but unused sunroof panel
  • GTE 5 speeds, probably two
  • GTE ronals
    • Two Silver ones are on the A reg coupe as a pair went flat on it, it's white ones removed are in the shed with the other 3 to make a set of 5 with centre caps
    • Another set of 4 silver IIRC
  • 4 or 5 Irmscher Exclusive rear bumpers,
    • various conditions,
    • one with hatch mountings
    • Some hatch and coupe infil panels between lights
  • Oh and a non sunroof roof skin on frame from A 1984 Berlinetta, dry stored since I had the car as a rolling scrapper shell off Sean Hunt

Lots more...……………..

Potentially what do I want for it?  Wife's 1.2 Kadett coupe finishing off instead of money.

Interested?  If no one is interested in a deal to finish the Kadett to roadworthy standard I will obviously have to rethink

Hi do you still have the roof panel if so how much are you after for it many thanks Paul